• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Any of you all see nice watches in the wild? This morning, while riding the Metrorail, I spotted a Rolex Pepsi GMT on an elderly man's wrist. Interestingly enough, the last nice watch I saw on another person's wrist before today was also a Pepsi GMT.

To follow up Belli here, I really don't see much out and about in my area (Philly and NYC areas) outside of Rolex (excluding tailor visits). I think the most I've noticed while just walking around a city or hanging out in a bar was in Copenhagen. I was just kind of wondering neighborhoods and visiting bars, nothing fancy, but the number was inflated by a group of tourists from Italy all wearing 15300's and one Smurf I believe if I'm remembering correctly. The RO wearers all wanted to talk about my Speedy oddly enough.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any of you all see nice watches in the wild? This morning, while riding the Metrorail, I spotted a Rolex Pepsi GMT on an elderly man's wrist. Interestingly enough, the last nice watch I saw on another person's wrist before today was also a Pepsi GMT.

I see various Rolex subs all over the place, I don't think I've ever seen a Pepsi GMT in the wild though, which seems like a much more interesting watch to me. I also seem to see random Panerai here and there too... like maybe once or twice a month, which to me seems like more often that I would have thought for those.

A co-worker has started wearing a Grand Seiko Snowflake that he bought while traveling in Japan for work last year. I notice that my dentist seems to alternate between an AP Royal Oak and a G-Shock and last week at a conference I noticed the guy sitting across from me was wearing a Tudor Black Bay. One afternoon I was in line for lunch at Qdoba and the guy behind me randomly called out my Doxa after seeing the orange face. He was wearing an older Rolex Sub with the green bezel

roomiller

Reaction score
This is how countless watches that I lusted over online became complete duds for me, and watches that didn't do much for me online (Sub no date, BLNR, Daytona, etc) rose to the top.

It's funny that this even works with non-watch people. When I picked up the no-date sub for my friend, I sent a picture to my fiance back stateside and she said it looked exactly like my Pelagos. I tried to correct her but she wasn't having it. Once I actually got back to New York and showed her the sub, her eyes widened and she instantly understood what was special about the Rolex.

As for seeing nice watches, living in NYC I see them a decent bit. The BLNR never did much for me(cc: bigbadbuff), until I was playing darts at my favorite dive bar(shoutout Kettle of Fish in the WV) and played against a guy wearing one. I had to ask him about it and he let me take a look. I absolutely fell in love.

I've also spotted a pepsi GMT while walking around Barneys; most of the investment banking crowd around my age either wears a fitbit, a sub, or nothing at all. Once I was riding the subway and a beautiful woman sitting next to me was wearing an RO, I'm assuming the jumbo as it was larger than a standard "ladies" watch. Working in tech though, its rare that I even see people wearing any watch.

edit: Oh! I saw some 15 year old kid wearing a pepsi on the beach in Cascais. That made me all sorts of jealous. I asked the fiance if she thought I could take him but she advised against mugging him. She's never up for any fun.

Last edited:

firenze_rob

Reaction score

One of my associates, I wouldn't really call him a WUS, he has a thing for black watches. So every 6 months or so I'll see him with a new black ceramic or PVD number (Hublot Big Bang, Panerais up the ying yang, Bamford PVD treated Daytona, Rado Ceramic). Also, my office is by a French international high school. All these French kids all have AP RO quartz. I've seen at least 5 of them.

Speedy 1957 Replica today. The best part of this watch, IMO, is the vintage Omega logo, followed closely by the broad arrow hands.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oddly enough, I've seen 3 very nice Pepsi GMTs recently. And...

Per capita, nothing I've seen beats central and northern Italian cities for wearing a nice watch. Singapore is also very big into them, especially the crazy high-end stuff.

Australians and North/South Americans don't really seem to give a crap about them in comparison. You see some nice stuff once in a while, especially in higher-density cities, but it's not nearly as often as parts of Europe and Asia.

Flying Paris to Milan was probably the most watch-heavy real-life event, but it could have been a fluke.

...two of them were on a recent trip to Italy. Along with a Speedy (though an American was wearing that one). Also saw a very nice 114060 in Salzburg earlier in the year. And ran into a gold Daytona at a work meeting not too long ago, along with various other Rolexes - and one very nice Patek.

To follow up Belli here, I really don't see much out and about in my area (Philly and NYC areas) outside of Rolex (excluding tailor visits). I think the most I've noticed while just walking around a city or hanging out in a bar was in Copenhagen. I was just kind of wondering neighborhoods and visiting bars, nothing fancy, but the number was inflated by a group of tourists from Italy all wearing 15300's and one Smurf I believe if I'm remembering correctly. The RO wearers all wanted to talk about my Speedy oddly enough.

Up to you and I to represent in the Philly area! I like to think I'm pretty aware of the watches others are wearing around me, but to the original question - somewhat uncommon for me to see something really special in the wild. Sometimes reading these threads I get the impression that folks are running across Pateks and APs on a daily basis. I must be hanging with the wrong crowds.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Usually I don't, but just lately I have seen a fair few Rolexes out and about.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work with an older Japanese man in his 60s who has a Pepsi, Datejust, an Explorer II Polar that is simply awesome with its dial that has a perfect patina.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I live its rare to see anything nicer than say a Rolex, Omega, Breitling, or Panerai. I tend to see an above average number of nice watches if I go to Las Vegas, Chicago, Carmel CA, or NYC. Those are the cities where I tend to see more APs, Pateks, or very high quality rare vintage Rolex watches. Even in the nearest large city to me, Boston, its rare for me to see someone wearing a RO, Patek, or VC unless I go to a watch event.

atia2

Reaction score
I see a ton of Rolexes on the tube in London. I was almost thinking of getting rid of mine because they've become so common.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see a ton of Rolexes on the tube in London. I was almost thinking of getting rid of mine because they've become so common.

That mind set factored into my purchase but ultimately I just bought what I liked. If it's common so be it.

pmeis

Reaction score
The airport is where I do most of my watch spotting. Lot of Pepsis, Datejusts, and Subs (two-tone especially). When I had the blue 39mm OP, the first flight I took after I received it, the guy in the seat next to me had the exact same one. I pointed it out and he didn't seem to have much interest in that fact.

Other than that, really have to go to a Redbar type event and hope that one of my buddies has picked up something cool to see anything out of the ordinary.

atia2

Reaction score

That mind set factored into my purchase but ultimately I just bought what I liked. If it's common so be it.

Agree with you. That's why I wrote almost. I doubt I'll ever part with my Oysterquartz because I love its 1970s futurist aesthetic. Plus it's one of the rarer Rolexes - I've only seen one other in the wild.

Also, shouldn't the plural of Rolex be Rolices?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've been using that pluralization for a while, myself.

One index, two indices; one kleenex, two kleenices...

Regarding Rolex: they're popular for a reason. :)

atia2

Reaction score
Oh dear. I guess that means I'll have to buy another so I can start using it myself.

Anyone have a view on the Zenith El Primero "De Luca II"? Seems like an attractive poor man's alternative to a Daytona at around USD 3k. I understand the movement is solid (and also a minor milestone in horological history). Example:

mildundklar

Reaction score
This is - in my opinion - the most desirable watch (vintage excluded). Rough as a ******* rock, yet elegant.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads