• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CEO of AP said it actually costs more to manufacture an automatic or manual movement for a ladies watch than a mens watch because the movement is so small. That's why most ladies watches tend to be quartz.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most ladies sized watches will be quartz unless one goes with a Rolex or an Omega. Occasionally, I've seen ladies sized manual wind watches, but most women don't want to deal with winding one on a daily basis.

i think that’s the more accurate answer Vs. the whole “cost of the movement” thing.

the latter is probably more PC. Let’s face it; men and women are different. In general, women wear a watch as more an item of jewelry whereas men are drawn to the more technical aspects.

A long time ago I bought an Oris for my wife. It was an automatic, with a date no less. She hated it and rarely wore it because she didn’t want to hassle with setting it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think that’s the more accurate answer Vs. the whole “cost of the movement” thing.

the latter is probably more PC. Let’s face it; men and women are different. In general, women wear a watch as more an item of jewelry whereas men are drawn to the more technical aspects.

A long time ago I bought an Oris for my wife. It was an automatic, with a date no less. She hated it and rarely wore it because she didn’t want to hassle with setting it.

This is an amazing catch 22, if she wore it regularly, it would not need to be wound or set all that often. But when not worn, would need to wound and set before wearing. So the solution, if she doesn’t want to bother with setting it, is to wear it regularly.

alpyigit

Reaction score
Long time no photo!
fullsizeoutput_3a4e.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an amazing catch 22, if she wore it regularly, it would not need to be wound or set all that often. But when not worn, would need to wound and set before wearing. So the solution, if she doesn’t want to bother with setting it, is to wear it regularly.

she had another watch that she would wear depending on the outfit. And sometimes no watch at all. I’ve bought her several other timepieces over the years and she just prefers a quartz movement.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, as for quartz movements in ladies watcehs,

I agree completely. Those of us here on this thread, obsess about watches, their movements, whether they are automatic, manual or quartz, and various other nuances that matter little to most women. Most women want a watch based on its design. Also their busy day to day lives, most women do not want to be bothered with winding a watch or setting it if they put it down for a few days. They just want to put it on and enjoy its style and know that the time is correct.

Although, I must admit, my watch obsessing has indirectly prejudiced my wife and one of my female friends against quartz watches. I even said to my wife, "If you considered a quartz watch, you would have many more options, and I have a Rolex Oysterquartz." She said that after listening to me talk about and write about watches for years she wants an automatic, because unless it is an automatic or manual she doesn't feel like she is getting a "Real movement." In the end for her first good watch she chose a large size Cartier Tank Francaise (which isn't large by today's standards), because it had an automatic movement. She loved the style and did not want the medium or small, which were quartz. When I suggested a Rolex DJ, she said she preferred the TF design, even if it doesn't have an inhouse movement. She eventually did get a Rolex in steel and rose gold, but she wears her TF 98% of the time.

For the bulk of women, if they love a design the movement is irrelevant.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ there is a romantic or perhaps even a poetic sensibility that can be used to describe an automatic vs. quartz movement.

One is a soulless hunk of metal powered by a chemical battery and a rock. The other represents an attempt by the watchmaker to chase perfection; to attempt to gaze upon the face of God by devising such an instrument as to measure the unfolding of His creation.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, as for quartz movements in ladies watcehs,

I agree completely. Those of us here on this thread, obsess about watches, their movements, whether they are automatic, manual or quartz, and various other nuances that matter little to most women. Most women want a watch based on its design. Also their busy day to day lives, most women do not want to be bothered with winding a watch or setting it if they put it down for a few days. They just want to put it on and enjoy its style and know that the time is correct.

Although, I must admit, my watch obsessing has indirectly prejudiced my wife and one of my female friends against quartz watches. I even said to my wife, "If you considered a quartz watch, you would have many more options, and I have a Rolex Oysterquartz." She said that after listening to me talk about and write about watches for years she wants an automatic, because unless it is an automatic or manual she doesn't feel like she is getting a "Real movement." In the end for her first good watch she chose a large size Cartier Tank Francaise (which isn't large by today's standards), because it had an automatic movement. She loved the style and did not want the medium or small, which were quartz. When I suggested a Rolex DJ, she said she preferred the TF design, even if it doesn't have an inhouse movement. She eventually did get a Rolex in steel and rose gold, but she wears her TF 98% of the time.

For the bulk of women, if they love a design the movement is irrelevant.

I have given my wife two Cartier watches that I spent a lot of time and effort finding for her. Both are manual wind and she adores them. With that said, unless I set them for her and wind them, the odds of them being the right time or even wound are about 7 %...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777