• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article 26

Reaction score
That is what always bothers me about Rolex. They truly have a good product (quite overpriced for what it is thou) but not more overpriced than other designer things. Yet they also attract people who know nothing about watches but only pays the money for the brand - the people who think Rolex is the "best of the world". It unfortunately makes me avoid the brand.
I’m no Rolex champion for much the same reasons as you. I respect their success and the very limited innovation they have brought (@Dino94), but, when relative to output versus innovation they fade away into the abyss.
Not a serious horological player, yet they never have claimed to be. To demonise a brand for a marketing triumph in a niche market seems silly - it is admirable at log 10.

Now back to more serious matters: what are we expecting from Basalworld?

MrUnderwood

Reaction score

Good topic, but also very speculative at this stage, hehe.

I must admit that Omega is the most anticipated for me. I sincerely hope that Omega finally put of some decent ones as the last couple of years has been one long drought with only a few good ones (Some Aqua Terras).

Article 26

Reaction score
Yes, know a few anticipating Omega releases. Personally, I’m hoping for a complete drought, I have two wishlist purchases coming up for auction in HK next month!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For Omega, the return of the waves on the James Bond Seamaster. Of course no Baselworld would be complete without another LE Speedmaster.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolex fans: What do you think is the next vintage or near vintage Rolex sports model to pop in the marketplace? My Rolex grail is the 1655 Explorer II, but that train left the station a long time ago. Ditto for the 1675 GMT. Even the 16750 transitional GMT is getting up there in price. I think the 16570 Explorer II polar with tritium dial still has room to grow (particularly as the hands and markers patina), but I am interested in your thoughts.

dan'l

Reaction score
Amazing, hope you get one!
For those who are searching for a FPJ CB, there's one in this auction as well

Interesting that the Souverain in PT has the same estimate as the CB, though arguably the more expensive watch. I really like the CB, but it’s tough to find one at an affordable (for me) price. I wonder what it will hammer for. I think the last one I saw at auction sold for well over 20k.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should do a group shot when you get a chance, FOIS is definitely one I would consider, so is speed tuesday, really like snoopy, though the price is in the range of "I would rather add the funds towards some AP"

Don't have them all together at the moment as I'm out of town, but I'll try and remember to get a shot.

FOIS is a good "bang per buck" piece if you ask me. They made quite a few of them (8000+ from what I've read), but I'm actually seeing prices starting to rise a bit. I actually was considering trading a few pieces for a Lange 1 or a few other pieces and one grey dealer offered me nearly what I paid. That said I was wearing it a bit more at that time and I knew if I did let it go I'd have to get one back at some point as I like it too much.

Snoopy is such a crazy piece. Part of me likes and thinks it's cool, other part of me doesn't love it. That said I just don't remember it being released. I mean I know it was 2015, but all I remember is the meteoric rise in prices. Crazy how they've gone up so fast. Speedmasters in general though are rising from what I'm seeing.

Wow, impressive write up! Congrats on the Speedy Tuesday. While the name doesn't do much for me, and even though I'm one of those people who finds the number of limited edition Speedmasters ridiculous...this is my favorite of their limited editions. Wear it in good health my friend! :cheers:

Thanks! Can't wait to get a strap on it and start wearing it rather than just holding it in my hand a couple of times a day. :embar:

Congrats on the Tuesday. I think Speedies are a watch I’ll own more than one of, whether I shell out for a 321 or add a FOIS, it’s a classic design and a watch with enough personal and historical significance to warrant it IMO. I think my biggest issue with the LE’s is the price jump with no change to the movement. I think if I fell in love with one though, that wouldn’t stop me. Congrats on the pick up.

Thank you. Yeah, like I said, easy to get sucked in by the right Speedies.

Good topic, but also very speculative at this stage, hehe.

I must admit that Omega is the most anticipated for me. I sincerely hope that Omega finally put of some decent ones as the last couple of years has been one long drought with only a few good ones (Some Aqua Terras).

I actually like the Aqua Terra with the horizontal detail on the dial and the lighter blue accents (second hand, quarter numeral markings). Problem for me is it's the 41mm size case and not the 38mm one.

Yes, know a few anticipating Omega releases. Personally, I’m hoping for a complete drought, I have two wishlist purchases coming up for auction in HK next month!

Haha, me too. I'm playing catch up with a few other pieces and anything new that I like could put that off.

Sounds like Omega will be doing an Ultraman Speedmaster reissue of some sort, but then they had an Apollo 8 Speedmaster listed on the site. I don't know if they're the same watch somehow. Anyway, somebody posted this on the Omega forums:

528119-01716a64d011c38e8290b706f1d8fca8.jpg

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not buying this, but curious to get thoughts on this one:

-White gold case
-Piaget movement
-Lacquered dial
-Breguet hands
-Alligator strap
-Swiss made
-MSRP of $15,000 plus

How much would you pay for it? Image of actual watch below:

s-l1600.jpg

pmeis

Reaction score
I'm not buying this, but curious to get thoughts on this one:

-White gold case
-Piaget movement
-Lacquered dial
-Breguet hands
-Alligator strap
-Swiss made
-MSRP of $15,000 plus

How much would you pay for it? Image of actual watch below:

s-l1600.jpg

I’ve seen these for like $3k, so certainly not more than that.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what always bothers me about Rolex. They truly have a good product (quite overpriced for what it is thou) but not more overpriced than other designer things. Yet they also attract people who know nothing about watches but only pays the money for the brand - the people who think Rolex is the "best of the world". It unfortunately makes me avoid the brand.

Its fine not to like the brand. No brand can be everything to everyone.

Rolex is a well known brand, but then again so are companies like Lexus and Ermenegildo Zegna. So when someone wants a good watch, car, or suit but they aren't really into watches, cars or suits, is there really anything wrong with people choosing a brand with a good reputation? Sure there are other companies that may be less expensive, just as competitive, or maybe one can even get a better product than Rolex, Lexus, or Zegna...but I can't fault a company because they now have a good reputation and are also chosen by people that aren't watch collectors. Also, I don't really get denying yourself of something that is a good product simply because people who aren't avid watch collectors buy Rolex? For the same money, one can buy something different, whether its better is debatable and may depend on a persons needs and taste.

I’m no Rolex champion for much the same reasons as you. I respect their success and the very limited innovation they have brought (@Dino94), but, when relative to output versus innovation they fade away into the abyss.
Not a serious horological player, yet they never have claimed to be. To demonise a brand for a marketing triumph in a niche market seems silly - it is admirable at log 10.

Not sure why this is directed at me? However, as you know Rolex has always been about evolution - gradually improving upon what they produce, and building large quantities of high quality watches that are reliable. If someone wants innovative, one can always find that...but I'm not sure one will find a truly innovative watch without spending far more than the cost of a steel DJ or Sub. Also, in the price range of say more main stream Rolex pieces, one can often purchase a watch that is different, but that doesn't mean it is better. Perhaps UN is more innovative as they do make the Freak and other pieces. I have a friend who bought one of their watches brand new from an AD, because "Everyone in their office had a Rolex." They wanted something different. So in the 1st year and a half of ownership the UN went back to UN's service center 3 times for various issues. That friend eventually said, maybe the UN was a mistake as none of their other Rolex wearing friends were spending months without their watches getting them repaired. That's not to say there isn't the occasional issue with a Rolex...but in the last 30 years or so of owning various pieces including 17 Rolex watches, I've only ever had an issue with one Rolex.

I own a few watches that were produced by brands that are considered makers of much finer watches than Rolex. Perhaps some of the brands may or may not be considered more innovative, but I don't think any of the actual models I own could be called truly innovative by today's standards. At best they are simply nice watches. Maybe I'm too old fashioned in that a lot of the most cutting edge pieces that get released each year just are not my taste. However, if you are into really innovative watches or brands that's great because manufactures need someone who buys those pieces to keep them on their toes. Cheers!

As for Basel...no real expectations. Its been a few years since there was anything released at Basel that made my "Must have list.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JordanDehoy