• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlairW

Reaction score
Still has the old 1861 movement with the ****** bracelet and it's a two tone Speedmaster.

If you want an Olympic SE Speedmaster get the Rising Sun (red), Gemini 4 knockoff (blue), or Apollo 11 35th anniversary (black panda). For non-Speedmaster Tokyo Olympics SE watch, go for the blue bezel white dial Seamaster 300m Diver Pro.

Bracelet too thick? The 35th anniversary is nice but its also another 50% on the price..

pmeis

Reaction score
Forget the length of the content, but just consider the volume of the content. All I kept thinking was where is Hodinkee? They did one episode of Hodinkee radio and that was after day one. I’m sure they’ll do another episode come this Monday, but I was thinking they would reserve an entire episode for the MoonSwatch. I’m not a big fan of much of their writing team these days, but I’m rather shocked at the lack of video content.

Um…They did four episodes of the podcast this week.

pmeis

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your Polo S thoughts! If m not mistaken, you have a similarly negative view on GP Laureato?

Which leads me to...what about Chopard Alpine Eagle? And to cut to the chase even further: It seems like their aren’t a lot of good options for an “elegant/sports” watch that isn’t of the currently unobtainable variety (nautilus, RO, Overseas) that doesn’t blatantly mimic nautilus, RO, Overseas?

Folks, what is the best non- Nautilus, RO, Overseas (that fits within that category)?

I know Newc went with the octof.

Other non-hype options?

Curious...

I’m generally not a date hater, but the standard Alpine Eagle has the dumbest date placement in the biz. Kills a fun watch to me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your Polo S thoughts! If m not mistaken, you have a similarly negative view on GP Laureato?

Which leads me to...what about Chopard Alpine Eagle? And to cut to the chase even further: It seems like their aren’t a lot of good options for an “elegant/sports” watch that isn’t of the currently unobtainable variety (nautilus, RO, Overseas) that doesn’t blatantly mimic nautilus, RO, Overseas?

Folks, what is the best non- Nautilus, RO, Overseas (that fits within that category)?

I know Newc went with the octof.

Other non-hype options?

Curious...

Actually, I really like the GP. Its one of the original luxury sports watches, coming to market before the Nautilus and the IWC Jumbo Ingenieur SL. While definitely influenced by the RO, the design is different enough to stand on its own. Where it falls short for me is I don't like their very tiny Cloud de Paris pattern and their dials, seem sort of lifeless and flat in terms of color and appearance. It's other major shortcoming is the bracelet. I like its overall look and design, but in person it seemed rather flimsy (also a criticism I have of the 5711 and 5712/A1 bracelets).

The Alpine Eagle, I love the blue dial and it's texture and its bracelet. Things I dislike the Roman numeral hour markers and it's bezel. I really don't like Roman's on any sports watch. I find them too formal and awkward even on a luxury sports watch. I didn't like them on past Daytonas, the Nautilus 3710, and I don't like them on the Alpine Eagle. As for the bezel, I think maybe they should have stuck with their last version of the St. Moritz bezel. To me it lost some of it's identity and DNA. when they gave it a totally round bezel, but then added "Ears." It has a nice movement, and since we were recently talking about watches that are more bracelet than watch, this is one of them. However, I mean that in a good way. The bracelet is wide, doesn't taper much, but looks great, feels great, and doesn't look like anyone else's design. I also like that you can't easily see the clasp, it just blends in the the bracelet design. Personally, I think their bracelet feels like it is far higher in quality and durability than the Nautilus or Laureato bracelets. I tried this on about 6 months ago. The more I look at pix of it, if they got rid of the Romans and maybe revised the bezel & ears, I could really like this watch a lot.

Hear are pix I took a few months ago when I first saw one in person.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/bMkXw1tl.jpg[/img]']

https%3A//i.imgur.com/CN2oVPDl.jpg[/img]']

I like the Octo F. I think its a great case, and design. I don't love the bracelet in terms of looks or feel on my wrist. But I may be the odd man out on that issue. Plus I like how it looks on a strap, more than the bracelet, as the facets of the lugs become more apparent and don't get lost in the bracelet.

Although, you seemed to think the Santos is primarily a dress watch, I would disagree completely. I think its definitely more sports watch and probably one of the least expensive luxury sports watch designs one could buy. The Santos de Cartier is a derivative of the original Santos design...which is truly the first men's tool watch. It was designed for aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont so his hands would be free to operate the controls of his air ships (rather than reaching for a pocket watch). The Santos de Cartier, was released after the RO, Laureato, Nautilus, in 1978, and borrowed nothing from those watches. Interestingly, unlike those watches, it was an instant success. It doesn't have as finely finished movement as an AP, PP, VC etc, but in its price range its tough to beat. Also, its design is so different from a DJ, one can easily have both in a collection and not feel they are redundant. I have the RO and the Santos and enjoy wearing both as they are different, but they feel like the same genre even if in different price ranges. I've even seen an Overseas vs. Santos comparison on Youtube. I find the Santos is a fantastic daily wearer and rugged enough for anything. It's antimagnetic, water resistant to 100 meters, and its incredibly versatile, since the large size you can put on a metal bracelet, rubber strap, or leather strap. In my opinion, its a great do almost anything kind of watch.

Here is a side by side shot.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/8RbIgzHl.jpg[/img]']

As @Texasmade suggested perhaps Moser. I find a bit weird looking, but that might appeal to you. I don't love the Czapek Antarctique...but maybe you do?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bracelet too thick? The 35th anniversary is nice but its also another 50% on the price..
It's the non tapering male endlink bracelet. The bracelets on the 3861's are much better than the 1861 bracelets.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
I feel like Wei Koh is always yakked up, but then he spits some serious knowledge and is clearly prepared for his interviews. I like him, he is a character.

One thing I thought was interesting in the conversation with Thierry that you posted, Foo, is his comment about the practicality and ease of use of the new movement in the 5326. That movement is very interesting and useful. Anyone who has played with a Patek AC or PCC (or one from any other brand) knows what a pain ********** it is to set it, the crazy rules associated with when you set it (6:00 am), in what order, etc. It’s enough that I sometimes do not set it at all. I appreciate that Patek has gone to lengths to think about how to make the complications in this watch more useful and user friendly. This could be fertile ground for additional improvements in existing complications.

Journe has figured this out. You can set his PC in about 60 seconds.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I really like the GP. Its one of the original luxury sports watches, coming to market before the Nautilus and the IWC Jumbo Ingenieur SL. While definitely influenced by the RO, the design is different enough to stand on its own. Where it falls short for me is I don't like their very tiny Cloud de Paris pattern and their dials, seem sort of lifeless and flat in terms of color and appearance. It's other major shortcoming is the bracelet. I like its overall look and design, but in person it seemed rather flimsy (also a criticism I have of the 5711 and 5712/A1 bracelets).

The Alpine Eagle, I love the blue dial and it's texture and its bracelet. Things I dislike the Roman numeral hour markers and it's bezel. I really don't like Roman's on any sports watch. I find them too formal and awkward even on a luxury sports watch. I didn't like them on past Daytonas, the Nautilus 3710, and I don't like them on the Alpine Eagle. As for the bezel, I think maybe they should have stuck with their last version of the St. Moritz bezel. To me it lost some of it's identity and DNA. when they gave it a totally round bezel, but then added "Ears." It has a nice movement, and since we were recently talking about watches that are more bracelet than watch, this is one of them. However, I mean that in a good way. The bracelet is wide, doesn't taper much, but looks great, feels great, and doesn't look like anyone else's design. I also like that you can't easily see the clasp, it just blends in the the bracelet design. Personally, I think their bracelet feels like it is far higher in quality and durability than the Nautilus or Laureato bracelets. I tried this on about 6 months ago. The more I look at pix of it, if they got rid of the Romans and maybe revised the bezel & ears, I could really like this watch a lot.

Hear are pix I took a few months ago when I first saw one in person.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/tlndssRl.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/bMkXw1tl.jpg[/img]']
https%3A//i.imgur.com/tlndssRl.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/CN2oVPDl.jpg[/img]']

I like the Octo F. I think its a great case, and design. I don't love the bracelet in terms of looks or feel on my wrist. But I may be the odd man out on that issue. Plus I like how it looks on a strap, more than the bracelet, as the facets of the lugs become more apparent and don't get lost in the bracelet.

Although, you seemed to think the Santos is primarily a dress watch, I would disagree completely. I think its definitely more sports watch and probably one of the least expensive luxury sports watch designs one could buy. The Santos de Cartier is a derivative of the original Santos design...which is truly the first men's tool watch. It was designed for aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont so his hands would be free to operate the controls of his air ships (rather than reaching for a pocket watch). The Santos de Cartier, was released after the RO, Laureato, Nautilus, in 1978, and borrowed nothing from those watches. Interestingly, unlike those watches, it was an instant success. It doesn't have as finely finished movement as an AP, PP, VC etc, but in its price range its tough to beat. Also, its design is so different from a DJ, one can easily have both in a collection and not feel they are redundant. I have the RO and the Santos and enjoy wearing both as they are different, but they feel like the same genre even if in different price ranges. I've even seen an Overseas vs. Santos comparison on Youtube. I find the Santos is a fantastic daily wearer and rugged enough for anything. It's antimagnetic, water resistant to 100 meters, and its incredibly versatile, since the large size you can put on a metal bracelet, rubber strap, or leather strap. In my opinion, its a great do almost anything kind of watch.

Here is a side by side shot.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/NPf8UvYl.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/8RbIgzHl.jpg[/img]']

As @Texasmade suggested perhaps Moser. I find a bit weird looking, but that might appeal to you. I don't love the Czapek Antarctique...but maybe you do?
While we occasionally disagree… Man (i hate that i wrote that), we could not be in a more entrenched agreement.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Datejust 41 is the best blue-dial, steel sporty-ish watch that you can still get at a somewhat reasonable price (if not MSRP). If you don't frip it up with the fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet it is definitely more on the rugged side.

View attachment 1775435
This watch is near-perfect. I love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads