• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s reductive, Choc. “We can do this but we forgot on this occasion”; oh, was it the birth of a new movement?
It’s pervasive across the industry, though, right? Bigger and thicker across the board. Except for Bulgari, thin but broad enough for Hannibal to float an elephant across Gibraltar. Thin Bulgari is known to be unreliable as well.

Scuppers-02

Reaction score
It’s pervasive across the industry, though, right? Bigger and thicker across the board. Except for Bulgari, thin but broad enough for Hannibal to float an elephant across Gibraltar. Thin Bulgari is known to be unreliable as well.
As a fragile meritorious contest, yes!
I hold Patek in absolute contemp with regard to their “Grande Complication” programme. While the individual comps are of note, the module layering drives me nuts.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a fragile meritorious contest, yes!
I hold Patek in absolute contemp with regard to their “Grande Complication” programme. While the individual comps are of note, the module layering drives me nuts.
I do agree with you. Those late 90s and earlier watches are majestic on the wrist whereas all the new stuff is clunky by comparison. The Cartier Tank LC is a prime example. If one hasn’t worn an old F. Piguet ultra thin model, one would never know how thick the current iteration wears.

Scuppers-02

Reaction score
I do agree with you. Those late 90s and earlier watches are majestic on the wrist whereas all the new stuff is clunky by comparison. The Cartier Tank LC is a prime example. If one hasn’t worn an old F. Piguet ultra thin model, one would never know how thick the current iteration wears.
With the 3615 they could of brought the industry to it’s knees, alas, another modular comp.

pmeis

Reaction score
@brax @chocomallo

I have done, um, significant reshuffling.

This leaves me with a collection that, on balance, feels really confusing. By EOY, my collection will consist of: 3941; Berneron Mirage; Movado Celestograf; Bulgari OF; JLC MUT Moon; Speedy Pro; Rolex Explorer; Tudor P39.

I might further cull the collection. My Speedy Pro seldom gets wear compared to the Explorer or the P39. But, at a minimum, my sports watches are a dive watch, a "field" watch (or whatever the Explorer is), and a chronograph - covers all the bases. The JLC MUT Moon feels highly derivative of the 3941 and perhaps even the Celestograf. That might be on the chopping block, but I have a soft spot for it. My biggest issue: I really cannot trace a through line through what is now the collection. I almost wish I got the Prussian Blue Mirage just so it would mesh better - but I do believe the Siena is the "best on the board."

I like this approach, maybe because it's a bougier version of what I've ended up with. A couple "flagship" pieces, a couple toolsy watches and a couple, more eccentric pieces. Covers all the basis, not too much overlap, with just enough variety/horological interest. I don't feel I have enough mental bandwidth to fully appreciate much more than this. Doesn't mean I might not upgrade or change out certain watches at some point, but I think the diminishing returns beyond this get to be too much for me.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, it is a 3941.

I have set it! And haven't taken it off.

View attachment 2250953
While that's nice and all...THIS IS MAGNIFICENT!

IMG_4063.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blackademic