• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful input. I'd like a dual time zone watch and the Lange is the nicest I've seen. At the end of the day I can afford it (with a bit of saving) and so I suspect I will get it - I don't see the point of getting a No. 2 choice where I'm always be going to be thinking 'if only I'd got the Lange'.

My nervousness about price is more of a psychological barrier iykwim. Up until a year or so ago I'd not spent more than GBP 700 on a watch (I've got a Nomos Tetra, a Meistersinger and a 1962 Eternamatic). Then I splurged GBP 4500 on a Radiomir 337 I'd been eyeing for about a year. At the time it felt like a huge step - I couldn't imagine spending that much again any time soon. But the nervousness passed and the baseline was recailbrated. No doubt it will be again.

The Lange is lovely.

If you are open to other options, specifically JLC, I'd also suggest having a look at the Reverso Duo in whichever size suits you best. I tried the Grande version in the Bond St. boutique in London this week in both stainless and red gold and it's a really classy piece. There's a tactile thrill in flipping over the entire mechanism to reveal the second time zone and it gives you two distinct looks (white face and black face) in one watch. It's about $11,000.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're a Texas lawyer now, boy!

Surely...this?

Haha! Although it is pretty sweet, that may be a little out of my price range. Plus, I would rather have a Lange at that point :D. Great minds think alike...

I saw some pics of that GMT on watch anish... but I seriously doubt it looks so subdued IRL.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That guy should take a couple of links out, but maybe he feels he wouldn't be getting his money's worth. :D

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Newcomer Bob's Watches, which I heard is a reputable online Rolex guy, has a boxes and papers 5513 Sub for $5,300. Seems a little low so it may have been polished or something but it looks fantastic. Has a nice creamy color to the hands and markers and the hands haven't corroded which happens sometimes.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Newcomer
 Bob's Watches, which I heard is a reputable online Rolex guy, has a boxes and papers 5513 Sub for $5,300.  Seems a little low so it may have been polished or something but it looks fantastic.  Has a nice creamy color to the hands and markers and the hands haven't corroded which happens sometimes.  

I saw that! That 5513 looked really tasty. There are some pretty decent deals out there for some of the less uncommon (but still beautiful) models.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I saw that! That 5513 looked really tasty. There are some pretty decent deals out there for some of the less uncommon (but still beautiful) models.

Remember that other thing you were saving for, I vote to keep saving.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Remember that other thing you were saving for, I vote to keep saving.

Ugh saving is hard! And immediate gratification is so... immediate.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote new SD, Nuke. Immediate gratification is one thing, but this will be both immediate and long lasting :D celebrating my birthday weekend with a weekend off (finally!) with this bday present. Crappy pic, I know.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the new SD is one of the ideas... The other is saving up for a VC Traditionelle or a Journe Chrono Bleu, or potentially a Lange, AP RO 15202, Nautilus, something of that ilk. I think D was referring to my saving up for one of the latter :).

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Ugh saving is hard! And immediate gratification is so... immediate.
I think it'll be much easier to save for the more expensive choice now, and then purchase a Rolex in the future than the other way around. It's much easier to save and spend money before you add "complications" to your life. I'm sure everyone else will tell you to do the opposite, but you need one angel on your shoulder to offset the 20 or so devils on the other one.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yes I am. Keep saving as tough as it may be; I know Frilly unloading his dealer's entire Rolex inventory is not making things any easier.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attended a Cartier event today where they promoted their new Calibre de Cartier Diver, launched at SIHH earlier this year. Will go on sale tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pic. 42mm case size and 11mm height - very interesting. It's their first serious dive watch (depth rating of 300m), and the stainless steel version on a rubber strap is retailing in the low $8000s.

6u6uhyhu.jpg

Yes, I wore a Patek - but hey, I wore my Cartier cufflinks! Got to represent, ya know.

And since we are watch nerds here thought you would appreciate today's giveaway:

sezaqubu.jpg

Oh alright. Here's a close up of that fake Patek:

atehuvyn.jpg

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attended a Cartier event today where they promoted their new Calibre de Cartier Diver, launched at SIHH earlier this year. Will go on sale tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pic. 42mm case size and 11mm height - very interesting. It's their first serious dive watch (depth rating of 300m), and the stainless steel version on a rubber strap is retailing in the low $8000s.

6u6uhyhu.jpg

Yes, I wore a Patek - but hey, I wore my Cartier cufflinks! Got to represent, ya know.

And since we are watch nerds here thought you would appreciate today's giveaway:

sezaqubu.jpg

Oh alright. Here's a close up of that fake Patek:

atehuvyn.jpg
Obviously with the incorrect date, if has to be fake.
I wonder if the subdials even work.
nest.gif

Thank goodness you didn't bring a real watch, or they may have been intimidated.

That being said, I don't like the face of the Cartier.
It looks like it is confused with 7 of the hour indicators being roman numbers and the other visible markers are bars.
It just feels confused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads