• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neognosis

Reaction score
^take a look at White's boots. Very comfortable once you get accustomed to their arch system.

I have a pair of White's Retro Oxfords that are pretty well fitting, once I had them stretched out a bit. Like these oxfords, I'll order my semi-dress boots with a lowered heel, because I think that the arch ease thing is a gimmick based on a faulty premise. These oxfords became comfortable only after I had worn them enough to flatten out the arch anyway.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful - love it!

Thank you, it's really stunning in person. Always a risk buying a watch based purely on internet pics, but there aren't too many of these floating around. My main concern was that, even at 38mm, the cushion case would make it too large for my 6.5" wrist (as an example, I've tried on the Monaco in the past, and at 39mm square, found it much too large). Wrist shots at the angle/proximity I took tend to exaggerate the size of the watch, but in person I think it looks great. The curved lugs make all the difference.

Nice! That's a very difficult watch to find, especially in that colour. It's definitely a favourite of mine, and I think the dial quality is reference-grade in both design and execution. It's great to see another one out there.

:cheers:

:cheers: Have been looking for one of these for a bit, and the pics you've shared in the thread helped convince me. I'm not sure how many creme dials vs black have been produced (and I ran across one blue), but the black does seem more common. At least on the used market - maybe those with the creme are more apt to hang on to them! Must admit that I love the overall design and started considering buying one with a black face, but am very glad I waited; this version is certainly more of a unique overall look, and I've already got a black faced chrono in the Speedy

Don't I know it
1f641.png

Where did you find it @dcg?

Have been scouring the net for a bit now - there's a black face version on eBay from Germany and also one on Chrono24 out of perhaps Italy (which I think has been reserved). A surprising number of these seem to have been available in Japan; have seen a few Rakuten listings for sold watches.

This one popped up on eBay last Friday night and was listed in NOS condition. The asking price was quite a bit higher than I've seen these go for; I submitted an offer a fair amount below the buy it now, but certainly at a bit of a premium vs where I've seen these sell, and it was accepted. On a more common watch I'd have waited, but given the circumstances I'm quite happy to have paid perhaps a few hundred dollars extra for the watch I wanted in pristine condition.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Belligero, have you experimented with straps at all? Believe these are 21mm which makes things a bit of a pain. Nothing wrong with the brown croc (in fact, it's quite nice), but black looks fantastic as well:

Your looks to be a bit darker than mine, but I suspect we've got the same version and your has darkened with a bit of wear.

Ordinarily I'd look for a bracelet, but the bracelet for this model doesn't do much for me.

Last edited:

Winot

Reaction score
Yeah there were two on Chrono24 - the black one from Italy was shown as available but when I contacted the seller he said it wasn't. The gold one from Belgium has been reserved but the reserver still hasn't picked it up a few months on - despite this, the shop doesn't seem interested in selling it to me. Bizarre and frustrating - I can only think it's a high roller customer known to the shop.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah there were two on Chrono24 - the black one from Italy was shown as available but when I contacted the seller he said it wasn't. The gold one from Belgium has been reserved but the reserver still hasn't picked it up a few months on - despite this, the shop doesn't seem interested in selling it to me. Bizarre and frustrating - I can only think it's a high roller customer known to the shop.

Just in case you hadn't seen this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131773420809?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - I hadn't. Quite tempting, but I'd rather hold out for a white-faced dial (ideally in steel like yours). Also, I have just bought a Lange so am trying to be good!

All of a sudden, I am finding it harder to feel sorry for you....:)

WSW

Reaction score

Thanks, tiger. Anyone else? Much like elsewhere we've got responses ranging from mediocre to excellent, which again leads me to believe that 'finishing' is still a nebulous concept for most people.

I agree with tigerpac. It is well decorated: sharp inner angles, beautiful curves, polished jewel sinks and utilizing the less commonly seen fan pattern geneva stripes. Screw heads are nicely black-polished too.

Last edited:

roomiller

Reaction score
Congrats! Nothing quite like buying your first "real" watch. Wishing you many years of enjoyment. I like what Tudor's doing lately...Black Bay black may be in my future at some point.

Thank you! It really is a fantastic feeling. Its tough to explain to non-watch folk what makes this hunk of engineered metal that is 1000x worse at telling time than my iphone special, but y'all get it.

I've always felt a particularly affinity towards the Tudor brand that I can't quite explain. The snowflake hand just speaks to me on some primitive level. I know some people feel that they've been diluting their product line a little recently, and while I don't love the Black Bay dark and I hate the bronze, I think they're allowed to have a little fun with what I believe most might classify as the cheapest "luxury" diver.

Now where I would love to see them move next is a big block homage in the same style as the black bay: not a true replica but something modern with vintage queues that draw from the brand's history. The big block is an absolutely stunning watch, and a historically meaningful one at that, so I'm shocked this hasn't come to pass yet - I feel as though the new Daytona might have something to do with this. At least I have until next Basel to save for my imagined Big Block homage and should it not come to be, I can always 'settle' for an Autavia or a Speedy to scratch my chrono itch.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always just buy an original Tudor "Big Block" chrono in very good condition. They were made until the mid-1990s, I think, and you see quite a few around in pretty much mint condition for US$4000 to $5000.

Edited to add: The Tudor chrono is powered by a Valjoux 7750 movement, too, so it's reliable and spare parts are easily available.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Belligero, have you experimented with straps at all? Believe these are 21mm which makes things a bit of a pain. Nothing wrong with the brown croc (in fact, it's quite nice), but black looks fantastic as well:

Your looks to be a bit darker than mine, but I suspect we've got the same version and your has darkened with a bit of wear.

Ordinarily I'd look for a bracelet, but the bracelet for this model doesn't do much for me.

Agreed that this is not a bracelet watch. And while I'm not usually a fan of black leather, that really does look sumptuous with the ivory dial, rose gold indices and blued hands. That would make for a nice alternative to the brown.

In fact, I haven't worn it on anything other than the factory one — which has indeed darkened over time — as it didn't look quite right to me on straps I tried out in 20 and 22 mm, so I didn't bother getting anything in 21 mm. The only other watch of mine with that lug width is the Explorer II, and there's not much crossover there.

It's pretty much impossible to find a thick 21/16 mm strap with curved ends off-the-rack, and I love the quality and the hand stitching of the original. The OEM supplier is Camille Fournet, and that's what I'll be replacing the original with when it wears out; it suits the watch perfectly. I'd go for the black version you posted if I ever wore black shoes and belts, or get the same design in a different brown (or green or blue or whatever), maybe with constrast stitching.

One thing that really prolongs the strap life is using a deployant buckle; I'd suggest sourcing one to keep the hide from getting damaged where it meets the buckle as it's fastened and released.

Enjoy that pristine watch of yours!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads