• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention - I have a very small wrist so prefer designs which are not too big - IWC is generally massive from what i've seen. I would prefer <38mm.

I would also prefer something with a bit more complications on the watch face

But still, i'm new to this so there will probably be watches/brands that i've missed...so all your comments/suggestions are really helpful :)

You will probably be able to purchase higher quality watch if you stick to a time only watch, rather than something with complications. However, if complications are your thing go for it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for a Nomos without any hesitation if I was looking for that type of watch at that price.

_img.jpg

They're a proper independent manufacture, their watchmaking credentials are as good as it gets, and their customer service reputation is excellent. If you like the look, I doubt you'd regret getting one; it's a no-excuses watch.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new toy: Longines Heritage 1973

I loved this watch since I first saw photos of it online a couple of years ago. There are a couple of ADs near me but neither ever had it available for me to try in person and I didn't want to put a deposit down to try and get it brought in. I also didn't really want to purchase it from a grey market dealer or another online shop without trying it on as I've been burned with cushion cases and watches with pretty straight lugs not fitting me comfortably in the past.

Fast forward a few months and a friend of mine actually bought one and I was finally able to try it on and I realized it fit a bit larger than I would have liked for the price but I still thought it was a gorgeous watch so I decided to keep an eye out on the secondary market for a good deal.

My friend ended up dealing his away in a trade about 18 months ago and then last week the person who acquired it posted a picture of it on Instagram and mentioned that he hadn't worn it in months and was thinking of putting it up for sale.... It's now happily on my wrist.

29197317_10102745062624676_355224938187063296_n.jpg

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for a Nomos without any hesitation if I was looking for that type of watch at that price.
They're a proper independent manufacture, their watchmaking credentials are as good as it gets, and their customer service reputation is excellent. If you like the look, I doubt you'd regret getting one; it's a no-excuses watch.
I'm wearing the better looking, earlier iteration of that watch today. Great watch. Could be an issue with the lug overhang with your wrist size, but that presents less of a problem than that "HYBRID" text. Wow. You won't do better for a dual time watch in that price range than the Nomos though. At least in my opinion.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
38mm Breitling Transocean maybe? Not sure what kind of complications OP is really wanting, but that watch looks pretty nice on the mesh bracelet, IMO. If a chronograph is of interest.

Along those lines, and also somewhere in this price range-- normally someone would have recommended a Speedmaster by now, but it's 42mm-- so maybe instead I could suggest the Speedy Reduced (?) I believe it's discontinued, but still widely available.

And Michigan Planner: I like that Longines. Congrats!

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incoming! Well again as with the last purchase, as of yesterday.

Before I jump into the watch, you may or my not recall that back in December I finally took delivery of my 60th Anniversary Speedmaster. Well right around the same time I also purchased a 40th Anniversary Speedmaster, the 2014 model with the titanium case, PVD dial and sedna gold accents. I loved the watch. It looked like a dressy Speedmaster. It really is an incredibly underrated watch and part of me regrets returning it. That said I knew I had a different watch in mind that I wanted to move on, and while I know that just about every watch becomes available now and again, I had to make a decision to an extent because the budget is what the budget is. Actually I could have had both, but I know that I have other watches in mind for the future. Oh, and I was really having a tough decision as to what strap I'd put on the watch. Love the NATO it comes with, but felt the watch maybe needed something a bit more.

So spring forward (no daylight savings pun intended) to the past few weeks and after I thought I'd missed out, I came across the watch I wanted. Specifically I came across the watch I wanted, in the condition I wanted and at the right price. So I made the purchase, on Tuesday, and took delivery yesterday.

image1 (15).JPG

So yes, the Speedy Tuesday. And yes, another Speedmaster.

For me there's a lot to love about this watch. I don't know that I've ever said this here, but when I first started considering higher end watches (at least higher end than my VSA quartz divers) I wasn't really bowled over by the Speedmaster. Dare I say I didn't like it? Can't quite remember. Well fast forward a bit and now I love it. Clearly. If you know me (or at least my posts on purchases in the past) you're probably thinking "another Speedmaster?" Well this one for me represented something different. More on that a bit later. As for this particular reference, I simply loved the design. As I always say, I'm very aesthetically driven and I love the look of the Speedy Tuesday. Before I get into why, I think it's important to note that despite now having three Speedmasters I still do not have a Speedy Pro. So with the Speedy Tuesday I got some of the look of the Speedy Pro that my other two Speedmasters don't have including the case design. That said what really sold me on the watch was the reverse panda dial and the sub registers themselves. I really love that it's a radial dial and the way the numerals are spaced. I also love the reverse panda aspect too as I noted. However you're not done there as the sub registers have a great font used for the numerals and I just love the depth and texture of the sub dials. Sticking with the dial you've got the applied logo as well, but then I'm somewhat accustomed to that with the First Omega in Space. The second design element that I like about this watch is that the case and the hand set are all brushed. It's funny too because it doesn't look too brushed. For me though I like it because it differentiates it further from my other Speedmasters and the case and the hand set work well together. That leaves me with the case back. Nothing too out of the ordinary here, but I like how it says "RADIAL" and the way they engraved that in terms of positioning on the case back. I also like that it has a combination of referencing "Speedy Tuesday" the event if you will while at the same time the Alaska III Project which was the watches inspiration.

A few other things to note about the watch. The name "Speedy Tuesday" is something I'm pretty indifferent about. I actually think the phenomenon of Speedy Tuesday is pretty cool (though I have yet to ever think "it's Tuesday, have to wear a Speedy"). For me it doesn't hinder or enhance my appreciation of the watch. Nor does the fact that it was a collaboration. I think the watch was very well done and is so much better than the vast majority of other limited edition Speedmasters. I also don't think Omega or Fratello Watches will milk the idea with new "Speedy Tuesday" edition every year. Perhaps in five year intervals. Either way for me if the watch is worth wearing based on merit and not the name, how limited it is or whatever else, then I say so be it. That's actually my take on limited edition Speedmasters as a whole. If they're good, great. If they're not, then they're not. I don't care if Omega makes a limited edition every year so long as they make a nice watch.

The watch does come with some "extras" if you will. The leather watch case/roll, the black and white NATO strap, a cleaning cloth and strap changing tool. While all nice ideas, I think the execution could have been better. The case/roll is made of leather, but in my opinion it's a rubbery feeling leather and they could have done much better here. The cleaning cloth is what it is. The strap changing tool feels a bit cheap. The NATO is nice though, or at least nice looking since I haven't taken it out. All of that is housed in a somewhat cheap cardboard box. None of that is a big deal for me as I bought the watch to wear and it will just go in my watch box, but they missed a real opportunity to make a nicer watch case/roll with much nicer leather. Along those lines, I will also say that I have yet to wear the watch and will not do so until I change the strap. I have a few ideas on the strap I'll go with (more down to color) and the style will be similar aesthetically to the one that comes with the watch. (I just want to note here how many of these I've seen on the Snoopy strap or on a bracelet and how much it kills the look of the watch for me). However the OEM strap doesn't feel or look very nice. Second time I'm saying this about an Omega I've purchased.

I'll end this verbose mess with my thoughts on owning a few Speedmasters now and the Speedy in general. I like that despite having three Speedmasters I have some variety within my little group.

• First Omega in Space: 39.7mm, all black dial, different hand set, asymmetrical sub register hands, no crown guards, straight lugs, polished and brushed
  • 60th Anniversary Speedmaster: 38.6mm, more of a tropical/faded black dial, broad arrow hand set, metal colored bezel, straight lug, no crown guards, faux patina, polished and brushed
  • Speed Tuesday: 42mm, panda dial, radial sub registers, different hand set, crown guard, just brushed

So plenty of variety there. And that's what I like about the Speedmaster. You can get one and have a great watch, or you can multiples and have some great watches that give you different looks. If I were to give someone the option of taking any one of them off my hands for free, the last one they'd take would probably be the First Omega in Space. Still for me it's really no less a watch as it looks fantastic every time I wear it. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the Speedy is the best watch ever. In fact in my own collection if I had to choose I take my Geophysic or Reverso over them. Still they're great watches and I understand why the're so popular.

One last photo. You'll have to pardon the shots from my iPhone an they don't do the watch justice, but there are plenty of great photos out there online.

image2 (15).JPG

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
38mm Breitling Transocean maybe? Not sure what kind of complications OP is really wanting, but that watch looks pretty nice on the mesh bracelet, IMO. If a chronograph is of interest.

Along those lines, and also somewhere in this price range-- normally someone would have recommended a Speedmaster by now, but it's 42mm-- so maybe instead I could suggest the Speedy Reduced (?) I believe it's discontinued, but still widely available.

And Michigan Planner: I like that Longines. Congrats!
The guy said no Rolex and no Omega.

Kierrane

Reaction score
Thanx for all the feedback guys! I was actually really close to getting the Frederique Constant Manufacture Worldtimer/Hybrid (if they din't slap that HYBRID on the face I would probably have gotten it), but after hearing all the comments, i'm probably going to save up for a Zenith instead

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Incoming! Well again as with the last purchase, as of yesterday.

Before I jump into the watch, you may or my not recall that back in December I finally took delivery of my 60th Anniversary Speedmaster. Well right around the same time I also purchased a 40th Anniversary Speedmaster, the 2014 model with the titanium case, PVD dial and sedna gold accents. I loved the watch. It looked like a dressy Speedmaster. It really is an incredibly underrated watch and part of me regrets returning it. That said I knew I had a different watch in mind that I wanted to move on, and while I know that just about every watch becomes available now and again, I had to make a decision to an extent because the budget is what the budget is. Actually I could have had both, but I know that I have other watches in mind for the future. Oh, and I was really having a tough decision as to what strap I'd put on the watch. Love the NATO it comes with, but felt the watch maybe needed something a bit more.

So spring forward (no daylight savings pun intended) to the past few weeks and after I thought I'd missed out, I came across the watch I wanted. Specifically I came across the watch I wanted, in the condition I wanted and at the right price. So I made the purchase, on Tuesday, and took delivery yesterday.

View attachment 942238

So yes, the Speedy Tuesday. And yes, another Speedmaster.

For me there's a lot to love about this watch. I don't know that I've ever said this here, but when I first started considering higher end watches (at least higher end than my VSA quartz divers) I wasn't really bowled over by the Speedmaster. Dare I say I didn't like it? Can't quite remember. Well fast forward a bit and now I love it. Clearly. If you know me (or at least my posts on purchases in the past) you're probably thinking "another Speedmaster?" Well this one for me represented something different. More on that a bit later. As for this particular reference, I simply loved the design. As I always say, I'm very aesthetically driven and I love the look of the Speedy Tuesday. Before I get into why, I think it's important to note that despite now having three Speedmasters I still do not have a Speedy Pro. So with the Speedy Tuesday I got some of the look of the Speedy Pro that my other two Speedmasters don't have including the case design. That said what really sold me on the watch was the reverse panda dial and the sub registers themselves. I really love that it's a radial dial and the way the numerals are spaced. I also love the reverse panda aspect too as I noted. However you're not done there as the sub registers have a great font used for the numerals and I just love the depth and texture of the sub dials. Sticking with the dial you've got the applied logo as well, but then I'm somewhat accustomed to that with the First Omega in Space. The second design element that I like about this watch is that the case and the hand set are all brushed. It's funny too because it doesn't look too brushed. For me though I like it because it differentiates it further from my other Speedmasters and the case and the hand set work well together. That leaves me with the case back. Nothing too out of the ordinary here, but I like how it says "RADIAL" and the way they engraved that in terms of positioning on the case back. I also like that it has a combination of referencing "Speedy Tuesday" the event if you will while at the same time the Alaska III Project which was the watches inspiration.

A few other things to note about the watch. The name "Speedy Tuesday" is something I'm pretty indifferent about. I actually think the phenomenon of Speedy Tuesday is pretty cool (though I have yet to ever think "it's Tuesday, have to wear a Speedy"). For me it doesn't hinder or enhance my appreciation of the watch. Nor does the fact that it was a collaboration. I think the watch was very well done and is so much better than the vast majority of other limited edition Speedmasters. I also don't think Omega or Fratello Watches will milk the idea with new "Speedy Tuesday" edition every year. Perhaps in five year intervals. Either way for me if the watch is worth wearing based on merit and not the name, how limited it is or whatever else, then I say so be it. That's actually my take on limited edition Speedmasters as a whole. If they're good, great. If they're not, then they're not. I don't care if Omega makes a limited edition every year so long as they make a nice watch.

The watch does come with some "extras" if you will. The leather watch case/roll, the black and white NATO strap, a cleaning cloth and strap changing tool. While all nice ideas, I think the execution could have been better. The case/roll is made of leather, but in my opinion it's a rubbery feeling leather and they could have done much better here. The cleaning cloth is what it is. The strap changing tool feels a bit cheap. The NATO is nice though, or at least nice looking since I haven't taken it out. All of that is housed in a somewhat cheap cardboard box. None of that is a big deal for me as I bought the watch to wear and it will just go in my watch box, but they missed a real opportunity to make a nicer watch case/roll with much nicer leather. Along those lines, I will also say that I have yet to wear the watch and will not do so until I change the strap. I have a few ideas on the strap I'll go with (more down to color) and the style will be similar aesthetically to the one that comes with the watch. (I just want to note here how many of these I've seen on the Snoopy strap or on a bracelet and how much it kills the look of the watch for me). However the OEM strap doesn't feel or look very nice. Second time I'm saying this about an Omega I've purchased.

I'll end this verbose mess with my thoughts on owning a few Speedmasters now and the Speedy in general. I like that despite having three Speedmasters I have some variety within my little group.

• First Omega in Space: 39.7mm, all black dial, different hand set, asymmetrical sub register hands, no crown guards, straight lugs, polished and brushed
  • 60th Anniversary Speedmaster: 38.6mm, more of a tropical/faded black dial, broad arrow hand set, metal colored bezel, straight lug, no crown guards, faux patina, polished and brushed
  • Speed Tuesday: 42mm, panda dial, radial sub registers, different hand set, crown guard, just brushed

So plenty of variety there. And that's what I like about the Speedmaster. You can get one and have a great watch, or you can multiples and have some great watches that give you different looks. If I were to give someone the option of taking any one of them off my hands for free, the last one they'd take would probably be the First Omega in Space. Still for me it's really no less a watch as it looks fantastic every time I wear it. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the Speedy is the best watch ever. In fact in my own collection if I had to choose I take my Geophysic or Reverso over them. Still they're great watches and I understand why the're so popular.

One last photo. You'll have to pardon the shots from my iPhone an they don't do the watch justice, but there are plenty of great photos out there online.

View attachment 942274

you should do a group shot when you get a chance, FOIS is definitely one I would consider, so is speed tuesday, really like snoopy, though the price is in the range of "I would rather add the funds towards some AP"

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanx for all the feedback guys! I was actually really close to getting the Frederique Constant Manufacture Worldtimer/Hybrid (if they din't slap that HYBRID on the face I would probably have gotten it), but after hearing all the comments, i'm probably going to save up for a Zenith instead
Bit late to the game, but, why not consider a Seiko? It is a controversial brand on this thread, especially for the Americans, but the GS hi-beat (36k bph like the Zenith EP) are beautifully classic yet in a unique design language, the brand is a proper manufacture with a great history of technical achievement (such as being responsible for the end of the Swiss Chronometer Trials), and you can get a feel for all this in person at Wisma Atria next time you're in SG. They have, if I recall well, one GS per decade, so you can see the evolution - the 1950s/60s is my sweet spot - but also some representation of the other things that they are famous for such as urushi or enamel dials. I can't remember if they have any Credors though (the Eichi II is on my to-buy if/when I sell my company).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads