• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow watch collecting friend about Jeeps and kitchen remodels and beer and the conversation slowly migrated back to watches and what we were always on the hunt for. He was telling my about the birth year Rolex Explorer he was lusting after and I mentioned my current obsession - the blue faced Seiko MM300 SLA013. He immediately pulled up photos that a friend had sent him just earlier in the day of the nearly identical SLA015 that he was trying to offload.

He was asking way too much and I said I’d need to pass this time around. About a week later, he texted me to let me know his friend dropped his asking price. It was still a bit more than I wanted to pay but I started to consider it. I must have been taking too long or he thought I was playing hard to get because the seller contacted me directly and dropped the price yet again. I jumped, and now this grail is on my wrist!

1493D74E-9AF7-4209-8322-D1DC0A732ABC.jpeg

1293F5E8-14F4-4892-A58A-B60FC1D2F7B5.jpeg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow watch collecting friend about Jeeps and kitchen remodels and beer and the conversation slowly migrated back to watches and what we were always on the hunt for. He was telling my about the birth year Rolex Explorer he was lusting after and I mentioned my current obsession - the blue faced Seiko MM300 SLA013. He immediately pulled up photos that a friend had sent him just earlier in the day of the nearly identical SLA015 that he was trying to offload.

He was asking way too much and I said I’d need to pass this time around. About a week later, he texted me to let me know his friend dropped his asking price. It was still a bit more than I wanted to pay but I started to consider it. I must have been taking too long or he thought I was playing hard to get because the seller contacted me directly and dropped the price yet again. I jumped, and now this grail is on my wrist!

View attachment 1129555

View attachment 1129554

I rarely see this one on the wrist. Usually people just get to collect.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Riva - I'm not a manga fan but that's a pretty cool one. I've been sort of smitten with the Seiko Brightz Star Wars watches lately. They are totally stupid and gimmicky but they are pretty interesting.

alantrickman

Reaction score
Hey all, anyone have any information on this watch? I know Omega might not be right for this thread, but I was hoping someone might be able to help here, but I have posted in the Poor Man's watch thread as well. All I know is that it's an Omega Seamaster, automatic with date. My grandfather just gave it to me, and I honestly don't know very much about watches at all. He said that he received it as a gift in around 1973. He used it almost everyday since then, until about 10 years ago when he said it stopped working properly. I was trying to figure out how to best restore something like this, and if anyone knew any exact reference or style numbers that could be helpful. Ideally I'd like to keep and wear it, but I don't even have the slightest clue on what kind of repair it would even need.

image1 (8).jpeg

Browsing the Omega site, I tried to find the watch, and came across two models which look quite similar...but the band looks a little different, I dunno.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-calendar-ck-14701

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-st-166-0172

If anyone has any information that'd be great. Thanks in advance!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not going to find much on the Omega website since that's for current models. You should create an account at Omegaforums.net and ask there about the watch.

I'm sure if you took it to a boutique, they can send it off to Switzerland and have it restored but it won't be cheap.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, anyone have any information on this watch? I know Omega might not be right for this thread, but I was hoping someone might be able to help here, but I have posted in the Poor Man's watch thread as well. All I know is that it's an Omega Seamaster, automatic with date. My grandfather just gave it to me, and I honestly don't know very much about watches at all. He said that he received it as a gift in around 1973. He used it almost everyday since then, until about 10 years ago when he said it stopped working properly. I was trying to figure out how to best restore something like this, and if anyone knew any exact reference or style numbers that could be helpful. Ideally I'd like to keep and wear it, but I don't even have the slightest clue on what kind of repair it would even need.

View attachment 1129715

Browsing the Omega site, I tried to find the watch, and came across two models which look quite similar...but the band looks a little different, I dunno.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-calendar-ck-14701

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-st-166-0172

If anyone has any information that'd be great. Thanks in advance!

Restoring a piece like that is generally frowned upon and I think it would be considered less valuable if you did. That said it's a personal decision. Leaving it as is might be the best way to remind you of your grandfather and all the years he got out of the watch. If you really want to "spruce it up" you could take if off the bracelet and add a nice strap.

I'm pretty sure you could get an extract from the archives from Omega. I don't know if there's anything you'd really get from that since you know it's a Seamaster and it's from the 70s.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tank Basculante is an interesting watch. I believe the small size uses a quartz, but there is a large size manual wind model with a F. Piguet movement. I've usually seen the steel models, but they were available in yellow gold too.

It is the only CPCP watch (if I'm not mistaken) to have a Stainless Steel alternative made. The steel variant is, technically, not CPCP but has the same movement and a hand guilloche dial with a slight pattern variation (no flower).

It is a lovely little thing, but a b*tch to get serviced. Took nearly 12 months in total to have Richemont do a proper service.
1520629696609_1520629737847.jpg

Also, as a fun aside, I picked this up recently. I did some digging, with the help of the Breitling Heritage dept, to find out more about it and it seems when Ernest Schneider bought the company in the late 80s they found a bunch of NOS mid century movements which he had cased in Rose Gold and sold as limited editions. This dial/case configuration has a Venus 175 movement and was made in 75 pieces (other dials in the same case had another 75 piece run). Pretty neat!
Breitling.jpg

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know I already shared, but I’m really liking this watch after wearing it everyday for a week. I know most reviews complain about the thickness, but I don’t have any complaints...my wrist is average (7 3/8) size. I rarely notice I’m wearing it. I’m sure I’d love the thinner/smaller BB58, but I really don’t like the bezel change...the current pricing and availability didn’t help either.

DB10DDF8-ADDE-4120-8E18-42CC39C1D30C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads