• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha!

What do you guys think? Have I rationalized the redundant purchases enough?

Frilly AKA "No Patience"

rotflmao.gif
Sound like a fun game plan! Looking forward to seeing pix as the watches find homes on your wrist and your wife's wrist.
I don't plan to rock the white myself . . . Mrs. TC requested it.

13928354323_e4140a9735_z.jpg
Yea...the white strap sort of reminded me of white ceramic watches I've seen for women by Chanel. I greatly prefer seeing the PAM on a white strap on your wife's wrist. PS...your dad is funny.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big, tattooed muscular trainer wore a Nixon today. Originally designed for skateboarders, it's tough enough to withstand major wipeouts. Guess it's tough enough for gym work.

hy3u3yvy.jpg

Yes, my Exp I is my gym watch.

No, we are not holding pinkies-to-thumbs in this pic, Dino944. Just saying.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It really is a very appealing watch. Even outside the gym/homoerotic environment. The Nixon, however, although I like the quirky crown and subdial arrangements, is inherently lacking in beauty.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one of my favorite GO's. I many times wondered if I should've chosen this over my current JLC Master Control..

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's hers and his pairing. "Vintage" (first Aquanaut on a bracelet, circa 2000) Patek and Rolex (ref 1601 from the late 1960s).

y6egyqeh.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you have made quite the entrance :).

Great watches!!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just getting caught up with TWAT as we've had visitors.

Reverso Easter Monday:

I love the way the blued hands catch the light under different conditions.

The sun is finally shining in Escocia and we've been out in the park:

Because of where I live, we need to be reminded when golfing is not permitted (see sign):

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Academe, Unless someday they do something amazing with a next generation Daytona, or I went vintage (which is now serious $$$), I think I'm set with the ones I have. Besides I have this 16528 which has developed a rosey patina so hopefully this covers your suggestion.
As for dress watches with black dials, of the ones you posted, I like the standard production 2 hand Jules Audemars the most. I like the officers case of the Patek a lot, but I find its dial a bit busy and I wish it did not have a date window and the silly outline around it. The other pieces don't really appeal to me. I like black dial watches particularly for sports watches, but sometimes I feel they seem to lack some depth on a dress watch. Even the ones that have guilloche rarely seem as elegant as silver dials with guilloche. I have one dark dialed watch with guilloche and its nice, but depending on the lighting some of the details get lost compared to silver dialed siblings. If you love the look of it then go for it. I think I would still need a classic silver dialed dress watch, in addition to a black dial dress watch but that'st just me.
I like that vintage Daytona; the patina is lovely and adds so much character. I've come to more fully appreciate the vintage Rolex thing in recent years, the more I see well-kept examples in the flesh and the more photos that I see like this one. I don't think I was necessarily thinking of buying a black-dialled two-hander; it was more that I hadn't really thought about them too much until I read the Bolshoi article, then started to do a bit of research. I suppose with simple and elegant two/three handers (like the ones I've been discussing), I do find that the small details can come to matter quite a lot. Dual colour is a fairly major design feature, and I hadn't been thinking of black dialled watches (and hence was curious about others' thoughts)... They are certainly not a substitute for a white dialled watch, and I fully agree that one might need a white dialled dress watch in the stable if you had a black dialled one... However, I think what struck me about some examples is the extent to which the black dial could actually add depth to a the dial of a minimalist watch, rather than taking away from it. It strikes me that the applied indices on the AP and VC examples I posted seem to "pop" a bit more. The same is true for something like the Reverso 1931:
Also what I like about the black dials is that they can make the rose gold tones of a watch case seem that little bit richer and more lustrous; sometimes with a silver or white dialled watch, the reddish tints in pink/rose gold can look a little bit more washed out. The AP Jules Audemars is a good example; in certain light, the silver dialled rose gold version seems a bit less lively:
Of course, still a beautiful watch, but a bit less "pop". But perhaps contrast and "pop" are not what one wants?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads