• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rach2jlc - i dont know about vintage GP, but i do know that that watch is lovely. enjoy it.
Did you say Arca?
:drool:
My first real watch arrived last Monday. I can already say for sure that I love it.
Cheers, SKM
very nice. wear it in good health.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! yes, I tried the GP forum but it was a little overwhelming for "general" viewing. I'm not a watch expert and just buy based on (1) my aesthetic interests, (2) if I can afford it, and (3) (if vintage/used) if the seller is someone I know and/or trust!

When I bought it we had the back off and so I should have written down the numbers, but didn't think about it at the time. Will definitely do next time I'm at my local jeweler who services my goods.
wink.gif

I think it's from the 50's or 60's... based on similar styles. But, again, it's hard to tell. Has the loveliest horse-gallop sound... tickaTICK, tickaTICK, tickaTICK. lol

Hope somebody here might have some info or lead me in the right direction.
Yes, I agree its most likely from the 1950s or 1960s. I am not sure what kind of info you are looking to find out about this piece. Check Amazon and see if anyone has written a comprehensive book about GP (you might find it interesting). I have one for VC, and it has photos of dress watches, reference #s, and a few other things, but truth be told, there isn't a lot beyond that about older vintage pieces. You should try bringing it to a GP boutique, if you live near one or if you travel someplace that has one. Give them the ref # and with some research they should be able to tell you more about the watch, such as when it was made. However, I doubt you will find much more than that. There just wasn't a lot written about some of these dress watches back then.

Great looking watch. Enjoy it!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Certainly would, but I fear as Stitchy likes his watches on the large side, the budget might be unrealistic! I was just looking at vintage VC and PP, but bigger than 34mm seems rare and expensive.

A JLC Grande Ultra Thin would seem like a sensible choice. Or if thin isn't essential, how about a nice 40mm no-date Nomos Zurich? You don't have any Germans yet, Stitch...me neither...

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, I agree its most likely from the 1950s or 1960s.  I am not sure what kind of info you are looking to find out about this piece.  Check Amazon and see if anyone has written a comprehensive book about GP (you might find it interesting).  I have one for VC, and it has photos of dress watches, reference #s, and a few other things, but truth be told, there isn't a lot beyond that about older vintage pieces.  You should try bringing it to a GP boutique, if you live near one or if you travel someplace that has one. Give them the ref #  and with some research they should be able to tell you more about the watch, such as when it was made.  However, I doubt you will find much more than that.  There just wasn't a lot written about some of these dress watches back then. 

Great looking watch.  Enjoy it!

Excellent info and advice; thanks!

:cheers:

how you been by the way?

Excellent. Working hard and enjoying IRL existence... so not online much. :)

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting at the gate for my flight to New Orleans for my bachelor party. Hopefully both the watch and myself make it back in one piece.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Orleans resident here--leave the watch at home! Just kidding, have fun and be safe. New Orleans is about as rowdy as it gets for bachelor parties.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be fine. Enjoy our fine city!

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice. wear it in good health.
Very nice choice. Congrats! I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment!

Thank you both for your kind words. Indeed, I enjoy it a lot and count on using it for many, many years. When I bought it, I thought I had bought the watch of my life, but alas, the Portuguese is just so nice as well!

Cheers,
SKM

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin should fulfill that need.

:nodding: AP has some fine offerings as well.

^^ Certainly would, but I fear as Stitchy likes his watches on the large side, the budget might be unrealistic!  I was just looking at vintage VC and PP, but bigger than 34mm seems rare and expensive.
A JLC Grande Ultra Thin would seem like a sensible choice.  Or if thin isn't essential, how about a nice 40mm no-date Nomos Zurich?  You don't have any Germans yet, Stitch...me neither...

yeah, defo more of a budgetary issue. they both make models large enough for me to feel comfortable in.

Excellent. Working hard and enjoying IRL existence... so not online much. :)

glad to hear it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads