• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I love that AP. For me...the perfect dress watch.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I don't have a traditional dress watch, but this El Primero is the closest I have in rose gold.
I think you should get that AP above to compliment your RO.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's hers and his pairing. "Vintage" (first Aquanaut on a bracelet, circa 2000) Patek and Rolex (ref 1601 from the late 1960s).

y6egyqeh.jpg
Between the two a lifetime Patek!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ That should hold you over until the SD4000 comes out!! Congrats!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The name is patience. No patience."

:slayer:

I have to say, it looks pretty damn awesome on the wrist. I am sure you will be very happy with it!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Waaah! Looks great! (And when you replace it, feel free to give it to me...)

Congratulations my Frilly friend, this is long overdue, and I think you are right that it's a better option for you than a collectible vintage for the sake of it: it might even relegate the Nautilus to second place as your sandpit watch!

By the way, I saw a 5140p in person today. It is exquisite. Also, completely unrelated tangent, I noticed a bunch of new ROOs in the window: those perverts harbouring a guilty desire for a Safari are...not that crazy. Of all the ROOs there, that's the one that drew the eye in a good way. Yes, the hornback strap is a little pimp, but that sandy dial and the overal personality are really rather appealing.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That should hold you over until the SD4000 comes out!! Congrats!

"The name is patience. No patience."

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I have to say, it looks pretty damn awesome on the wrist. I am sure you will be very happy with it!

Waaah! Looks great! (And when you replace it, feel free to give it to me...)

Congratulations my Frilly friend, this is long overdue, and I think you are right that it's a better option for you than a collectible vintage for the sake of it: it might even relegate the Nautilus to second place as your sandpit watch!

By the way, I saw a 5140p in person today. It is exquisite. Also, completely unrelated tangent, I noticed a bunch of new ROOs in the window: those perverts harbouring a guilty desire for a Safari are...not that crazy. Of all the ROOs there, that's the one that drew the eye in a good way. Yes, the hornback strap is a little pimp, but that sandy dial and the overal personality are really rather appealing.

Thanks, brothers. I am of course familiar with all the clichés. "Everyone has one." "So ubiquitous." "Amateur hour, the first choice of anyone who doesn't know anything about watches." "Not safe to wear a Rolex in NYC subways." "New model has chunky lugs." But this is my F it, I like it, I'm getting it watch. Then again, all my watches are kind of like that. Hah hah.

Finally broke the Sub cherry. Feels good!

mimo - you saw the blue dial 5140P?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks, brothers.  I am of course familiar with all the clichés.  "Everyone has one." "So ubiquitous." "Amateur hour, the first choice of anyone who doesn't know anything about watches." "Not safe to wear a Rolex in NYC subways." "New model has chunky lugs."  But this is my F it, I like it, I'm getting it watch.  Then again, all my watches are kind of like that.  Hah hah.

All those things are true, but you still cannot deny that it is a great watch. Everyone has one for a reason.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Not safe to wear a Rolex in NYC subways."
I love this. I laugh every time I read it on IG.

However, I read a note somewhere... if you are in a foreign country and lose your wallet/passport, etc...
A cliché Rolex will get you more easily out of a bind than something more unique and desirable to the real watch enthusiast like a PP.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I love this. I laugh every time I read it on IG.

However, I read a note somewhere... if you are in a foreign country and lose your wallet/passport, etc...
A cliché Rolex will get you more easily out of a bind than something more unique and desirable to the real watch enthusiast like a PP.

I don't know if Frills has ever visited TRF, but there are at least 10 posts a day asking that question. It's kinda a thing over there, now. Inside forum joke, haha.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love that AP. For me...the perfect dress watch.

The Jules Audemars Extra Thin (IMHO) is a delicious watch, and would be next on my acquisition list if I hadn't been recently smitten by Langes. The 2013 version with guilloche dial is pretty stunning, too:

...Of course, it may be a longtime between now and the time I purchase my next watch, so perhaps this may sneak back onto my list. I do love APs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads