• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice comparison, Frills. I'm sure Cartier puts out a quality product.. But at $8k on a rubber.. That's SubC range :D

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nuke - for sure don't let us sway you. We here on TWAT (at least I do) love to live vicariously through the various new acquisitions of its members. Although I think a Rolex would look great in your stable, that's not a reason alone to plop down that much for something that doesn't really sing to you - unless you just have stacks that you need to burn through.

Save for the dream. Unless you're like me and like to get distracted every now and then. But I can't say I really have a grail that's in Lange/Patek territory. Mine are much more affordable. For now. Well If you discount the JLC Extreme Lab 2.. :slayer:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mimo! Gosh, was over on TPP this morning, for my daily pre-work surf, and saw some vintage Rollies. I really want a 1675.
And the bakelite version (I think):
Some other pretties...
You're a Texas lawyer now, boy! Surely...this?
i approve both of these options!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the new SD is one of the ideas... The other is saving up for a VC Traditionelle or a Journe Chrono Bleu, or potentially a Lange, AP RO 15202, Nautilus, something of that ilk.
Figure out which piece you would really love to own and then make that your goal, be it a Rolex, a Lange, a Journe or whatever. If a Rolex is what you want there are tons of great options. But if what you seek is a fine 2 or 3 hand dress watch...having a Rolex or other sport watch will still leave your desire for a fine dress watch unsatisfied and you will still have that nagging itch that needs scratching. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Attended a Cartier event today where they promoted their new Calibre de Cartier Diver, launched at SIHH earlier this year. Will go on sale tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pic. 42mm case size and 11mm height - very interesting. It's their first serious dive watch (depth rating of 300m), and the stainless steel version on a rubber strap is retailing in the low $8000s.
What a great way to start the morning. The Calibre Dive watch will also be available on a bracelet for close to $9K I'm really curious to see the new Rotonde in steel, which should come out around the fall. It will be the first time that case has been offered in steel, it will have I believe a day night indicator, a second time zone and some other complication, use an in house movement and come in at I believe at close to $9,500 retail. That should be a very interesting piece. Hope you had lots of fun at the Cartier event.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes I am. Keep saving as tough as it may be; I know Frilly unloading his dealer's entire Rolex inventory is not making things any easier.

It definitely has not! They are some great looking watches. But I will keep saving, I just won't like it :nodding:

Attended a Cartier event today where they promoted their new Calibre de Cartier Diver, launched at SIHH earlier this year. Will go on sale tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pic. 42mm case size and 11mm height - very interesting. It's their first serious dive watch (depth rating of 300m), and the stainless steel version on a rubber strap is retailing in the low $8000s.

You know, I have been waiting to see this in the flesh for a while. I think it is one of the best novelties this year, at the very least from Cartier. I think it was a brilliant move on their part. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

And lovely pictures of the Patek, even if it isn't real! I love that close-up shot. The devil is in the details.

Nuke - for sure don't let us sway you. We here on TWAT (at least I do) love to live vicariously through the various new acquisitions of its members. Although I think a Rolex would look great in your stable, that's not a reason alone to plop down that much for something that doesn't really sing to you - unless you just have stacks that you need to burn through.

Save for the dream. Unless you're like me and like to get distracted every now and then. But I can't say I really have a grail that's in Lange/Patek territory. Mine are much more affordable. For now. Well If you discount the JLC Extreme Lab 2.. :slayer:

Yeah, I completely agree. There are many watches that sing to me... and that I want to acquire at some point... and those are the watches that it is hard to say no to. I could pick up a BLNR, or a SD4000, but that would completely destroy my "time-only" piece grail.

As related above by DLJr, I am in a unique position right now where my expenses are low, and my income is (relatively) high. I also have no one who can tell me what I can and cannot splurge on. So I have a unique opportunity to make an irresponsible decision, and plunk down some cash on a Journe, VC, Patek, AP, etc. I feel like the window is ever-decreasing. Once marriage comes along, so does home ownership, furnishing said home, bills, etc.

The Extreme Lab 2... sooooo cool. Have you seen that youtube video?

Figure out which piece you would really love to own and then make that your goal, be it a Rolex, a Lange, a Journe or whatever.  If a Rolex is what you want there are tons of great options.  But if what you seek is a fine 2 or 3 hand dress watch...having a Rolex or other sport watch will still leave your desire for a fine dress watch unsatisfied and you will still have that nagging itch that needs scratching.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

What a great way to start the morning.  The Calibre Dive watch will also be available on a bracelet for close to $9K  I'm really curious to see the new Rotonde in steel, which should come out around the fall.  It will be the first time that case has been offered in steel, it will have I believe a day night indicator, a second time zone and some other complication, use an in house movement and come in at I believe at close to $9,500 retail.  That should be a very interesting piece.  Hope you had lots of fun at the Cartier event. 

You know, I agree. The itch needs to be scratched. Any if any of my collections provide a good illustration--when I get my "grail" (attainable), I am usually a lot more content to explore some more "fun" and "exciting" options. Once I got some EGs, I was much more content to pick up some navy suede Aldens, shell loafers, etc.

And you know, I saw the Bracelet for the Calibre watch... it was a bit underwhelming. I really want to see the dive watch in the flesh though.

As an aside... I wonder how much I really like watches with bracelets. I find myself drawn less and less towards watches on a bracelet, and more towards watches on leather or gator. More of a comfort thing, especially while typing.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats Nuke!

RO spending the evening in the garden with the toddler.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RO spending the evening in the garden with the toddler.

That's a beauty!

And you know, I saw the Bracelet for the Calibre watch... it was a bit underwhelming. I really want to see the dive watch in the flesh though.

As an aside... I wonder how much I really like watches with bracelets. I find myself drawn less and less towards watches on a bracelet, and more towards watches on leather or gator. More of a comfort thing, especially while typing.
I'm not a fan of a rubber strap on nice watches...so I'd want to see it on a bracelet. I have seen the Calibre bracelet on the standard model. I'm curious to see if it gets modified at all, for the diving version. Its a nice watch, but probably not for me. Although, a few friends that are big Cartier collectors are very interested in acquiring one.

Anyway, wishing you luck with whichever watch you decide to focus on next.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh the good ol' days. For a watch-a-holic these can be the golden years. Don't get me wrong, my wife has been fantastic about this obsession and most of my collection has been obtained during our time together, but I completely feel you.

Throw kids into the mix(?) and it becomes a real balancing act for most of us.

Seeing as how you're young, mobile, and successful I almost want to tell you to go all out with reckless abandon. Almost.. hint hint.

As related above by DLJr, I am in a unique position right now where my expenses are low, and my income is (relatively) high. I also have no one who can tell me what I can and cannot splurge on. So I have a unique opportunity to make an irresponsible decision, and plunk down some cash on a Journe, VC, Patek, AP, etc. I feel like the window is ever-decreasing. Once marriage comes along, so does home ownership, furnishing said home, bills, etc.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Haha! Although it is pretty sweet, that may be a little out of my price range. Plus, I would rather have a Lange at that point :D. Great minds think alike...

I saw some pics of that GMT on watch anish... but I seriously doubt it looks so subdued IRL.

That guy should take a couple of links out, but maybe he feels he wouldn't be getting his money's worth. :D

Looks photoshopped.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

aesthetically, for pr0n viewing, i agree 100%. and yet when it comes to wearing, all my steel bracelet-ed watches get more wrist time. i find them more comfortable, they stick less, they are more durable and less prone to undesirable wear and tear, and on the wrist i actually love the look of the bracelet.

maybe thats because the only bracelet-ed watches i have had are rollies with an oyster bracelet, aka, the best bracelet ever, especially the new style. the RO is a close second.

oh, imho.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahhh the good ol' days. For a watch-a-holic these can be the golden years. Don't get me wrong, my wife has been fantastic about this obsession and most of my collection has been obtained during our time together, but I completely feel you.

Seeing as how you're young, mobile, and successful I almost want to tell you to go all out with reckless abandon. Almost.. hint hint.

+1

Yeah - once kids come to the equation, behaviour totally shifts and your start doing a lot more "estate" planning. ;) While you can afford it, why not? You'll have a longer window over which to enjoy your watch(es), too.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not bought a single watch since the birth of my kids.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Yeah - once kids come to the equation, behaviour totally shifts and your start doing a lot more "estate" planning. ;) While you can afford it, why not? You'll have a longer window over which to enjoy your watch(es), too.

Boy can I relate to that. I did so much horse trading before 2003 when our son was born. I did treat myself to my GMTIIC when the SS version was released in 07. That was the last watch I bought. There are plenty that interest me but priorities change...for now.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

have you bought any kids since the birth of your first watch though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads