• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came for the minute repeaters, stayed for the civil discussion about cultural relativity and stereotyping. Is is classist to observe that watch folk generally skew toward the more articulate end of the spectrum?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A fair question, to which I think the answer is only "sometimes". I'm no watch collector (although, if it helps, my main watch is a vintage Omega!), but thanks to this thread have taken a great interest of late. Which has led me to view posts on other forums from time to time when I had a specific question. And that, in turn, has shown me that watch afficionados can be as rude, petty, small-minded and just plain stupid, as any other community online.

However, our beloved TWAT is a veritable oasis of reason, intelligence and mannerliness - a concept so alien to the 'net that even the text editor thinks it's a typo. I don't think watch folk are a class. But I do think a certain class prevails in this thread. :)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is something about the way Newcomer's name is spelled in this post by Stitchy that made me LOL.  But I cannot put my finger on it.

Maybe we should, for that reason ALONE, stick to Nuke.

In regards to minute repeaters, I hate to say it, but I am COMPLETELY hooked on the concept. ****. I wish I did not love them, but I really do. On the other hand, Tourbillons are not really my thing (lest they are hidden), so that is a plus.

And Stitch--I definitely agree that it is a bit of a bottom-heavy piece. But you know what, I kind of like it because it is a little bit odd. For some reason or another, if I am going to spend that much on a watch, it needs to have some quirk to it that brings me in.

Mimo: you know, funny enough, I really do not care for black dials on dress pieces. Purely a personal thing. I Love black-dialed sports watches, but I guess from my childhood, I always associated a white, enamel-like dial with a dress piece. I prefer white, silver, beige, or even blue-dialed dress watches.

But you are right, if you dream, you might as well dream big. The case shape on the 10-day is super aggressive too, which I enjoy.

And Omega Male: you really are not kidding about that. At the very least, people put more time and thought into their posts on this thread than others. I find that many threads on WUS are not quite to the caliber of this one.

Last edited:

HorseHide

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a long (long) time but the recent cultural discussion prompts me to ask: What's wrong with his sport coat?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been lurking for a long (long) time but the recent cultural discussion prompts me to ask: What's wrong with his sport coat?

You mean this bad boy?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Do you like it, HorseHide?

If so, then just like we say about watches around here......that's all that matters.

Get your floral on.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Aww, Cylon, now where's all that LOVE, buddy?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong that I am strangely fascinated by the new Christophe Claret Kantharos?

I know that I am not supposed to like it. But there is just something wonderfully cool about the haute horologie sports watches sometimes. They just look very fun to wear.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong that I am strangely fascinated by the new Christophe Claret Kantharos?

I know that I am not supposed to like it. But there is just something wonderfully cool about the haute horologie sports watches sometimes. They just look very fun to wear.
I can't say I like the watch. However, I can say that looking it reminded me to look at your avatar again, which is F&ckin hot!

PS. I figure I should qualify the above statement regarding the avatar to state that on 7/1/13 Nuke's avatar is a great photo of Kate Upton, or as one would say in court, it is a fair and accurate representation of Kate Upton when she was a supermodel. I thought this is necessary in case you change your avatar to bearded lady or female orangutan ...plus its some Bar prep for evidence.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't say I like the watch. However, I can say that looking it reminded me to look at your avatar again, which is F&ckin hot!

I guess you cannot 'em all! I was not expecting that much support from your camp, of course :). We will always bond over our common love over Miss Upton. My new TWAT goal is to get a picture of her wearing one of my watches. Just need to find out how to go about that...

Sometimes I do crave fun watches though. Don't get me wrong, I love my JLC, I love my Speedy, etc. But sometimes I have that little child in me that wants to strap on that 47mm Panerai and rock out.

I know I am definitely in the minority here, but Richard Mille also attracts me in that way. In a way it makes you challenge your preconceptions of what a watch is, and should be, which I find interesting. Do I think I could put that much money down on a toy? Probably not. But they do intrigue me.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
many of those watches fascinate me as well by their mechanics. i just wish they were easier on the eye.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you cannot 'em all! I was not expecting that much support from your camp, of course
smile.gif
. We will always bond over our common love over Miss Upton. My new TWAT goal is to get a picture of her wearing one of my watches. Just need to find out how to go about that...

Sometimes I do crave fun watches though. Don't get me wrong, I love my JLC, I love my Speedy, etc. But sometimes I have that little child in me that wants to strap on that 47mm Panerai and rock out.

I know I am definitely in the minority here, but Richard Mille also attracts me in that way. In a way it makes you challenge your preconceptions of what a watch is, and should be, which I find interesting. Do I think I could put that much money down on a toy? Probably not. But they do intrigue me.
Hey, as I always say, no watch can be everything to everyone. I can appreciate the idea of liking something that is the complete opposite of your JLC. I occasionally, enjoy wearing something that is the complete opposite of my dress watches...but for me its more like wearing a green Sub. Once we are talking spending some serious $, I just can't fathom spending it on what to me is merely an expensive fashion watch...like an RM or some of the odd independents.

I have a friend who has owned an AP RO, a Patek Nautilus, several vintage Rolex GMTs, both in steel and in all gold 1675. For a while he wanted an F.P. Journe (I like some of their simpler designs, although they have a reputation for poor reliability). I could see someone appreciating a Journe, reliable or not. However, he scrapped that idea and his new dream watch is a Richard Mille. Just not my taste. No matter how simple or how complicated I just don't care for their designs. If it makes him happy, that's great, after all its not my bank account or my wrist that will be saddled with it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
many of those watches fascinate me as well by their mechanics. i just wish they were easier on the eye.
+1

While I appreciate their creativeness and functions, I could never consider buying something that I didn't find very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads