• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir, but to clarify I DID NOT buy that Explorer.

smile.gif
The congratulations were for the news of your growing family. My daughters are 21 and 22 years old. Seems like hardly the day before yesterday...

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong guy.

smile.gif
The congratulations were for the news of your growing family. My daughters are 21 and 22 years old. Seems like hardly the day before yesterday...

Yes Andy, I think you're referring to @Belligero Congratulations indeed though.

Automatic, as opposed to the traditional, manual wind movement.

If that's the one that Blaugrana is talking about, it certainly is, as Joenobody0 notes, quite unloved (at least amongst watch enthusiasts).

What I like about it is the size. I wasn't considering it though. The more recent "Speedmaster reduced" has my eye.

Winot

Reaction score

Thank you sir, but to clarify I DID NOT buy that Explorer.  Was eyeing it up last night when it was listed and it sold overnight.  I just would like opinions as to the value at that price.  Seemed like a nice price.

That's a 1016, right? Seems ridiculously cheap. In the UK they start at around GBP 5000.

ebayhtl

Reaction score

I think it's distinctive and cool.  I also think it's too big for you, but phone pics can exaggerate that, and it's only my (possibly distorted) perspective.
My first thought was, that looks kind of cool as it is something different from the usual IWC Portuguese that pops up.  Congrats on the pick up.  What made you decide on this particular design?
I like the case, as I'm a fan of non-round cases. However, even for a chronograph, which will always have a lot happening, the dial seems a bit too busy. In addition, as Mimo mentioned, it does seem a bit large for you but maybe that just in photos. Still a nice change from the usual IWC products we see here. Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks guys!

Bought it because (1) big fan of IWC, (2) pricing (got it at a family & friends sale), and (3) I found the shape to be very distinctive - the square design is great, and I thought the size would also be great (on paper, it seems only a little larger than my 3777).

A couple of months on, and as you guys mentioned, I'm personally still getting used to the busy-ness of the dial and the square design - it's just so different to the 3777. I don't have a huge issue with the size - it's just a little bigger than the 3777 on wrist and it still fits under my shirt cuffs (that were tailored for the 3777), but yeah, that dial - takes some getting used to.

I like it overall, very distinctive and general feedback from third parties (non watch lovers generally) have been great too, but I'm not sure it'll be a permanent keeper like the 3777 is. Let's see! In the meantime, a few more photos.

(Forgot how to hide the below...)

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Definitely looking forward to the new arrival. '

It can't be much more difficult than having a dog, right!? :p

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Definitely looking forward to the new arrival. '

It can't be much more difficult than having a dog, right!?
tongue.gif

HA, that made me laugh...
congrats and best of luck.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Back to the finishing on the mystery movement...

While a macro lens may tell otherwise, to the naked eye - I think the finishing looks excellent. You see several of the hard to accomplish interior angles on the anglage. The vast majority of makers, (including the trinity brands) don't include this handwork until their very complicated watches. Some 'high-end' brands don't include it at all.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if anyone of you have one of these collecting dust in a drawer, please let me know:

Rolex

(26mm, Ref 179174)

Or if you know where to pick one up at a good price (would probably have to be from somewhere in Europe)...

Alternatively, how far back do you have to go to find a lady's Nautilus in steel (or maybe white gold - quartz is fine), smaller than 30mm? What references to search for?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I actually just stumbled across one of those. Do you know if it only came with a black dial, or did they offer it with a blue as well?

SteveH35

Reaction score
Been moving and haven't been on SF much. Can't believe I have 300+ posts to catch up on here!! This has been my darling for the last week. MB&F HM5. Very tough watch to photograph.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back to the finishing on the mystery movement...

While a macro lens may tell otherwise, to the naked eye - I think the finishing looks excellent. You see several of the hard to accomplish interior angles on the anglage. The vast majority of makers, (including the trinity brands) don't include this handwork until their very complicated watches. Some 'high-end' brands don't include it at all.

Thanks, tiger. Anyone else? Much like elsewhere we've got responses ranging from mediocre to excellent, which again leads me to believe that 'finishing' is still a nebulous concept for most people.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe we are about to discuss the difference between "decorative" and "good".  I wouldn't dare say that the picture above is bad, but I think it is more in the decorative category than exceptional in empirical quality.

Sorry, mimo - not trying to be combative, but I genuinely don't know what the above means. The question as posed is simply if the movement in question is well finished (as people say Dufour or Kari or Datographs are).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads