• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer has officially arrived today in New York City, so the color palette has shifted to brighter shades. Here I am standing proud and nerdy beside one of the lions in front of the New York Public Library with my trusty Nautilus 5711/1A.

Newcomer, does it still count as a "Frills pose" if I'm not wearing a beat up white t-shirt?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Sinn 856s (I won't usually be wearing this with a suit):
atuzu3a8.jpg
G]

Nice, but I would love to see a better pic (less blurry) with the jacket and shirt cuff.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share this pic with you all. Friend of mine attended a collector-exclusive Patek event last night in NYC - minute repeater and chronograph exhibition. You'll probably see pics of a similar event from Wednesday night in various forums, as they held one for the media and ADs then; the one on Thursday was for owners/collectors, limited to 100 peeps, and included guys like Michael Ovitz and John Mayer. Friend confesses that he wheedled his way in and jumped through hoops to get an invite - although this is also a guy who was in Geneva from June 9 to 14 on Patek's dime, so it's not like he has a puny collection.

This bad a** piece is a 5074 perpetual calendar minute repeater in platinum. Retail price is $630,000, if you can even get one since it's an application piece. Interesting aesthetics, and at 42mm the case and numeral design reminds me a lot of the 5070 (sans the chrono, plus a perp cal and minute repeater).

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wanted to share this pic with you all. Friend of mine attended a collector-exclusive Patek event last night in NYC - minute repeater and chronograph exhibition. You'll probably see pics of a similar event from Wednesday night in various forums, as they held one for the media and ADs then; the one on Thursday was for owners/collectors, limited to 100 peeps, and included guys like Michael Ovitz and John Mayer. Friend confesses that he wheedled his way in and jumped through hoops to get an invite - although this is also a guy who was in Geneva from June 9 to 14 on Patek's dime, so it's not like he has a puny collection.
L] This bad a** piece is a 5074 perpetual calendar minute repeater in platinum. Retail price is $630,000, if you can even get one since it's an application piece. Interesting aesthetics, and at 42mm the case and numeral design reminds me a lot of the 5070 (sans the chrono, plus a perp cal and minute repeater).
Beautiful. :drool:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will let this one slide. Let's not start a new trend or anything here though! The Nautilus looks very at home with chinos and a polo. Are those the Navy shoes from Leffot?

Also, I thought you might be interested in this article by SJX: http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2013/06/up-close-patek-philippe-ref-3970.html

Hah hah hah, I really enjoyed reading this article. So many references and statements about how the 3970 basically "sucks" compares to its "cousins" (the 2499 and the 5970 come up repeatedly):

"Widely regarded as less desirable than the preceding Ref. 2499 or subsequent Ref. 5970, the Ref. 3970 is nevertheless a significant timepiece."

"After those two came the ref. 3970 but it has never been seen in the same light. On the secondary market the ref. 3970 is the least expensive of all the Patek Philippe chronographs with perpetual calendar.

Because of the relatively large numbers produced - the commonly cited figure is about 4000 for the ref. 3970 while for the ref. 2499 it's only 349 - the ref. 3970 has never been as sought after. Even its successor, the larger ref. 5970 with an identical movement, is more valuable because of its shorter production run and presumably fewer numbers."

"The ref. 3970 will never eclipse its cousins in collectability or rarity..."

Not that I was actually gunning for a 2499 given its $300K entry price, but I did give the 5970 versus 5270 versus 3970 decision a whole lot of thought. It is true that 3970 pricing is cheaper than for the other references (which my wallet very much appreciated). I suppose it really is less desirable in the collector's market.

But ya know what? I love my 3970. I love 'em both. More than the 5970s and the 5270s I've seen.

And in the end, that's all that matters. To me, at least.
biggrin.gif

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Sinn Winot - I dig the all black look, and legibility is top notch.

Well, I just arranged to re-purchase a watch that I had sold to good friend and fellow watch nut some 10 years ago. Hopefully I will be able to pick it up on the way home from work - pics to follow. Hint - it's a distant cousin to the Speedmaster, but it's not an Omega.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Newcomer, does it still count as a "Frills pose" if I'm not wearing a beat up white t-shirt?

Posing is posing, my friend, but for this look I think you've got the watch all wrong. While waiting (again) in a certain mall, I couldn't help but look at this for you:

But just in case you're not quite manly enough yet for the "SAS" edition and its camouflage and "trigger", there's always this:

And if you're getting all that love, you can't forget Madame Frilly: that thing on the dial moves around with the rotor. Apparently it's a new-Perrelet patent. That not so many will want to steal...

Don't say I never do anything for you.
lol8[1].gif

Oh...yeah, the minute repeater's OK. But of all your watch wonders, I also like the 3970 best.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Hah hah hah I love everything you just wrote above, mimo!

Not everyone loves the 3970. I have a friend who was enamored of the idea of one, until he actually tried one on the wrist and found that its 36mm was too small for him.

He's putting it up for sale here:

http://market.watchprosite.com/?show=collection.detail&id=161568

This is a 3970 in rose gold, circa 1997. Looks mint, hallmarks crisp. How in the world you fall out of love with a piece like this, I do not know. But hey, to each his own.

Regularly retails for between $115 to $125K - a steal at $108K! Anyone interested....?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Winot, I think it's cool. But not as cool as your suit, and you're right about putting them together!

Frilly, a bit beyond my budget, by about five digits...OK six. But I will console myself with the fact that I don't wear gold so I couldn't anyway. Although I do think rose gold is incredibly beautiful. Maybe I'll get one for the lady in my life...!

As for my previous post, always happy to entertain! And you know you want one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads