• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have given my wife two Cartier watches that I spent a lot of time and effort finding for her. Both are manual wind and she adores them. With that said, unless I set them for her and wind them, the odds of them being the right time or even wound are about 7 %...

As is what I did for my wife with the Oris.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ there is a romantic or perhaps even a poetic sensibility that can be used to describe an automatic vs. quartz movement.

One is a soulless hunk of metal powered by a chemical battery and a rock. The other represents an attempt by the watchmaker to chase perfection; to attempt to gaze upon the face of God by devising such an instrument as to measure the unfolding of His creation.

Jesus that's some **** poetry.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've read lots of posts from guys looking to buy wives or girlfriends watches. The big mistake guys often make is buying their wife of girlfriend the watch that they would want based on their own interest/knowledge of watches, rather than getting her the watch she truly wants.

I can lend an opinion to my wife on a watch, but she will be a lot happier and wear the watch more if it is the one she wants rather than the one I would want, if I were in her shoes (but using my OCD male watch oriented brain).

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ there is a romantic or perhaps even a poetic sensibility that can be used to describe an automatic vs. quartz movement.

One is a soulless hunk of metal powered by a chemical battery and a rock. The other represents an attempt by the watchmaker to chase perfection; to attempt to gaze upon the face of God by devising such an instrument as to measure the unfolding of His creation.
Depends on the quality. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
while at it.. I think I need one more reverso as this one is getting more wrist time vs other dress watches..

View attachment 1425879
How about this one?

hero-mens-dress-watch.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Reverso Duo, but it's not a good travel watch. The pusher should advance the front (local time) face by one hour increments, not the back (home time) face. It's good if you regularly call friends, family, or business contacts in different time zones.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
Fun new addition has arrived:
E50BB9CB-6C90-4F75-8C73-4C314E36AF02.jpeg

Maybe not the most exciting GMT, but it’s a very nice watch for the money spent. The case and bracelet wear very comfortably.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I like the Reverso Duo, but it's not a good travel watch. The pusher should advance the front (local time) face by one hour increments, not the back (home time) face. It's good if you regularly call friends, family, or business contacts in different time zones.
You can solve that by using the back as the front at those times :rimshot:

Here's an interesting JLC: a limited edition of 100 very thin (4mm) two-hand dress watches, made for the new "Kingsman" movie.
1595287083753.png

1595287256134.png

List price (tax paid) in the UK is £26900, through Richemont's recently-acquired online luxury retailer exclusively. Seems expensive, but to be fair, it is an unusual watch completely different to the standard collections - not just some opportunistic dial change

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics