• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a nice black alligator strap on my JLC and tend to only wear it with tailoring or times when I want a little formality.

I would not wear it bopping about outside as I would want the band to get sweat stained and the watch looks too formal anyway. Outdoor stuff calls for a sportier/casual watch.

It's my point as well.

Cosmopolitan_

Reaction score
Anyone knows if there are well built, good looking and affordable alternatives to Longines Moonphase Dial Watches? I find these absolutely amazing to rock with a suit.

OIP.NGscDP7sVNg72erdAyTIuwHaHH

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key here is "how many people". In many global cities the GT3 is actually relatively "common" and not a particularly exciting sight (possibly because it is a sort of default choice at that price point?). We also have a lot of modern Ferraris.

I get excited when I see a Testarossa, there was a pristine one parked next to my office in Geneva (seemingly as a commuter car, and parked outside, the madman), or (think someone talks about it later thread but I can't find it) my personal grail in Asia, the Toyota Century particularly first or second gen (again more exciting to me than a Rolls Royce).

I think the same of the 200 series LC but its total failure in the US market (merely "hundreds" of units sold, eventually withdrawn) kind of confirms your "how many people".

Generally speaking in Asia Japan is kind of the top quality for the region and I would argue in some fields for the world (I vastly prefer fine dining in Tokyo or Kyoto to, say, Paris). And the Engrish is part of it. So give me "Grand Seiko" any day on that measure.

However, I think GS used to be great value for money and no longer is, due to both a downgrade in quality (less and less black polishing esp on cheaper models, less accurate movements as discussed, etc.) and like the rest of Seiko, an increase in price. The key to GS VFM was the price being so low. In a sense Credor's quartz range still hits that, but why would you buy that over a zaratsu-polished Casio (ironically, in Seiko's Micro-Artist studio, instead of the GS) or Citizen UHQ for half the price? Would you buy the GT3 if it had 2/3 the horsepower and cost as much as an Enzo?

Just to clarify, I think the name Grand Seiko just doesn't have the same cache as some Swiss brands. I only picked the GT3 (a great car to drive) as an example, because they are current model and it is tough to get allocations for to build one to your own specs. So for that reason, it does appeal to some as a special vehicle. However, it's not a particularly rare car. I was at a small local Porsche Club event last weekend and their were at least 5 in attendance. In addition, be it Ferrari or other exotic car brands, all of them build far more cars than they used to. Just a brief example...from 1968 to 74 Ferrari built about 4,000 Dino 246GT & GTS models and from 2000 to about 2005 they built about 20,000 360 models. Want something quick and with modern creature comforts, buy new. Want something rare, buy vintage!

I am aware that native Japanese people have a certain level of pride in the items they produce . A college friend from Japan had expressed that. He also told me all of the Japanese TVs, audio equipment and other goods sold to the US were generally a few years old and outdated stuff they were getting rid of, but even their outdated stuff was better than the newest US made AV equipment. People in the US certainly believe that Japanese brands offer good, reliable products at reasonable prices. There are certainly Japanese products that are superior to what is produced in the States or Europe. The original Acura/Honda NSX made Porsche, Ferrari and other sports car makers rethink what they were offering and improve their products. However, for some it is a real struggle to view Japanese products having any real cache. Just think of Honda and Acura. In Japan their supercar was sold as a Honda NSX...in the US it was sold as an Acura NSX and after the initial excitement about the NSX wore off, and supply caught up with demand they sat on dealer lots and were tough to sell for many years. In addition, they were quickly forgotten once Porsche released their 993 and Ferrari released their F355. Only in recent years has there been a big renewed interest in them (because they are good cars, because of Fast and Furious films, and a younger generation with a strong interest in JDM cars).

Grand Seikos might be nicely finished, maybe even better finished than some Swiss competitors. However, it will always be looked on by some as just a fancy Seiko. It leaves some saying, why buy a fancy Seiko when anyone can buy a Seiko, but for the same money as a fancy Seiko one can buy a JLC, GP, Omega, etc.? Sort of like when VW offered their high end Phaeton but you could buy an Audi A8, MB S class, or BMW 7 series for the same money. The VW was nice...but some people just can't justify it when you can get something that would be viewed as higher end by the general public. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I understand it.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question but where do y’all wear your watch? I wear mine behind the wristbone, maybe 1/2” behind.
About the same

52934853027_116075ab7f_b.jpg

53025562926_4564f8095a_b.jpg

53024604124_3e3ae82aca_b.jpg

52928317871_feb6295b1e_b.jpg

52928439209_7aab2ba5ef_b.jpg

I used to wear it differently and it was a big mistake :)

53057787097_2eca8ee08f_o.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if there are well built, good looking and affordable alternatives to Longines Moonphase Dial Watches? I find these absolutely amazing to rock with a suit.

OIP.NGscDP7sVNg72erdAyTIuwHaHH

Do you not want the Longines, or do you have it and want something similar?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear mine just barely above the wrist bone. I don’t like it too tight, but definitely tight enough not to slide past the wrist bone

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, on a completely different note - I have come to the conclusion that tang buckles rock, and deployants - particularly single deployants - suck. I do not know if I ever want to wear a leather-band watch on a deployant again.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I think the name Grand Seiko just doesn't have the same cache as some Swiss brands. I only picked the GT3 (a great car to drive) as an example, because they are current model and it is tough to get allocations for to build one to your own specs. So for that reason, it does appeal to some as a special vehicle. However, it's not a particularly rare car. I was at a small local Porsche Club event last weekend and their were at least 5 in attendance. In addition, be it Ferrari or other exotic car brands, all of them build far more cars than they used to. Just a brief example...from 1968 to 74 Ferrari built about 4,000 Dino 246GT & GTS models and from 2000 to about 2005 they built about 20,000 360 models. Want something quick and with modern creature comforts, buy new. Want something rare, buy vintage!

I am aware that native Japanese people have a certain level of pride in the items they produce . A college friend from Japan had expressed that. He also told me all of the Japanese TVs, audio equipment and other goods sold to the US were generally a few years old and outdated stuff they were getting rid of, but even their outdated stuff was better than the newest US made AV equipment. People in the US certainly believe that Japanese brands offer good, reliable products at reasonable prices. There are certainly Japanese products that are superior to what is produced in the States or Europe. The original Acura/Honda NSX made Porsche, Ferrari and other sports car makers rethink what they were offering and improve their products. However, for some it is a real struggle to view Japanese products having any real cache. Just think of Honda and Acura. In Japan their supercar was sold as a Honda NSX...in the US it was sold as an Acura NSX and after the initial excitement about the NSX wore off, and supply caught up with demand they sat on dealer lots and were tough to sell for many years. In addition, they were quickly forgotten once Porsche released their 993 and Ferrari released their F355. Only in recent years has there been a big renewed interest in them (because they are good cars, because of Fast and Furious films, and a younger generation with a strong interest in JDM cars).

Grand Seikos might be nicely finished, maybe even better finished than some Swiss competitors. However, it will always be looked on by some as just a fancy Seiko. It leaves some saying, why buy a fancy Seiko when anyone can buy a Seiko, but for the same money as a fancy Seiko one can buy a JLC, GP, Omega, etc.? Sort of like when VW offered their high end Phaeton but you could buy an Audi A8, MB S class, or BMW 7 series for the same money. The VW was nice...but some people just can't justify it when you can get something that would be viewed as higher end by the general public. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I understand it.

I get your point, and it's true, Grand Seiko doesn't and probably won't ever have the prestige of some Swiss brand, positioned in the same range.

Though, if one has a not biased vision, it's undeniable that they have produced some lovely watches.

I particularly love the SBGW231 (yes, I hate these names).

Screenshot (586).png

And would any time prefer it to a Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get your point, and it's true, Grand Seiko doesn't and probably won't ever have the prestige of some Swiss brand, positioned in the same range.

Though, if one has a not biased vision, it's undeniable that they have produced some lovely watches.

I particularly love the SBGW231G (yes, I hate these names).

View attachment 1994093

And would any time prefer it to a Rolex Oyster Perpetual.
If I were to get a GS, I'd get the SBGY007. The watch is 38.5mm with a thickness of 10mm so pretty good size for a dress/casual watch. Spring drive, no date, with the power reserve on the back.

I'd probably change the strap but everything else is nice.
1689889317637.png

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you’d wear a watch specific to shorts just for the 10-20 min stroller walk in the morning and then change when you put your suit on? I mean I get the idea of pairing but in this case everyone’s missing the forest for the trees I think
I do this all the time. If you change clothes, why not change watches? I often wear three watches over the course of a day.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to get a GS, I'd get the SBGY007. The watch is 38.5mm with a thickness of 10mm so pretty good size for a dress/casual watch. Spring drive, no date, with the power reserve on the back.

I'd probably change the strap but everything else is nice.
View attachment 1994119

Not a fan of those textured dials, but the shape and the size are beautiful.

This is my preference in that range, SBGK009.

sbgk009-grand-seiko-baselworld-2019-1.jpg

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat ironically I suppose, Watches of Switzerland actually carries the brand. I stopped in that insane American Dream mall last weekend and tried a few on. Biggest surprise personally was that I thought the titanium Lake Suwa was way more impressive in person than it looks from the pics.
lakesuwa.png

There's an Analog:Shift display inside that store too, even though it's not listed on the website, but my wife and son were pulling on me to leave by that point so I didn't check out what was available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads