• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

but the "P" you are ok with? ;)
dopey - i think that is a lovely, simple and elegant watch. i am under the impression though, that piaget does not make their own movements, and the ones they order are not particularly amazing. but i could be wrong, and many dont care about that anyway.

You are wrong, at least with respect to ultra-thins. Piaget is one of the pioneers in ultrathins. Their current automatic is 43mm and spectacular. I think it is record breaking in a number of ways, as well, but I don't know how up to date that is:
This is their "stock" ultathin automatic:

As of 2010:"Like its Anniversary Limited Edition brethren, the Altiplano 43 mm watch equipped with the new Calibre 1208P is setting two new records: that of the thinnest mechanical self-winding movement on the market at 2.35 mm; and that of the thinnest watch in its category, measuring a mere 5.25 mm."

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but the "P" you are ok with? ;)
dopey - i think that is a lovely, simple and elegant watch. i am under the impression though, that piaget does not make their own movements, and the ones they order are not particularly amazing. but i could be wrong, and many dont care about that anyway.

I am more okay with the "P" because it is at the beginning of the word. I agree that the Patrimony is a nicer watch though I know the comment isnt exactly helpful.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am more okay with the "P" because it is at the beginning of the word. I agree that the Patrimony is a nicer watch though I know the comment isnt exactly helpful.

Would you agree that the big T looks better in the photo of the automatic I posted? I think it does, either because of the scale of the photograph or because of the extra word printed below it. In any case, the Piaget name has been printed like that since the 1950s, at least on their ultra-thins.

dbln79

Reaction score
Nice casual day at work:

Stiches, here is a closeup of the ammo strap:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry Stitch, but you are completely wrong about their movements. Piaget makes all of their own movements and they have often supplied them to other fine watch companies. I know you are a huge fan of tourbillons, so I suggest you take a closer look at their watches online (particularly some of their pieces with rectangular movements, they are very innovative). You could easily put their watches up against Patek, VC, AP, or almost any any other high end companies. Lange probably still has the finest finish of any non-independents...so that might be the one brand that is ahead of them in terms of quality (although with the exception of the Lange 1, I generally find Lange designs a bit too bland). The advantage Patek has is its resale...but it has that advantage to almost all brands.

Piaget doesn't have the prestige of Patek or Lange, nor do they have the brand recognition of say AP or VC...but their quality is impeccable. They are also a bit higher quality and more exclusive than JLCs. They are less expensive than comparable Pateks, APs, and VCs, and are often considered a bargain by many collectors. They may not be your taste, but they are definitely a top brand.
What do you guys think of this:

Hi Dopey,

Piaget makes a fantastic watch! They are often underappreciated and overlooked, but it has the benefit of being less expensive than some of the big names in the industry. The Altiplano is a classic and its workmanship is top quality! I own a few VCs dress watches, and an AP RO, and if I were adding a dress watch to my collection, I would lean very strongly toward picking up something from Piaget. I would much rather have an Altiplano than something from VC's Patrimony collection (unless maybe it was one of their Chronographs). IMHO, Piaget's movements are much nicer in terms of finish than what VC had previously offered on some of their time only watches (although VC seems to have stepped up their game in recent years). As for the comments about the brand's "Signature" I like that they "P" and "T" are the same height, its distinctive and sets them apart from others. Piaget is definitely on my short list of "Must haves."

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dbln79 - great pic, BFAM. thanks for the ammo strap pic.

dino/dopey, yeah, i lost my brain there for a minute, sorry about that. i had read all about their involvement in ultra thin innovation and their movements, and being a manufacture, but i had a brain fart of sorts and forgot entirely. as a supposed watch lover, and connoisseur, i feel very ashamed of myself right now.

dino - i am very familiar with their tourb, dont even have to look it up (i might just for some pr0n tho). and i have always loved it. one of the prettiest tourbs out there imo. and of course, very thin. and i agree with your above statement as well, they make some great looking watches and movements, at a relatively bargain type price. their tourb for example would be twice as much under a different name.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I will go to the boutique today to look at them if I have some time.
Edit; This is the photo that first drew my attention:

The Automatic Altiplano is beautiful watch. Although, to be honest I preferred the manual wind when I tried them on a few months ago. They are famous for their ultra thin movements (often breaking records for the thinnest movements). Also some of their watches have beautiful platinum rotors...ask if they have any with platinum rotors that you can see in person. Anyway, my preference for the manual wind is actually based on the ratio of the diameter of the watch to the watch's thickness. At 43mm the ultra thin automatic looked a bit too much like a thin pancake on a strap. While at 40mm the manual wind with the subdial for seconds at 10 o'clock, looked to be more attractive in terms of the watch's proportions. But that's just my personal taste, you might love the auto at 43mm. Either would be a great addition to any collection.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Automatic Altiplano is beautiful watch.  Although, to be honest I preferred the manual wind when I tried them on a few months ago.  They are famous for their ultra thin movements (often breaking records for the thinnest movements).  Also some of their watches have beautiful platinum rotors...ask if they have any with platinum rotors that you can see in person.  Anyway, my preference for the manual wind is actually based on the ratio of the diameter of the watch to the watch's thickness.  At 43mm the ultra thin automatic looked a bit too much like a thin pancake on a strap.  While at 40mm the manual wind with the subdial for seconds at 10 o'clock, looked to be more attractive in terms of the watch's proportions.  But that's just my personal taste, you might love the auto at 43mm.  Either would be a great addition to any collection.   

My initial preference is for the manual because I don't want a subsidiary seconds dial on a dress watch. I also think 43mm is likely too big. My ideal version would be a manual, no seconds hand, 38-40mm and with a two-level dial like the automatic (but no third level, obviously, since no seconds dial). But I am open to seeing how the different sizes look on me and automatic won't be a deal killer.

Also, I don't need a watch.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a watch snob blog somewhere that says Piaget is not top drawer-- don't know if this is a universal opinion. For some reason, their name doesn't come up a lot when discussing expensive stuff.

I do sort of like the Altiplano, though, and suspect that it would be pretty effective at 38mm. 40mm seems to be just a little too much to me for a dress watch-- a "look at my bling" gesture. And 43mm I don't get at all. If VC were to do their Patrimony Contemporaine at somewhere from 36-38mm, that might prompt a stupid purchase on my part.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My initial preference is for the manual because I don't want a subsidiary seconds dial on a dress watch. I also think 43mm is likely too big. My ideal version would be a manual, no seconds hand, 38-40mm and with a two-level dial like the automatic (but no third level, obviously, since no seconds dial). But I am open to seeing how the different sizes look on me and automatic won't be a deal killer.
Also, I don't need a watch.

im with you on this. for this watch i would say to go without a subdial, its simplicity is its beauty. also, manual feels right for this watch. and slimmer, correct? as well, after meeting you, your build and wrist size would be far better suited for a 38-40mm, particularly for a dress watch.

and lastly, need has nothing to do with it. if you like, and can afford, do it. do it for me, buddy. :)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's a watch snob blog somewhere that says Piaget is not top drawer-- don't know if this is a universal opinion. For some reason, their name doesn't come up a lot when discussing expensive stuff.

please to supply link?
I do sort of like the Altiplano, though, and suspect that it would be pretty effective at 38mm. 40mm seems to be just a little too much to me for a dress watch-- a "look at my bling" gesture. And 43mm I don't get at all. If VC were to do their Patrimony Contemporaine at somewhere from 36-38mm, that might prompt a stupid purchase on my part.
:) You are more of a cranky old man than I am! Maybe we can learn something from the kids.

I might be with you on 43mm, but I am willing to have look. Besides, my eyes are starting to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads