• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are BLNR’s really going for that much? Maybe time to sell mine. It’s in 10/10 condition.
Rumor mill is churning that the BLNR is being discontinued but nothing has been confirmed. Rumor also is the AP RO 15400 which multiple people over at the rolexforums are saying they've been told by AP boutiques.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh. I love mine but I don’t actually wear it. It’s more like Cameron’s ferrari in Ferris Bueller’s except without the fancy garage.

I blame Fitbit for no longer making a pocket tracker which means I have to choose between fitness tracking, wearing a regular watch or being a weirdo with one on each wrist. At this point I almost always just wear my Fitbit and but occasionally go with the weird a watch on the other hand.

If I could easily get say $12k for my BLNR, that’s hard to turn down. Could use that money for another watch I would never wear!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. I love mine but I don’t actually wear it. It’s more like Cameron’s ferrari in Ferris Bueller’s except without the fancy garage.

I blame Fitbit for no longer making a pocket tracker which means I have to choose between fitness tracking, wearing a regular watch or being a weirdo with one on each wrist. At this point I almost always just wear my Fitbit and but occasionally go with the weird a watch on the other hand.

If I could easily get say $12k for my BLNR, that’s hard to turn down. Could use that money for another watch I would never wear!
Or you could just ditch the Fitbit. Before I got older and more complacent, in addition to my daily workouts, I would get up from my desk andbdo a set of 10 pull-ups, 10 pushups, and 20 air squats every hour, on the hour. It's a great practice to build strength and keep your heart rate elevated, and all you need is a normal watch. I don't get this tracking thing. You know when you are being a lazy ass just from the way your body feels.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The truth is many of my friends haven't been using their Rolex and automatic watches especially those who are now into running and cycling. Yes occassionally the fitbit is paired with a traditional watch but it's getting to the point where I think they don't care anymore. This is why I've been selling my watches as in the future I see people owning 1-2 nice watches just for certain occassions not for telling time. Let's admit that a mechanical watch is the only outdated relic in our lives. The millenials don't give a damn about watches other than smart ones anyway and they'd rather use their money travelling.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth is many of my friends haven't been using their Rolex and automatic watches especially those who are now into running and cycling. Yes occassionally the fitbit is paired with a traditional watch but it's getting to the point where I think they don't care anymore. This is why I've been selling my watches as in the future I see people owning 1-2 nice watches just for certain occassions not for telling time. Let's admit that a mechanical watch is the only outdated relic in our lives. The millenials don't give a damn about watches other than smart ones anyway and they'd rather use their money travelling.
There are more than just watches that are outdated relics in our lives. Ties and rings are fairly outdated but people still wear them. To me watches are more jewelry pieces.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying.

Well except the idea that I would do air squats, push ups and pull ups in my open plan office. That would definitely be odd. I think my relationship with my Fitbit is a bit of an obsession. The need to get to 250 steps per hour provides a repetitive dopamine hit. Maybe one day I will get over it and I do acknowledge that outside of tracking exercise it’s largely pointless and even exercise tracking isn’t that big a deal.

On the other hand, I’m not that interested in watches as jewelry either. I like them as objects and I love mechanical things. I have no interest in a smart watch per se and happily spent most of my life without a watch at all.

So yeah, I’m a bit of an outlier in this thread I recognize. Strangely I still do enjoy my watches a lot, I just don’t get around to using them as much as a normal person.

Oh and I don’t wear ties, rings (except the wedding band my wife makes me wear), bracelets, chains or other jewelry either.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. You really should have kept the original version! The point I am making is that what I proposed is not mindblowingly hard. And if that particular routine is not working for you (I can't really do a lot of pullups anymore - wrecked elbows and not awesome shoulders) you can adjust. Do 5 of everything add a 5 kickouts, or something. The only purpose is to work your muscles a bit and keep your heartrate elevate throughout the day.

And... it solves the dual problems of not being able to wear a regular watch (a nicer piece of wristwear than fitbit) and overmonitoring, which I feel contributes to a lot of the anxiety in modern life.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note that Google Fit auto-counts your steps. So just carry your phone everywhere (having given it the required permissions) and you're good to go. Sleep tracking is trickier.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying.

Well except the idea that I would do air squats, push ups and pull ups in my open plan office. That would definitely be odd. I think my relationship with my Fitbit is a bit of an obsession. The need to get to 250 steps per hour provides a repetitive dopamine hit. Maybe one day I will get over it and I do acknowledge that outside of tracking exercise it’s largely pointless and even exercise tracking isn’t that big a deal.

On the other hand, I’m not that interested in watches as jewelry either. I like them as objects and I love mechanical things. I have no interest in a smart watch per se and happily spent most of my life without a watch at all.

So yeah, I’m a bit of an outlier in this thread I recognize. Strangely I still do enjoy my watches a lot, I just don’t get around to using them as much as a normal person.

Oh and I don’t wear ties, rings (except the wedding band my wife makes me wear), bracelets, chains or other jewelry either.

When i wear a watch, I mostly take it off the bracelet or band and put it on a fob, so... there's that. I wear bracelets, but can't stand rings, and actually got a wedding ring tatooed on instead of having a heavy piece of platinum weighing down my ring finger and making my hand ache all of the time.

I would encourage you to do the pushups and air squats in your office and yes, at first, you'll feel weird, but after a bit you'll feel like that guy who just gives zero *****. It's an incredibly liberating feeling, and a whole genre of movies about that liberation (see "Office Space.) Just not enough people actually go through with doing it.

FWIW, I installed a pullup bar in grad school and postdocs and faculty job, In academia, it's hardly the weirdest thing that you could be into.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in one of those functions where giving zero ***** would be disqualifying.

Otherwise I’m with you in spirit.

I’ve gotten used to the PT wedding band and am not the ink type so it is what it is on that front.

The idea of a pocket watch isn’t crazy though. I might have to marinate on that one.

Note that Google Fit auto-counts your steps. So just carry your phone everywhere (having given it the required permissions) and you're good to go. Sleep tracking is trickier.

I’m more interested in the HR monitoring and sleep monitoring than just step counts (which I can get through my iPhone although I don’t always have that on me whereas I always have my Fitbit). Also hopefully very soon my Fitbit will unlock it’s SPO2 sensor which should lead to even more.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am headed to a local Rolex AD this afternoon that is holding a GMT for me. After speaking with multiple ADs and 2nd hand dealers in the region, it has become apparent that picking up a BLNR is virtually impossible without paying a $4,000-$5,000 premium which I cannot justify. Any suggestions before I take the leap?

The all black GMT is still a stunning watch. I just got a BLNR from my AD last month (before all these rumors hit) and I truly love it, but it is not worth the current grey/used pricing.

I don't know what you've been looking at but in the Rolex sports world I have a 114060 Sub as well, that is probably more attainable from an AD and I love it to pieces.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. You really should have kept the original version! The point I am making is that what I proposed is not mindblowingly hard. And if that particular routine is not working for you (I can't really do a lot of pullups anymore - wrecked elbows and not awesome shoulders) you can adjust. Do 5 of everything add a 5 kickouts, or something. The only purpose is to work your muscles a bit and keep your heartrate elevate throughout the day.

And... it solves the dual problems of not being able to wear a regular watch (a nicer piece of wristwear than fitbit) and overmonitoring, which I feel contributes to a lot of the anxiety in modern life.

Haha well met i dont use a fitbit tho just pointing out some folks are seeking motivation (Im all about maintenance rn).

Funny but i love rings and have a harder time with bracelets! So it goes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha well met i dont use a fitbit tho just pointing out some folks are seeking motivation (Im all about maintenance rn).

Funny but i love rings and have a harder time with bracelets! So it goes.
Frankly, I'm against tracking apps more than I am against tracking devices, though the two are undutibly related.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads