1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

That is a guy named Johnny whose shop is coincidentally right across the hall from Peter Lee in TST. The "shop" is really just his collection in which he sits all day chilling, smoking cigs and drinking tea. He sells something if he feels like it. I used to hang out there when I was getting stuff made at Peter's and just talk watches, learn from him and watch as he tinkered and played with his toys!

more pix of his shop.... it's SO cool...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about this watch but I really dig it...

[​IMG]

2. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Well-Known Member

A belated congrats on the MUT, I haven't been on SF much lately.

The accuracy is insane. First Monday after receiving it I wore it for five straight work days, not wearing it from early evening until morning again. And at the end of the five days I could barely see a one second variance.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

It really is insane in that regards. JLCs are usually accurate, but even over the course of a month, it would barely be off by a second or so. I am glad you are enjoying it, I was actually about to send you a PM to make sure that everything was alright. Not I want one again!

4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

coolest. thing. ever.

also, yeah, thanks g-d my JLC runs like a dream. also, i think i found a hookup for a new leather band. yay!

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

So I was told by my fiance to give her some watch ideas for a wedding gift for me. Budget is $10K. I really like the dive watch style and the fact they they are rugged so some scratches will only add character. A nicer dress watch is in the cards but I feel I would not wear it daily.

So far my ideas are:
    Omega Planet Ocean - Black dial, gray bezel, 42mm
    Rolex Submariner - undecided on color
    What other dive watches are on this caliber? I feel like I have went through a ton and none pique my interest.

Now I told her I like the 2nd hand market idea which would put a Rolex Deepsea or a IWC Portuguese Auto (though not a dive watch). I love the look of 70s sub with the patina and yellowish lume but she thinks they are too old plus she wants to see it in person.

Any ideas or pointers would be great!

6. in stitches

Try this maybe? It can be had right around 10k I believe.

Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox Tribute to Deep Sea

Happens to be I love this watch and want it so bad. I feel like I say that a lot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Newcomer

Or this bad boy--related:

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

also lovely, though i like the simpler non chrono on this watch for some reason. also, isnt that a touch more espensive?

9. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Need deets so I can search for it on the eBay.

10. Newcomer

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, 40mm. I sold it to Mr. Anthony actually!

11. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

Awesome fiancé! My wife gave me a watch as a wedding gift as well. Breguet Calssique. My favorite watch now.

12. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

Love that

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Watch is gorgeous. If it had a date it would be on my wrist by now

Blasphemy, I know ;)

14. Newcomer

I believe it comes right in at $10k. Usually you can get 15% off of ADs with JLC too.

15. McWu

McWu Active Member

If you're looking for a solid dive watch that'll do daily duty and come out 20 years later looking great? I've experienced a full spectrum of dive watches from Seiko to AP and one of the top contenders for this slot is still the Rolex Sub-C. Classic yet modern design, will do both dress/casual duty with ease, and has all the nice modern touches, including the one of the best bezels and clasps (with glidelock micro-adjustment) in the business. Plus, they can be had for well under $10k.

There are plenty of more "interesting" divers out there, but I doubt you'll find one that is as complete a package as the Sub-C.

1 person likes this.
  16. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

THe shop around the way (with the front facing Middle Road) has nicer people, better watches, and a better reputation. ARe you in TST now?

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I know that shop as well. Like I said, Jon's place isn't so much a "shop" as it is a guy with a collection who happens to have a storefront. At the time it was just fun to hang out and learn little details and some history of certain brands, watch him work on different pieces and have tea. I can't say anything for the people in the other shop but Jon is beyond "nice" so I'm not sure why you would mention that. Usually Peter would be working on something across the hall and I'd go get some chai and sweets from the Indian joints in Chung King Mansion!

Left HK and Asia in general last summer, but hoping to visit again next spring. Any one know anything about that last one... I believe it's "Cler"...??

18. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

hate to be that guy, but a rolex GMT IIc or the ceramic submariner. out of all the dozens of watches ive owned, these are some of my favorites. they hold value better, and are just all around great watches and like has been said...well under 10K. buy the rolex and a pair of G&Gs and still have some cash left over for a few shirts or ties. WIN!

1 person likes this.
  19. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

NVM

20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge Rolex guy but I agree it would make one heckuva wedding gift. The sub-c would also hold its value more than any dive watch which may not be that relevant since this will be your wedding gift. Alas the price increase last year probably puts the DSSD out of your range unless you have a very very generous dealer in which case please pm me his info too! Since its somewhat relevant to the past few posts, here's my wedding gift (from the in-laws) [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.