• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Gator is so vulgar. Get Crocodile, much more beautiful.

IMG_5949.jpeg

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a proud, card-carrying member of the Rainbow club. @troika

Really, though, I choose a watch for the day and just wear it with whatever I am wearing. It will be tailoring 30 minutes from now.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really, though, I choose a watch for the day and just wear it with whatever I am wearing. It will be tailoring 30 minutes from now.

Legitimate point, of course, though I think that there's a reason why one is a dress watch, the other is a sport watch and another one is rather a casual watch.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. My approach is the opposite. I choose my watch after I decide what I’m wearing:
Slot 1 and 2 are watches reserved for travel.
Slot 3 watch is for jeans or shorts or jean shorts or short jeans even.
Slot 4 watch is for casual suits, odd jackets, or knitwear.
Slot 5 watch is business suits.
Slot 6 watch is formal, social occasions.
All slots have been filled and any further watch purchases (upgrades) will be on a one-in one-out basis. I can’t imagine ever finding something that will upgrade my slots 2, 3, or 5.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting married in a few months and will be wearing black tie. Despite the trad rule of not wearing a watch during one's own wedding (and while wearing black tie), I'm planning on wearing my Santos (stainless), as it was given to me by my fiance as an engagement gift.

It's the new model with the quick-change system, so unfortunately my options for straps seem to be limited to paying an arm and a leg (and possibly waiting 3+ months) for one from Cartier, or paying just an arm for an unauthorized third party strap with the quick change adapters. Or I can just wear it on the stainless bracelet.

Is the move to go with a black leather (I'm thinking alligator, from here), or will the bracelet "suffice"? I rarely wear black leather, so it may get worn a handful of times, but perhaps it'll be nice to cover that base... (I know it's my wedding, my rules, etc, and I'm not sure if it really matters, but looking for opinions)
Congrats and have fun on the big day! Great watch, wear it on the bracelet if you can't get a alligator strap in time. I think either way it will look great. As @Texasmade said, unless you are flaunting it, no one is going to notice or pay attention to your watch. I'd have no issue wearing it on the bracelet even if it might drive poor @brax to have a nervous breakdown! Afterall, that's what friends are for...:rotflmao:

I'd also suggest when you order an alligator strap, order a rubber strap from the ADLC model. It's a great choice for summer and super comfortable. They even put steel screws in the top section of the strap to carry on the theme of the bezel and metal bracelet.

Here is mine on a Cartier rubber strap.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legitimate point, of course, though I think that there's a reason why one is a dress watch, the other is a sport watch and another one is rather a casual watch.

So you’d wear a watch specific to shorts just for the 10-20 min stroller walk in the morning and then change when you put your suit on? I mean I get the idea of pairing but in this case everyone’s missing the forest for the trees I think

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you’d wear a watch specific to shorts just for the 10-20 min stroller walk in the morning and then change when you put your suit on? I mean I get the idea of pairing but in this case everyone’s missing the forest for the trees I think

Wear what you like the way you like.

My point is, if you want to make a statement like that, you will also choose the right context.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear what you like the way you like.

My point is, if you want to make a statement like that, you will also choose the right context.
I have a nice black alligator strap on my JLC and tend to only wear it with tailoring or times when I want a little formality.

I would not wear it bopping about outside as I would want the band to get sweat stained and the watch looks too formal anyway. Outdoor stuff calls for a sportier/casual watch.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonRitte