• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be the diamond version:
piaget_image.1498561.jpg

FWIW, it doesn't move me at all.
The Double Jeu is an interesting concept, but I'd rather have a single timezone Altiplano.
When it comes to funky designs for two time zones - my gold standard is still the FPJ Resonance. I just love the idea of the watch, love the design of it - whole package. One of my two grails.
FPJ makes some beautiful watches. However, the few people I have met that owned FPJ's found them to be very unreliable and requiring frequent repairs. Still beautiful designs.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true. I guess that's part of the charm :laugh:, like owning a Jaguar back in the days.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 5110 sure is a pretty watch. but the symmetry on the back of the FJP is a knockout.

vl2_image.850981.jpg

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep...

pp3zs6.jpg

:inlove:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patek 5110P

Yep, this would be the one I would chose.
Interesting that several people on the forum really like the 5110. I guess, no pun intended, timing is everything. When it was introduced about 10 years ago they became the bane of many AD's existence. Maybe ADs ordered too many, thinking it woud be a run away success looking a bit like their vintage world timer, although sans the enamel cloisonne. I can remember the two ADs my Dad and I regularly did business with making unsolicited offers to sell them at huge discounts to us, even when we were in specifically to look at other brands (and they were sitting on them in every case metal). Even on Timezone, it seemed the few people that would buy them, would then put them on the market within just a few months and its resale was very week. I think some people felt JLC's Geographique was a much easier to use mechanism if you really traveled, and it gave you additional useful information, date, power reserve, a seconds hand etc. Perhaps people really traveling needed more function than the 5110 offered, while the Patek was simple and pretty. Anyway, fast forward a few years, Patek revised the watch and now it seems like a more popular model and interest has arisen in the 5110. Always interesting to see how opinions and interest in some items becomes much stronger several years after they were originally produced.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Piagets are just marvelous. this is the first I've heard that some people consider it a "lesser" watchmaker

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Piagets are just marvelous. this is the first I've heard that some people consider it a "lesser" watchmaker
I was surprised, too, and don't have any reason to agree. Egos in the watch discussion world are pretty strange, from what little I've seen. I think whoever it was might have been talking about the really complicated stuff, or maybe lifting his nose at the more jewelled models.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was surprised, too, and don't have any reason to agree. Egos in the watch discussion world are pretty strange, from what little I've seen. I think whoever it was might have been talking about the really complicated stuff, or maybe lifting his nose at the more jewelled models.
Even if the peson was speaking of Piaget's complicated pieces or jeweled pieces the person really didn't know what he or she is talking about. Piaget's complicated pieces are very innovative, very complex, and of incredibly high quality...and I'd put them up against anything from "PP,AP, and VC." Whether or not one likes the jeweled stuff is just personal taste, and even Patek, Lange, AP, and VC have offerd jeweled versions of many of their complicated watches. In addition, Piaget's jeweled pieces and the workmanship they demonstrate in working with gems is probably of a much higher level of quality, and complexity than what we usually see from Lange, PP, AP. They are probably more famous for working with various gems than Lange, PP, and AP. Maybe only VC is almost as famous for working with gems in their Lord and Lady Kalla collections, but those are usually time only pieces, not complicated watches. The jeweled stuff isn't my taste, but I appreciate the workmanship that goes into making jeweled pieces.

Again, I don't own a Piaget, so no axe to grind here other than setting the record straight about a watch company that makes incredibly high quality products.

Cylon

Reaction score
Patek 5110P

This is my grail too. I prefer the hands straight hands as opposed to the "scissor handle" hands.

The Lange 1 Timezone is also nice too, but i prefer the PP

I told you guys I saw this out and about--some owner of a mediterranean restaurant had it on and my jaw dropped.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do folks think of this?

It's a pocket watch movement in a new case.

The cheapest I've seen a real minute repeater is about $50k.

I wonder if this would be just too big to wear on your wrist.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Back >>>> front..

while true, the front is plenty nice to look at. id wear it. :)

i love that watch. almost double the price of the 112. i tried it on, and thankfully it felt to big on my wrist. crisis averted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads