• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smelled bullshit since I saw that guy for the first time. Mr. Skinnypants was living a movie in his head spending other peoples money.
How could anybody (including him) be surprised at this outcome? The fact that people followed him, consigned watches, etc. all after that disappearing act and subsequent BS excuse.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DARPA/CIA/NSA/MIT/Stanford et al. conference, circa. 2001;

"So, at last we can agree on this prototype for a new model of telecommunication (working title; Social Media). What must make it so compelling, and what will set it apart from all prior forms? Summarise it to an emotive statement of no more than eight words."

Who is that? What a self indulgent rant!

(Cute fact; Project LifeLog coincidentally shut down on the very same date in 2004 when The Facebook launched)

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0469.jpeg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Smooth!
I would challenge you to drive on a long bumpy road with all of these.

It reminded me of, growing up, 'the kid' who had the fancy legos. I was filled with admiration and a generous ounce of resentment.

That’s some random pic. Mine would show a Timex and a Kia.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL. Damage control! Dude comes across as the Sam Bankman Fraud of the used watch world. “We are above board unlike those other guys, trust me.” Has anyone here actually bought from guys like The Timepiece Gentleman and Luxury Bazaar?

Schwazer

Reaction score
Taiwanese frogmen wearing no crown guard Rolex Submariners (1958). The photo was snapped by John Dominis, who was covering the Second Taiwan Straits Crisis at the time; framing the iconic diver’s watch as an action man’s tool, rather than a concrete cowboy’s status symbol.

taiwanese-frogmen-during-the-second-taiwan-straight-crisis-v0-bn8zw01fsqbb1.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been mulling over my design for the KV GMT-6. It is enjoyable to think about the options, but also extremely overwhelming. So far, this is where I am:

Overall, I am using the following as inspiration:

1691175335621.png

I enjoy the tonal color palette, am leaning towards an icy platinum case - although tantalum is a tantalizing option - and I am leaning towards downsizing the typical 39mm case to 37.5 mm.

However, I want to modernize the inspiration. Right now, I am leaning towards an engraving of the following (although, to be frank, this is still something I am thinking about):

1691175435976.png

This is an interpretation / reinterpretation of my rosebud - the mountains where I grew up skiing and spending my summers, back when times were much simpler. I think this is something that could be executed well in an engraving.

In terms of the GMT disk, I believe that the disk in the original is a little too ornate given the simplicity of the proposed engraving. I found the below disks online and I think these - or something more reduced - would be more appropriate:

1691178205680.png

1691178238928.png

I like the dark navy - not sure about the gold, maybe something in grey would be nice. To be honest, this is where I am struggling the most.

I want to reduce the number of numerals - leaning more towards arabic numerals at 12-3-9 and then baton indices.

I want hand made removed from the dial. Undecided on the cabochon that is often used, but leaning towards removing the cabochon.

Look forward to actually getting renders - thinking about engaging a graphic artist to help with renders beforehand.

Then, in addition to this somewhat crazier, more fussy dial, I will get a super traditional spare dial - likely in salmon (a good reason to go platinum instead of tantalum) - because that seems like a no-brainer.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been mulling over my design for the KV GMT-6. It is enjoyable to think about the options, but also extremely overwhelming. So far, this is where I am:

Overall, I am using the following as inspiration:

View attachment 2002729

I enjoy the tonal color palette, am leaning towards an icy platinum case - although tantalum is a tantalizing option - and I am leaning towards downsizing the typical 39mm case to 37.5 mm.

However, I want to modernize the inspiration. Right now, I am leaning towards an engraving of the following (although, to be frank, this is still something I am thinking about):

View attachment 2002739

This is an interpretation / reinterpretation of my rosebud - the mountains where I grew up skiing and spending my summers, back when times were much simpler. I think this is something that could be executed well in an engraving.

In terms of the GMT disk, I believe that the disk in the original is a little too ornate given the simplicity of the proposed engraving. I found the below disks online and I think these - or something more reduced - would be more appropriate:

View attachment 2002753
View attachment 2002755

I like the dark navy - not sure about the gold, maybe something in grey would be nice. To be honest, this is where I am struggling the most.

I want to reduce the number of numerals - leaning more towards arabic numerals at 12-3-9 and then baton indices.

I want hand made removed from the dial. Undecided on the cabochon that is often used, but leaning towards removing the cabochon.

Look forward to actually getting renders - thinking about engaging a graphic artist to help with renders beforehand.

Then, in addition to this somewhat crazier, more fussy dial, I will get a super traditional spare dial - likely in salmon (a good reason to go platinum instead of tantalum) - because that seems like a no-brainer.
Pretty cool. I like the mountain engraving idea and agree there is some incongruity between that simple pencil-style drawing/engraving and the relatively ornate disc. Is this a completely bespoke commission? If not, what are your limits/guidelines?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads