• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
For your first Daytona (stainless steel), would you go for the white face or black face? I will most likely use it as daily wear, office environment, semi formal. Thanks for your input.

(unfortunately, I won't have the opportunity to try either in person)

If you don't have a clear preference yourself, I think the answer is whichever one you can get the quickest while spending the smallest premium.

NewStart

Reaction score
If you don't have a clear preference yourself, I think the answer is whichever one you can get the quickest while spending the smallest premium.

To be completely honest, I am leaning a bit toward the white one, most likely because i see people posting the white daytona very often here and start loving it (the white one is also slightly cheaper than the back one but it is not so much of a defining factor).

Tried on a platinum (ice blue face) before, and absolutely love, but it is a bit too flashy for office IMO and way out of my budget at the moment.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I am leaning a bit toward the white one, most likely because i see people posting the white daytona very often here and start loving it (the white one is also slightly cheaper than the back one but it is not so much of a defining factor).

Tried on a platinum (ice blue face) before, and absolutely love, but it is a bit too flashy for office IMO and way out of my budget at the moment.

I don't think the dial color matters that much. Buy what you like. Years certain dial colors were more preferred and there was a premium for black dial models in Japan and some parts of Asia, not sure it exists today, although if someone has one of the so called black Patrizzi dials then there is a big premium for those regardless of the market. In the past I have owned both black and white dial Daytonas and with the exception of the old manual wind Daytonas, I prefer the black dial. I think it can be dressed up a bit more easily...although with the ceramic bezels I don't think they look as dressy as their previous steel bezel models. Today some people like the white dial as it reminds them of the old manual wind "Panda Dial" Daytona's that had a black insert for the bezel and black subdials. In the end buy what you like, as you are the one who will be living with it.

As for the platinum version being too flashy, other than the dial color the steel models looks pretty close to the average observer...so I'm not sure a steel one will escape that criticism at your office. Personally, I think Daytonas only become flashy when they are in yellow or rose gold...but that has never bothered me. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
35217056733_341734a9e4_c.jpg

the new Daytona in its natural habit ... the office
I say white dial but I am biased

You say the white dial is cheaper? ... are you looking at the new ceramic bezel one? Because the white dial is typically an extra $1000 more than the black dial for the new Daytona
Maybe it's different for the previous model

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say the white dial is cheaper? ... are you looking at the new ceramic bezel one? Because the white dial is typically an extra $1000 more than the black dial for the new Daytona
Maybe it's different for the previous model
This.

SS white ceramic dial on the grey market commands a premium over SS black ceramic which both command a premium over two tone. The Rolex boutique in the Houston Galleria said expected waitlist for black dial was 1-2 years while white dial was 5+.

NewStart

Reaction score
Thanks all for your thoughts. Give me a lot to consider.

dino: yes i meant the ice blue dial colour, very beautiful indeed but i can’t imagine wearing this to office daily

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with recent discussion, but HQ Milton has a Nautilus (5711/1A-010) ... listed for over $45K. When did $hit start getting so out of hand for pieces like that?

I mean, it's a great watch, and has been on my dream list for years....but wow. Still just a stainless steel, three-hander. No complications other than date.

Damn.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Takuya has a BNIB blue 5711 for a nice price of $52k. If I had a BNIB 5711 bought at retail I'd flip at that price. You're almost in 5990 retail price at $52k.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Insane.

And let me repeat: I love the watch, and hey God bless market forces, and things are worth whatever people want to pay for them, etc, etc. But it's getting a little bit nutty out there.

Or maybe the word is bubbly?

/mini-rant

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I waited only 3 months for mine a couple of years ago, and a white 5711 came in only 2 months, with both blue 5711 and 5712 following. My dealer told me they were expecting them and I placed a deposit. I also got a very small discount in the end when I decided on the 5712.

I think the over hype from those 2nd hand dealers is that they spruike up the long waiting times.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insane.

And let me repeat: I love the watch, and hey God bless market forces, and things are worth whatever people want to pay for them, etc, etc. But it's getting a little bit nutty out there.

Or maybe the word is bubbly?

/mini-rant

The 5711 is a great watch, but I'd never pay that kind of money for it. I've been on several waiting lists over the years. Yes, sure I could have a hard to get watch sooner if I had just paid over list price...but I would feel like a complete sucker if I did that. One time after waiting on a list for 2 years I found a dealer that had the watch I wanted but at a roughly 60% mark up over MSRP. I was quite tempted but passed on it. I got the call 3 months later that my watch had arrived and I purchased it at MSRP. Needless to say I was glad I held out and didn't pay over list price.

If someone wants to pay an incredible mark up to have what they want today, so be it, but I work too hard to throw money away like that. Besides each time I don't buy a hard to get watch for more than MSRP, I just think of how that money can go into another watch :cheers:

Article 26

Reaction score
Would I pay 50% over Retail for a Nautilus, no. I was hesitant even pulling the trigger for my Nautilus - I was convinced I was a RO person all the way. That said, the Nautilus receives more outings than both my RO’s combined. It is just a dream to wear and has great presence. So much so i’d Like a birth year 2 hander.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wanted a 5711 but could never afford it until recently (before the 20% markup). Now that I can afford to get one at MSRP they're nowhere to be found. Part of the reason why I went with an RO. I'd still like to get a white dial 5711 one day but I know that's going to be years away while I wait for another recession and Patek/AD's start getting desperate to move watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads