• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real life looks cheaper than press.

In that instance, yes. In other instances where it's a better photo and that plastic isn't covering the dial, possibly not. Either way you could say that about a lot of watches.

Hodinkee doesn't really co-brand. You don't see their names on the dials (unlike the others), and only really engraved on the caseback.

I would still call that "co-branding" myself, but I agree with you.

Saw some interesting rare goodies in the pawn shop yesterday.

View attachment 1122561

Not sure how "rare" those are. I think Crown and Caliber currently has all three if memory serves me correctly, though C&C having them doesn't mean they're not rare.

It's never about the diameter but the lug to lug. Nomoses for instance are unwearable due to the stabbing long lugs. 39 vs 37. Wears the same.

It's absolutely about the diameter in some instances, just as it's also about the lugs and the lug to lug. Not sure I'd say Nomos' are unwearable, but their lugs do run long.

Ran out of time :eek:

Poor excuse. I'm sure you could have cut back on less important things like sleeping or eating.

My patient no-showed and, in effect, paid me to take a break and do a strap change :) Finally got to snap a quick pic of my 1957 Trilogy Speedy after removing a recently acquired suede strap (probably JPM) from Hodinkee. BLNR gets the rest of the afternoon off.

Curious, did you not like the strap on the Speedy? I ask because I bought a similarly colored strap, albeit a leather one, from Hodinkee and initially I felt it too... monochromatic with the faux aged lume. It's since grown on me and I think as soon as the weather starts looking more Spring and my wardrobe follows suit I'll be happy with my choice.

JLC Deep Sea or Omega Speedmaster 60th Anniversary?

As an owner of that Speedmaster I'd say JLC were I to choose. I used to long after a JLC Deep Sea (though I prefer the European dial) and still do. Still the real answer would be both.

Interesting take as both watches are near perfect homages to their respective models from the late 1950s.

"Interesting" indeed.

MONTBLANC is punching way above its weight this year. The watches they put on the market are mostly gorgeous. Juts watched SIHH report on Montblanc new timepieces, wow.

While I agree that Montblanc is doing good work of late (they brought that chap over from Tudor), they still could do better with some of the case sizes relative to the dials.

@DMcG Really like that Jaeger. If you had too purchase one today, would you have went this one or with a Polaris instead? Just curious.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. Definitely the Deep Sea. I like the Polaris though.

Thanks. I still prefer the Deep Sea. I’m generally not a big fan of Tachymeters like the Polaris Chrono has. I also prefer the hands on mine. I do like the blue dials and display backs on the various Polaris models. And I’m using the rubber strap from a Polaris. I wasn’t that impressed with the strap mine came with.

Would love to see a picture of that Deep Sea with the Polaris strap.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Very interesting question - Polaris vs Deep Sea. Of course, a lot of JLC fans are still mourning the loss of the Compressors and Deep Seas to the recent Polaris range, into which all JLC's sports DNA is now integrated. But, putting the emotive reaction aside, the Polaris on its own merits is worth a look as a collection.

It has two very distinct personalities: at one end, is the Polaris Memovox - currently a limited edition of 1000 worldwide (there are still one or two out there, simply because delivery took time and has trickled out, but they will be hard to find now). The Memovox is the iconic 1968 double-cased dive alarm on which the design of all the others is based. There's also the boutique-only Polaris Date, which is the only other one that has "aged" lume and a solid caseback. It's also the only other Polaris available on a (really nice) rubber strap.

Then there's everything else, from the time-only, that still has the internal rotating bezel from the Memovox, then the Chronograph, and up to the 44mm World Timer Chrono - JLC's only current titanium model. There's also a very limited 250-piece 42mm steel World Timer.

The firm division between the Memovox/Date and the others, is that the some are dive watches and some really aren't, and this is where we get to the big difference with the Deep Sea: the Polaris Chrono is 10ATM water resistant, has a really flat sapphire caseback, modest lugs and a rather elegant design. Curved pusher buttons follow the line of the case. The thickness is deceptive, as the flat caseback sits low and snug on the wrist. The dial proportions and restrained, two-register chrono with no running time second hand, keep it from being too busy (unlike the World Timer...). Although the chrono is 42mm in diameter, it wears so differently from the Memovox with it's deep, resonating double caseback, or even the Deep Sea, though both have the same diameter.

In a way, the Polaris chrono is the least "authentic" of the main Polaris models in that it has few of the elements of the original diver. But as a watch in its own right, it's probably my favourite, just because of its wearability and proportions. Black on a bracelet, or blue popping off the brown leather would be my choices.

To be totally honest, I'd take the Deep Sea as well probably, just because I've always liked it. But there would be room for both in an unlimited collection, simply because one is made as a diving/tool watch with a chrono, and the other is an elegant chrono for every day that one could possibly take in the pool.
1640786.png.crop.1000.high.grey.jpeg

1640782.png.crop.1000.high.grey.jpeg

9028480.html

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generic looking boring watches for people who aspire to belong to a higher social strata.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generic looking boring watches for people who aspire to belong to a higher social strata.

Just like the new AP CODE lineup. Looks like Tissot or Guess Collection. Appeals to those looking for the "expensive" logo or "history", zero on style. Would be permissable if this isn't the Styleforum. Then again seeing how people dig boring Datejusts perhaps expensive = style, luxury, and class afterall.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like the new AP CODE lineup. Looks like Tissot or Guess Collection. Appeals to those looking for the "expensive" logo or "history", zero on style. Would be permissable if this isn't the Styleforum. Then again seeing how people dig boring Datejusts perhaps expensive = style, luxury, and class afterall.

I'm not sure that I love the CODE watches either, but do you really need to be so aggressively negative in voicing your opinions? Maybe you are extremely knowledgeable about something - I can't tell that from your posts about anything, but some people are more articulate than others - but your tone detracts from any impact you might otherwise have.

One thing that I don't really get is that you invoke the name of this forum "Styleforum" as a reason that certain opinions are not permissable here. As not just one of the owners, but also as the founder and namer of most of the various forums, I can tell you for a fact that it was never my intent to constrain people in any way.

One little thing that amuses me is that for the past 6 years or so, people on this forum, and even on the internet in general, use the term "classic menswear". And on this forum, a lot of people still argue about whether something belongs in "classic menswear" or not. The term is not widely used until about 2013. This might be coincidental, but in 2012, I renamed this forum "classic menswear" when we re-designed and reorganized the various forums. Previous to that, this forum was simply "mens clothing", a historical artifact, since "Streetwear and Denim" split off in about 2004-2005, based on a thread that I had started that gained traction about then (it was a top 10 list of jeans that I put up purely for discussion's sake - but people really gravitated to the topic and the thread became gigantic and a hold all for all the discussions about non-tailored clothing at the time). "Classic menswear" was chosen in 2012 because we were in the throes of #menswear, and I wanted to have a forum title that encompassed both that term and then not only tailored clothing, but also the style of casualwear that appealed to the person who might also be into classic tailoring. I went through a variety of possibilities - "classic tailored clothing", for example, was discarded because it excluded discussions about footwear, watches, etc... Maybe this is an overstatement of the influence of this forum, but the forum has been instrumental in opening up the US and international market to a variety of brands - some of them now very well known, and it is the main hub of discussion about a variety of national and internationally important brands. And this and other forums have been instrumental in introducing and establishing other pieces of language in the menswear lexicon, from "goth ninja", to "hypebeast" (started by another Chinese Canadian!), so it's not unprecedented.

So, all that to say that if anything, if we were to limit the discussion on this thread to the name of the forum, we'd only be discussion classic designs, however that might be designed, and that things like de Bethune would have a separate discussion forum over in "Streetwear and Denim", and would also include discussions of cool G-shock releases. It's not unheard of. There are discussion in that section that range from Uniqlo basics to bespoke shoes made from a single piece of leather that is shapped purely by folding, and then lasted - with minimal stitiching.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I love the CODE watches either, but do you really need to be so aggressively negative in voicing your opinions? Maybe you are extremely knowledgeable about something - I can't tell that from your posts about anything, but some people are more articulate than others - but your tone detracts from any impact you might otherwise have.

One thing that I don't really get is that you invoke the name of this forum "Styleforum" as a reason that certain opinions are not permissable here. As not just one of the owners, but also as the founder and namer of most of the various forums, I can tell you for a fact that it was never my intent to constrain people in any way.

One little thing that amuses me is that for the past 6 years or so, people on this forum, and even on the internet in general, use the term "classic menswear". And on this forum, a lot of people still argue about whether something belongs in "classic menswear" or not. The term is not widely used until about 2013. This might be coincidental, but in 2012, I renamed this forum "classic menswear" when we re-designed and reorganized the various forums. Previous to that, this forum was simply "mens clothing", a historical artifact, since "Streetwear and Denim" split off in about 2004-2005, based on a thread that I had started that gained traction about then (it was a top 10 list of jeans that I put up purely for discussion's sake - but people really gravitated to the topic and the thread became gigantic and a hold all for all the discussions about non-tailored clothing at the time). "Classic menswear" was chosen in 2012 because we were in the throes of #menswear, and I wanted to have a forum title that encompassed both that term and then not only tailored clothing, but also the style of casualwear that appealed to the person who might also be into classic tailoring. I went through a variety of possibilities - "classic tailored clothing", for example, was discarded because it excluded discussions about footwear, watches, etc... Maybe this is an overstatement of the influence of this forum, but the forum has been instrumental in opening up the US and international market to a variety of brands - some of them now very well known, and it is the main hub of discussion about a variety of national and internationally important brands. And this and other forums have been instrumental in introducing and establishing other pieces of language in the menswear lexicon, from "goth ninja", to "hypebeast" (started by another Chinese Canadian!), so it's not unprecedented.

So, all that to say that if anything, if we were to limit the discussion on this thread to the name of the forum, we'd only be discussion classic designs, however that might be designed, and that things like de Bethune would have a separate discussion forum over in "Streetwear and Denim", and would also include discussions of cool G-shock releases. It's not unheard of. There are discussion in that section that range from Uniqlo basics to bespoke shoes made from a single piece of leather that is shapped purely by folding, and then lasted - with minimal stitiching.

Seriously Fok? I'm very civil compared to the non-thread related very personal slanders and bullying that you guys let loose in the other threads. I'm merely mirroring your opinion that to some people style is all that matters and all the technical elements polishing etc are merely bonuses. What's wrong with this particular thread? Sheesh...

lexmann

Reaction score
Damned. I just bought a second hand Datejust...

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously Fok? I'm very civil compared to the non-thread related very personal slanders and bullying that you guys let loose in the other threads. I'm merely mirroring your opinion that to some people style is all that matters and all the technical elements polishing etc are merely bonuses. What's wrong with this particular thread? Sheesh...

C'mon man, people have been asking you to keep it positive and respectful in here for a very long time.

You have an opinion, and it's fine to voice it. Ragging on other people's multi-thousand dollar purchases, and tastes that differ from yours is also fine if you do it in a respectful and as an opinion not as fact (which it is). There's nothing wrong with rolex or any of the other brands you consider to be boring bullshit. It's just not your cup of tea, we get it.

It's just that when you're not really being respectful, you don't foster thoughtful conversation. That's all we're here for man, just a bit of internet fun and advice. No one's wants to be talked down to or made to feel like an asshole cuz they don't like what you like.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C'mon man, people have been asking you to keep it positive and respectful in here for a very long time.

You have an opinion, and it's fine to voice it. Ragging on other people's multi-thousand dollar purchases, and tastes that differ from yours is also fine if you do it in a respectful and as an opinion not as fact (which it is). There's nothing wrong with rolex or any of the other brands you consider to be boring bullshit. It's just not your cup of tea, we get it.

It's just that when you're not really being respectful, you don't foster thoughtful conversation. That's all we're here for man, just a bit of internet fun and advice. No one's wants to be talked down to or made to feel like an asshole cuz they don't like what you like.

Sorry man, ragging on other people's style and purchases in very disrespectful ways has been the norm in most of the threads in this forum and the mods and admins didn't do ****. Well perhaps once when Fok told that kpop meme guy " **** you." And yea they kept repeating the same things for years. And you're one of them so don't play the innocent little girl. This is off topic so PM me if you got a personal issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads