• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 39mm.

My dad, so obviously a beginner, was a lifelong fan of Rolex. To him, as to so many others, Rolex was the pre-eminent watch brand. He liked things that did what they were supposed to do, day in and day out, without fuss and without requiring a lot of attention. To him, a Rolex would tell time accurately, and virtually for ever. It was another tool and he loved tools. I've never met anyone who took better care of his tools than my dad. I think he just respected the idea behind a Rolex, certainly behind a watch like an Explorer or a Submariner.

So he was aghast when, about a year or more ago, his Rolex was no longer the accurate timekeeper he expected it to be. I believe he felt let down by it. He assumed there was something wrong with it. My sisters took it to a Rolex AD in the UK and were told that the watch was fine. A bit grungy, but in sound mechanical condition. I figured out the problem, eventually. Sadly, at that time he was quite ill and really didn't move all that much and certainly wasn't walking. So the watch wasn't moving, either, and eventually wound down and stopped. But if he did move enough to get some energy into the mainspring, the watch would start up again, only now it would be telling the wrong time. But he would see the second hand moving and not realize at all what had happened. Even when I explained it to him, he really didn't grasp it.

Happily, he recovered from that nadir and regained quite a bit of mobility and so did his Rolex. He wore it, as I've said, continuously, right up until maybe an hour before he died.

I think the understated, rock-solid reliability of a Rolex, and the importance of that sense of suitability for the task, is rather underestimated by those who disparage the brand. Yes, there are finer examples of haute horologie in the watch firmament, but that's not what a Rolex is or what it represents to those who regard Rolex so highly. A Rolex is like the guy who never calls the game on account of rain. Who shows up when you need help and will do whatever you need. Someone who will stand by you when you need someone to stand by you. Someone who says, "I got this". Someone like your dad, I hope. Someone like my dad. Those guys like Rolex.
Another cool story (bro!)
Since you’ve inherited his admiration for Rolex I hope you get to inherit that particular one and don’t get involved in family squabbles.
My Dad bought my Mam a Rolex for a wedding present. He bought her other watches over the years but she wore that one almost every day. My sister inherited it and now wears it 65 years later. I inherited myDad’s Longines Weems and wafer thin Pulsar (both featured on this thread in the past) and I live in the hope that when my bairn grows up she’ll also have an appreciation for such things and keep them for the next generation!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this quote from Benjamin Clymer about Rolex and how it is perceived at different points in one's "watch journey":

[I tend to believe there is something of an inverted bell curve with any real watch guy or gal's understanding of, and appreciation for Rolex. When you know nothing about watches – like you don't know that there is anything else out there – you believe Rolex to be the best watch company in the world. I can't tell you how many friends are shocked to learn that there are, in fact, watches from other companies that cost even more than a Rolex! Then, when you begin to go a bit deeper, you learn about Omega, and Jaeger, and IWC, and later, Patek, Lange, Vacheron, etc. It's at this point that people tend to start looking down on Rolex, and extol the benefits of hand-finishing, and rarity, and limited editions.

Then, after they've been burned a few times by exorbitantly expensive, time consuming, or far-too-often-needed service (or a resale return of pennies on the dollar) people tend to say "Hmm, maybe a Rolex ain't so bad." And they're right – Rolex watches are among the most reliable, no-fuss mechanical watches in the world. Oh, and many forget that indeed, Rolex is Rolex for a reason, and it was at the forefront of several world firsts in watchmaking. Yeah, it's a behemoth, and everywhere, and certainly not what I'd call haute horlogerie, but you can't fault Rolex for succeeding in making a high-end, high-quality product that sells well, can you? We should all be so lucky.]

I think Rolex, as a consequence of their status in the market, suffers from a lot of projections people place on them about how they perceive the brand or the people that wear them, but at the end of the day they are simply good watches.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We get a lot of tourists from the PRC and Riva's neck of the woods. From discussions with the ADs you're about 20 watches off what they offer before getting turned down...
Erm, they are still patronising you.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out and about today, just to familiarising myself with current offerings, in order to provide points of research for my next two purchases (looking for a new daily beater and a new dress watch). This was the surprising star of all I saw, though not a fit for what I am looking for, it does intrigue. And very reasonably priced, given it’s lineage.
It’s the only piece that I was tempted by... and I saw a lot of timepieces!

A less than funny side note: the 2 PP ADs I popped into had a total of 9 watches. And no new allocations until the end of December/Early January.

321C8B9B-07F1-47CF-A602-B86ED14F378C.jpeg

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We get a lot of tourists from the PRC and Riva's neck of the woods. From discussions with the ADs you're about 20 watches off what they offer before getting turned down...
I’m sure you’re right. As I mentioned, it was a small-timer move but I did it with a smile to reflect that I knew it wouldn’t move the needle. One salesperson took a genuine (I think) interest in my Luminox. Who’d a thunk?!

Bartolo

Reaction score
I was out and about today, just to familiarising myself with current offerings, in order to provide points of research for my next two purchases (looking for a new daily beater and a new dress watch). This was the surprising star of all I saw, though not a fit for what I am looking for, it does intrigue. And very reasonably priced, given it’s lineage.
It’s the only piece that I was tempted by... and I saw a lot of timepieces!

A less than funny side note: the 2 PP ADs I popped into had a total of 9 watches. And no new allocations until the end of December/Early January.

View attachment 1262336
I've always had my eye on the UN Freak. Not to burst the bubble, but there is a reason that some now are so reasonably priced -- there is a lower-priced line of Freaks that has a very different movement.

Bartolo

Reaction score
I’m sure you’re right. As I mentioned, it was a small-timer move but I did it with a smile to reflect that I knew it wouldn’t move the needle. One salesperson took a genuine (I think) interest in my Luminox. Who’d a thunk?!
Sales people always fawn over whatever you're wearing. It's an easy move.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That, or if it's really old school, mock and deride you and look at you like you just stepped into a turd.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup. I was wearing my JLC geographic into a store, and the person was fawning all over it and waxing poetic with really inaccurate info about how he has always been a fan of the watch.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd rather get this than the nonsense 'pick something and compliment it hospitality'
No way. I mean, the fakeness is not my favorite, but at least you don't feel like you are being assaulted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads