• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ the 3rd being, Tompion, according to a quick google result that brought up an article with the CEO ^^

i recall reading a few article about them/some of their watches in watch time magazine. i bet you could search their archive and find it. dont know much else about them though. sorry.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in relation to the conglomerates cutting out the dealers, i noticed the other day, that in the USA, you can buy directly from JLC, and cartier, online. im sure there are others as well, those are the 2 i have noticed.

of course you have to pay full retail, but i found it quite interesting that it was even an option. it is quite the deviation from earlier times, when there was a staunch stance that buying online was unsafe, and they all directed people to the dealers.

times they are a changin'

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am glad you pointed that out to me Stitchy. In particular, I like the look of:

http://www.cartier.us/collections/t...nk/w5200027-tank-solo-watch-extra-large-model

I may ask for that as my graduation present, hmmmm. Quite an intriguing watch, to be honest. Although I would prefer the LC one day, I think that at that price range, there are many other fish that I would prefer. At least with the Tank, I think what draws me in the most is the styling. Not to say that Cartier movements in their own rights are not impressive (at least in the higher collections), but I think for ~$15k I would choose other options.

Plus, an option in Steel is very attractive, and it is still relatively slim! Only 7mm or so.

http://cartier.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-886/pi-5523383/ti-818798/

I really think that they skimped on the 'right' areas.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my pleasure.

its a beaut. funny you picked that one. i just got a request from someone, over the weekend, to try and get that very watch for him. working on it as we speak.

;)

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in relation to the conglomerates cutting out the dealers, i noticed the other day, that in the USA, you can buy directly from JLC, and cartier, online. im sure there are others as well, those are the 2 i have noticed.
of course you have to pay full retail, but i found it quite interesting that it was even an option. it is quite the deviation from earlier times, when there was a staunch stance that buying online was unsafe, and they all directed people to the dealers.
times they are a changin'
Not sure when JLC started doing that, however Cartier has been doing on line sales for I believe at least 2 years. However, I see absolutely no advantage unless you live in a very remote area without any access to an AD or Boutique. If you buy from the right AD you can often get a discount. If you are going to pay full retail, why not get the boutique experience, bottle of champagne, chocolates, etc and it will often get you on their guest list for special watch events. I've purchased a few items at my local boutique and have been invited to some really fantastic watch events and parties. I'm sure if I bought the items at home, well that's where the boutique would think I should stay on the evenings that they have their special events.
I am glad you pointed that out to me Stitchy. In particular, I like the look of:
http://www.cartier.us/collections/t...nk/w5200027-tank-solo-watch-extra-large-model
I may ask for that as my graduation present, hmmmm. Quite an intriguing watch, to be honest. Although I would prefer the LC one day, I think that at that price range, there are many other fish that I would prefer. At least with the Tank, I think what draws me in the most is the styling. Not to say that Cartier movements in their own rights are not impressive (at least in the higher collections), but I think for ~$15k I would choose other options.
Plus, an option in Steel is very attractive, and it is still relatively slim! Only 7mm or so.
The Tank Solo is a nice watch and relatively new...all Solos were previously quartz. The Tank is a style is classic and will always be in good taste. The difference in price is based on the Solo using a good workhorse, but plain ETA movement, while the LC Tank XL uses a rarer and more finely finished Piaget 430 ultra thin movement as its base. Its quite a feat to make a movement as thin as what is in the LC Tank XL. I believe the Tank Solo is about 7.65 in thickness while the LC Tank XL's case is around 5mm in thickness. A nearly 50% difference is substantial at that level, and can easily be seen when side by side. However, it really depends on how you will wear the watch. If you are looking for a daily wearer the Solo is a great choice. I've tried on the new Tank XL ultrathin and to me, it just doesn't seem rugged enough for every day. If it was mostly going to be worn for evenings out, and dressy occasions it would be perfect. However, I'm just not sure an ultra thin watch, be it from Cartier or any other company, is really tough enough to withstand day to day wear and tear. Good luck and I hope you get a graduation present that looks great on your wrist and puts a smile on your face.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Tank Solo is a nice watch and relatively new...all Solos were previously quartz.  The Tank is a style is classic and will always be in good taste.  The difference in price is based on the Solo using a good workhorse, but plain ETA movement, while the LC Tank XL uses a rarer and more finely finished Piaget 430 ultra thin movement as its base.  Its quite a feat to make a movement as thin as what is in the LC Tank XL.   I believe the Tank Solo is about 7.65 in thickness while the LC Tank XL's case is around 5mm in thickness.  A nearly 50% difference is substantial at that level, and can easily be seen when side by side.  However, it really depends on how you will wear the watch.   If you are looking for a daily wearer the Solo is a great choice.  I've tried on the new Tank XL ultrathin and to me, it just doesn't seem rugged enough for every day.  If it was mostly going to be worn for evenings out, and dressy occasions it would be perfect.  However, I'm just not sure an ultra thin watch, be it from Cartier or any other company, is really tough enough to withstand day to day wear and tear.   Good luck and I hope you get a graduation present that looks great on your wrist and puts a smile on your face.

Thanks Dino. The new Tank Solo XL in steel is $3,400, while the Tank LC XL will set you back about $14,000. Of course, comparing SS to Gold is kind of silly, but if you are after the look rather than the metal, or the movement, I think it is a fair comparison. For $3,500 I can't really think of a watch that I would prefer more, to be honest.

Also kind of irrational, I really don't care for the fact that the Tank LC XL uses a round movement. If it used a square movement, I think I would be more interested in it horologically speaking. But personally, that is something that just really bothers me. That is not a knock on the Piaget movement in general, but just a general preference :). And the size difference is definitely substantial. Already having something of an ultra-thin watch (if the Master Control counts as an ultra-thin), I think I wouldn't mind a dress watch that could stand up to a little more abuse. On a different tangent, I sometimes wonder whether ultra-thin movements really do have problems withstanding daily wear, or whether it is just a preconceived notion we have of such watches. For example, I have never heard anything but good things about the JLC MUT, but if I had one, I would be terrified of snapping it in half or something.

And I would feel terrible asking my 'rents to pay anything more than about $3,000, so this is what piqued my interest. I think they initially wanted something from Omega, but I really don't think they know about how much those have increased in price. Even then, I feel fairly guilty about the whole ordeal. They made a poor bet at the beginning of law school :). Sometimes it is unwise to bet against your children I guess!

And Stitchy, that is really interesting. Maybe I will contact you about procuring one for me at some point :). Considering what you get, I really think it is a fairly excellent deal. I think it might be wise to try it on though, it seems as though it may make something of a 'statement.'

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, I was just looking at that watch. I always wanted a Cartier Tank. I really like the Tank Solo, but the quartz version was just too small. I think you can't go wrong with that version. The price isn't too bad, the size is great, and it's an automatic + date.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, I was just looking at that watch. I always wanted a Cartier Tank. I really like the Tank Solo, but the quartz version was just too small. I think you can't go wrong with that version. The price isn't too bad, the size is great, and it's an automatic + date.

Did you check it out at Adler's?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure when JLC started doing that, however Cartier has been doing on line sales for I believe at least 2 years.  However, I see absolutely no advantage unless you live in a very remote area without any access to an AD or Boutique.  If you buy from the right AD you can often get a discount.  If you are going to pay full retail, why not get the boutique experience, bottle of champagne, chocolates, etc and it will often get you on their guest list for special watch events.  I've purchased a few items at my local boutique and have been invited to some really fantastic watch events and parties.  I'm sure if I bought the items at home, well that's where the boutique would think I should stay on the evenings that they have their special events.

i think the advantage is as follows. as someone who does a fair bit of jewelry business (buying and selling) through the mail, and online, and for some very high price point items, i have leaned that some people just prefer the low touch. they are busy, or just dont like shopping, even though they like nice things. this gives them the opportunity to go right to the source, completely removing the classic online obstacle of are you getting a fake, and with a few clicks, you have the watch you want at you door the next day. in a sense, its great. i certainly relate to it.

when im interested in a watch, i do most of my investigation online anyway. if i had the funds, i cant think of anything more convenient that buying that way, once my mind was made up.

as to events, since they have your shipping, billing and email addresses, im sure you would get invites to their swanky parties, as a customer of the brand. :)

And Stitchy, that is really interesting. Maybe I will contact you about procuring one for me at some point :). Considering what you get, I really think it is a fairly excellent deal. I think it might be wise to try it on though, it seems as though it may make something of a 'statement.'

id be glad to be of any service possible. :)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the online-shopping process as well. For some reason, shopping in-store feels a bit kitschy to me. Some stores are of course better than others, but I hate getting the salesperson spiel. Also, buying things online always feels less 'real,' and I love the lead-up anticipation. I love inputting my card details, anxiously checking the tracking updates, and ripping open the box when it arrives. Maybe I am just a weirdo.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, not weird at all. shopping, particularly high end, is a very emotional, and sensory experience. different people enjoy it different ways. some people love window shopping for example, personally, it just depresses me that i cant be buying what i want.

i can relate to the excitement you refer to, though all things considered, i do really enjoy the whole being waited on hand and foot ordeal from time to time, and sometimes i buy things that way, to experience that as well.

to each their own. :cheers:

Jhors2

Reaction score
lol, not weird at all. shopping, particularly high end, is a very emotional, and sensory experience. different people enjoy it different ways. some people love window shopping for example, personally, it just depresses me that i cant be buying what i want.
i can relate to the excitement you refer to, though all things considered, i do really enjoy the whole being waited on hand and foot ordeal from time to time, and sometimes i buy things that way, to experience that as well.
to each their own.
cheers.gif
It is incredibly difficult for me to buy a suit or sports coat without trying it on first, I aways hate shipping things back especially if its a fabric that I really like. I can definitely relate stitch.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it has always made me feel uncomfortable. Also, being a younger guy, I always feel like I am treated as a kid (which happens about 99% of the time), or I feel like I am being judged. But I digress. Because of this, I tend to only shop at a couple places.

Also, on a completely tangential note, I have recently become incredibly bothered by movements that do not fit the case of a watch. Of course, it matters less on a 3-hander, but I just finished this review...

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/girard-perregaux-1966-chronograph-42mm-watch-review/

And I have to say that I don't think that I would purchase the 42mm version of this watch. It makes me feel like the tachymetre is added on simply because otherwise the proportionality of the subdials would be askew. This hobby sure can be nuanced :satisfied:

***Note: this is mainly a watch-related preference. I would never buy clothing sight unseen (when I do not know fit / fabric / etc. ***

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. i know exactly what you mean, i have noticed a significant difference in how seriously i am treated in higher end stores as i have gotten a little older.

2. agreed. i feel much better when the movement size fits the watch size.

3. well, you know what the watch looks like. i buy clothing online if i am satisfied with pics and measurements, and i am confident enough it will be right.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very little information about this watch, other than I know it is genuine, serial numbers were confirmed by main patek office when I sent it in to be repaired through a Madrid retailer, they said this was the only one to have been made in this exact style other similar styles were made. This was my grandfather's watch (who is now dead) on my dad's side (who is now dead) so I was wondering if any of you could tell me a bit about these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads