• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice shooz, Frilly.

dcg, I hear the Speedmaster is perfect for timing naps LOL.

Loving the canines!

What a group.

And you guys watch Iron Man movies for the timepieces.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Gwyneth Paltrow. TWATters love ladies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NonServiam - delicious pic, as always.

dcg - dag looking good

frills - give me that watch. ;)

Using "need for want" was what built SF.

:nodding:

Thanks bud, learned from the best. Thought I might as well (finally) put that Rubi square to use :).

:blush: you are too kind.

No need to be sad, nothing is better than when you have convinced yourself you "need" something.

the sad part is the lack of funds.

i was browsing my JLC catalogue and i LOVE this. want so bad.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Batman challenging the hulk. I need to pick up another pair of Corthays. Unfortunately, I bought my first pair a little too big. Bought them after a long day walking around in Paris, and when I came back stateside, they were half a size too big. Alas!

I quite like Corthay. For whatever reason the cognoscenti in some short-lived SF threads do not seem to like Corthay all that much, but the lasts really work for me and I like the shape of their 001 last right off as RTW.

This wingtip, for example, may appear to have a pretty "empty" vamp but I quite like the overall design, and the burnishing and blend of brown and olive is incredible in person, IMHO:

Nice shooz, Frilly.

And you guys watch Iron Man movies for the timepieces.

Thanks, Keith T! I don't watch Iron Man movies me-self for timepieces heh heh. But the movie does bring in some interesting design/style elements. I can't imagine there hasn't been a resurgence in interest in, say, Matsuda eyewear after being featured in the movie. Or, for that matter, Google searches related to "What eyeglasses does Tony Stark wear?" Hah!

Hey Frills,

On the few occasions where the Mrs. did wear one of my watches, my old Explorer 114270 and a Daytona, she was much more careful with the watches than she normally is. Although, I was still a bit nervous. Her Cartier TF takes a real beating as her daily wearer. Her dressier watch is a steel and rose gold Datejust, that she rarely wears. She has talked about getting a real dress watch, JLC Reverso or Piaget. She is very well versed in watches and jewelry (she might even be a bigger movement snob than me. She won't consider a quartz watch. I even have to remind her I own a quartz watch, a ref 17000 Rolex OYSTERQUARTZ). I think when push come to shove, generally she would rather have jewelry than another watch.

Hulk Like green and purple together. Hulk also a fan of Phineas Cole socks and neckties.

I don't worry as much about the 114270 when the wife wears it, although perhaps I should, since the lugs and bezel are mirror polished and prone to showing wear and tear. The brushed bracelet links are awesome for standing up to such abuse... which is why I am worried that the wife knows how to work the easy link clasp, setting the bracelet to exactly her right size. The 116520's polished center links and that "classically ding-able and un-polish-able" Daytona bezel raises the anxiety hackles! Hah hah!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ooooh a blue monster! Snazzy! Hey, there is no need to be ashamed of a Monster. It holds its own more than adequately. In house movement--check; original design--check; built like a tank--check; one of the best bracelets ever--check; quirky--check. What is not to love?

All true. Hey, I said it was ridiculous, not that I was ashamed :). But I like your use of "quirky"!

dcg, I hear the Speedmaster is perfect for timing naps LOL.

Loving the canines!

I'm not sure if that functionality was part of the NASA testing, but it has been part of mine, and I'm happy to report that the Speedy is performing up to specifications.

dcg - dag looking good

:slayer: You are the man for helping me to acquire the Speedmaster!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
This is Sylvia.

She is a mixed-breed "rescue" dog. About three years old.

Sylvia is also a big fan of the Cartier Roadster. (Coincidentally....who knew?)

If you were to suggest that it is an "uninspired" piece from a "jewelry house" that runs on a "pedestrian" movement, she will bark at you very loudly, and demand to be taken for a walk.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
+1 for the rescue dogs. My rescue loves watches, but to chew unfortunately.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dcg - it was my honor

frills - im a huge corthay fan. the arca is one of the moat beautiful shoes all time.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vintage Girard-Perregaux manual. Simple, classic, easy to read, flies under the radar.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Sylvia.

If you were to suggest that it is an "uninspired" piece from a "jewelry house" that runs on a "pedestrian" movement, she will bark at you very loudly, and demand to be taken for a walk.

Sylvia is lovely, and certainly has great taste!

frills - im a huge corthay fan. the arca is one of the moat beautiful shoes all time.

Did you say Arca?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Sylvia.

Sylvia is also a big fan of the Cartier Roadster. (Coincidentally....who knew?)

Sylvia very pretty, and has nice taste in watches. My problem with Thor is he would consider tasting the watches (actually he might just swallow one whole).
Nice to see some Cartier love here too!
Vintage GP manual; flies under the radar, easy to read, and simple/classic for work. I've looked around online for one like it to get some info, but have never seen one exactly the same. Any GP experts around?

That's a beauty. I'm guessing you tried the GP forum (I believe there is one on TZ or Puristspro). I am far from a GP expert, but it seems many watches from 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, (PP, AP, VC) just went by reference numbers. Companies often did not have collections they way they do today, for example today VC has the Patrimony, Historique, and Overseas, etc. Often times a watch back then may have been made for a very short span of time, a change or two is made, and there is a new reference number (although they probably used the same movement, until a new one was released). I doubt you will find much specific information regarding your GP, but it really is a beautiful watch. Enjoy it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first real watch arrived last Monday. I can already say for sure that I love it.

Cheers,
SKM
Very nice choice. Congrats! I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's a beauty.  I'm guessing you tried the GP forum (I believe there is one on TZ or Puristspro).  I am far from a GP expert, but it seems many watches from 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, (PP, AP, VC) just went by reference numbers.  Companies often did not have collections they way they do today, for example today VC has the Patrimony, Historique, and Overseas, etc.  Often times a watch back then may have been made for a very short span of time, a change or two is made, and there is a new reference number (although they probably used the same movement, until a new one was released).  I doubt you will find much specific information regarding your GP, but it really is a beautiful watch.  Enjoy it. 

Thanks! yes, I tried the GP forum but it was a little overwhelming for "general" viewing. I'm not a watch expert and just buy based on (1) my aesthetic interests, (2) if I can afford it, and (3) (if vintage/used) if the seller is someone I know and/or trust!

When I bought it we had the back off and so I should have written down the numbers, but didn't think about it at the time. Will definitely do next time I'm at my local jeweler who services my goods. ;)

I think it's from the 50's or 60's... based on similar styles. But, again, it's hard to tell. Has the loveliest horse-gallop sound... tickaTICK, tickaTICK, tickaTICK. lol

Hope somebody here might have some info or lead me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads