• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since several were nice enough to offer opinions I'll update... I've decided I can't make the decision on my wife's watch on my own, it's just too personal a decision and not really fair to her for me to decide. So, even though it could mean major pushback from her, I'll take the risk and I'll take her out one afternoon soon and just tell her she has no choice but to pick something :) Never thought I would spend retail for something like this, but this will have to be an exception.

To my mild surprise my wife prefers the 31mm Datejust w/ jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. We tried on some things this weekend and she loved that version. She's taking a few days to think it over before we pull the trigger. And, I didn't even have to convince her that I needed a Sub for myself... good times. I'll post a pic once acquired!

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, tiger. Anyone else? Much like elsewhere we've got responses ranging from mediocre to excellent, which again leads me to believe that 'finishing' is still a nebulous concept for most people.
I suppose there are things related to the finishing on that movement that appear well executed and others that may appear as only so/so.
To me the beveled edges, although nice, seem not perfect.
The surface underneath appears bead blasted. meh...
Some of the components are unfinished.
I am not a watchmaker, nor do I even know all of the watch specific finishing terminologies, so take my input with a grain of salt.
I am however an engineer who spent a 7 years as a machinist while in school prior to graduating, so I have some knowledge of the basic methods here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Sorry, mimo - not trying to be combative, but I genuinely don't know what the above means. The question as posed is simply if the movement in question is well finished (as people say Dufour or Kari or Datographs are).

Oh neither am I, really. Just referring to a previous discussion, and then taking a punt on this one: to be more specific about my ignorant first impression, it looks like a lot of work has gone into it to make it pretty. But, it doesn't project to me the kind of other-worldly precision that I get from looking into a Lange. That might be my own positive prejudice, and is certainly from a position of limited knowledge.

What I feel when I look at the decoration on the plates and the anglage is something homely, artisanal and hand-crafted, and what I don't see (I could be wrong), is tiny chamfering on the teeth of the wheels to reduce friction and wear. A difference of perspective. It's just a feeling, and I don't know anything about the watch in question. But as I hinted in my first post, I thought I'd just start the ball rolling by shooting from the hip and wait for someone to set me straight. I'm still there. :)

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh neither am I, really.  Just referring to a previous discussion, and then taking a punt on this one: to be more specific about my ignorant first impression, it looks like a lot of work has gone into it to make it pretty.  But, it doesn't project to me the kind of other-worldly precision that I get from looking into a Lange.  That might be my own positive prejudice, and is certainly from a position of limited knowledge.  

What I feel when I look at the decoration on the plates and the anglage is something homely, artisanal and hand-crafted, and what I don't see (I could be wrong), is tiny chamfering on the teeth of the wheels to reduce friction and wear.  A difference of perspective.  It's just a feeling, and I don't know anything about the watch in question.  But as I hinted in my first post, I thought I'd just start the ball rolling by shooting from the hip and wait for someone to set me straight. I'm still there. :)

Ah, gotcha - thanks. I'll leave it open for a bit and then share the make / model.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red, white and blue palette seems fitting for primary day here in NY. It has been a great first three months of owning this 1675. I have found it to be exceptionally versatile.

Edit: sorry guys, dont know how to resize the image so I have put spoiler tags around it.

Last edited:

roomiller

Reaction score

Been a few years since I've posted on Styleforum(I had some good laughs looking back at my 22yo self), but I've lurked in this thread plenty. Feels good to finally be able to contribute...

Had this for little less than a month now and I couldn't be more in love. I was celebrating my engagement in Paris with my fiance and sort of "impulse" bought this. I had always admired and longed after the Pelagos, but had never planned to pick one up. Walking around, I started peering through watch shop windows pointing out the watches I loved and my fiance could see the twinkle in my eye. I was hesitant to finally pull the trigger, but with the 1-2 combo of her encouragement and the VAT refund I finally went for it.

I tried on many(too many, if you ask the fiance) watches, but ultimately settled for the Pelagos because I loved the casual matte look and the idea of owning Tudors first movement. Despite the above pictures, I've been wearing it on the bracelet 95% of the time. I've never been much of a bracelet guy and i expected to swap it out right away, but it wears incredibly nicely and the spring setting on the clasp is very comfortable.

Ultimately, I'm ecstatic that I purchased this as my first watch because its something that I can see myself wearing for years and years.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been a few years since I've posted on Styleforum(I had some good laughs looking back at my 22yo self), but I've lurked in this thread plenty. Feels good to finally be able to contribute...

Had this for little less than a month now and I couldn't be more in love. I was celebrating my engagement in Paris with my fiance and sort of "impulse" bought this. I had always admired and longed after the Pelagos, but had never planned to pick one up. Walking around, I started peering through watch shop windows pointing out the watches I loved and my fiance could see the twinkle in my eye. I was hesitant to finally pull the trigger, but with the 1-2 combo of her encouragement and the VAT refund I finally went for it. 

I tried on many(too many, if you ask the fiance) watches, but ultimately settled for the Pelagos because I loved the casual matte look and the idea of owning Tudors first movement. Despite the above pictures, I've been wearing it on the bracelet 95% of the time. I've never been much of a bracelet guy and i expected to swap it out right away, but it wears incredibly nicely and the spring setting on the clasp is very comfortable.

Ultimately, I'm ecstatic that I purchased this as my first watch because its something that I can see myself wearing for years and years.

Congrats! Nothing quite like buying your first "real" watch. Wishing you many years of enjoyment. I like what Tudor's doing lately...Black Bay black may be in my future at some point.

Last edited:

Winot

Reaction score

Nice! That's a very difficult watch to find, especially in that colour.
:

Don't I know it
1f641.png

Where did you find it @dcg?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads