• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Frills has ever visited TRF, but there are at least 10 posts a day asking that question. It's kinda a thing over there, now. Inside forum joke, haha.

Oh yeah. I'm "vc_watches" at TRF. My friends FremStar and I post threads poking fun at those "is it safe..." questions all the time hahaha.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this. I laugh every time I read it on IG.

However, I read a note somewhere... if you are in a foreign country and lose your wallet/passport, etc...
A cliché Rolex will get you more easily out of a bind than something more unique and desirable to the real watch enthusiast like a PP.

I do believe there is some merit to this.

With that said, if you're in a foreign country I bet your Rolex is also going to be a bigger target for thieves - much like in the US of A...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The name is Frills. No Frills.

apaje3eg.jpg

Quite like.

e4yta5a4.jpg

Proportions seem okay.

y4u3ubu3.jpg

The muscularity of the new watch...suits you. ;)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
mimo - you saw the blue dial 5140P?

Yes I did, just arrived in the local AD that I accidentally fell into while passing. It really is lovely. To be quite honest, although of course PP is everything PP is, I've rarely felt any particular passion for any of them. I admire them, but don't desire them in the same way I would some others. But that one just hits a sweet spot for me. I do have a thing for blue stuff I suppose, and that's something that projects so much better in person than in online renditions. The 5140p is seriously desirable. Perhaps that's rather obvious to most, but for me it's something new.

As for your Sub, the most obvious cliché is "definitive dive watch that is the model of perfect, understated yet iconic design, blended with uncompromising quality and practicality". It might live in far grander company at Maison Frilly, but stands up proud as the best of its kind - and that's a watch I really desire: nothing showy, all substance. Beautiful.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Oh yeah.  I'm "vc_watches" at TRF.  My friends FremStar and I post threads poking fun at those "is it safe..." questions all the time hahaha.

I was pretty sure I saw you over there. I have the same name everywhere.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes I did, just arrived in the local AD that I accidentally fell into while passing.  It really is lovely.  To be quite honest, although of course PP is everything PP is, I've rarely felt any particular passion for any of them.  I admire them, but don't desire them in the same way I would some others.  But that one just hits a sweet spot for me.  I do have a thing for blue stuff I suppose, and that's something that projects so much better in person than in online renditions.  The 5140p is seriously desirable.  Perhaps that's rather obvious to most, but for me it's something new.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment. A thin watch is a necessity for me, and as lovely as in-house chronographs may be, they are undoubtedly on the thicker side. But the 5140p is absolutely gorgeous. It has a slim profile, has wonderful proportions... it is what PP embodies to me. Definitely one of my favorite PPs (if not my favorite).

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The muscularity of the new watch...suits you.
wink.gif

Hahah thanks academe! Must admit it's chunkier than what I'm usually used to wearing... but then other people have dared to accuse Ms Upton of being relatively chunky too. And she's beautiful.

Yes I did, just arrived in the local AD that I accidentally fell into while passing. It really is lovely. To be quite honest, although of course PP is everything PP is, I've rarely felt any particular passion for any of them. I admire them, but don't desire them in the same way I would some others. But that one just hits a sweet spot for me. I do have a thing for blue stuff I suppose, and that's something that projects so much better in person than in online renditions. The 5140p is seriously desirable. Perhaps that's rather obvious to most, but for me it's something new.

As for your Sub, the most obvious cliché is "definitive dive watch that is the model of perfect, understated yet iconic design, blended with uncompromising quality and practicality". It might live in far grander company at Maison Frilly, but stands up proud as the best of its kind - and that's a watch I really desire: nothing showy, all substance. Beautiful.

The 5140P is really lovely and though I prefer the font and display of the 3940, these are trivial aesthetic quibbles. The blue dial is executed incredibly well, and if you put it on your wrist you're familiar with that eye-widening moment for me when I feel how such a slim watch carries that much heft - because of the platinum.

Love this Sub. Truly no frills.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Way to go, frilly!

I always figured that you either worked at Wayne Enterprises, or Universal Exports.

Maybe it's both.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The name is Frills. No Frills.

apaje3eg.jpg

Quite like.

e4yta5a4.jpg

Proportions seem okay.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/22/y4u3ubu3.jpg[/IMG[/SPOILER]][/QUOTE]

If there were a Rolex guide this would be a good example of how to rock a ND sub perfectly.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Way to go, frilly!

I always figured that you either worked at Wayne Enterprises, or Universal Exports.

Maybe it's both.

I am digging the new avatar Keith

::fistbump:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Had to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads