• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Switching gear to Cartier tank solo small, is chrononext a good place to buy for grey? It's a Quartz can't think why I would not skip the 20 off vs botique (for wife), how often does quartz needs to be serviced? I assume it's just battery change every 3 yr? Other than movement goes out or case polishing (and check water seal?), how often does Quartz really needs to be serviced? Since it's for wife wants to be as hassle free as possible

Not often, but when you do, be ready for some hefty charges.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Battery change of a Cartier should be simple; but because its Cartier you will definitely over pay if you go official channels.

If you have a trusted local watchmaker then i would be surprised if the price would be overly excessive. In this case i would buy grey market.

Last edited:

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
The cost of a quartz service can exceed the cost for a complicated chronograph. From my experience helping a friend get her watch serviced.

My experiences are the complete opposite, but i have always used the same watchmaker and not official channels. I paid in the region of $40-50 to get a battery changed in a Bond Omega seamaster a few years back.

In my experiences would a quote for an overhaul of a complicated watch be significantly higher - not even mentioning if its damaged and some serious effort is required.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experiences are the complete opposite, but i have always used the same watchmaker and not official channels. I paid in the region of $40-50 to get a battery changed in a Bond Omega seamaster a few years back.

In my experiences would a quote for an overhaul of a complicated watch be significantly higher - not even mentioning if its damaged and some serious effort is required.

A battery change is different from a full service.... Very few watchmaker these days in the UK touch or even know how to do a quartz full service. Most are focused on mechanical movements. So when you find someone who is experienced in quartz servicing, the costs are much higher than what you'd expect.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@cchen the full "check-up" was included in the price of $40-50, he noticed in this case that a battery change was required and hence it was a result of the complete check-up. The material price of the battery should be added to the $40-50, i do not recall how much it was exactly.

This is my last comment in this regard as i do not like your debate style. You seem overly unnecessarily arrogant.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MrUnderwood
Again, you don't seem to grasp the concept. There's a big difference between a battery change and full service. So I don't know why you keep comparing the two. Esp considering that I dealt watches for a living for a bit and still trade quite a bit on vintage on the side....

He asked for information on how often quartz needs to be serviced. You keep talking about battery replacements :fonz:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
all right guys, thanks for the info., I thought battery change
at random shop A: $10 (like that random mom/pop shop next to CVS)
at more reputable shop: $30~$40 (something on diamond district, though that can be equally dodgy I suppose...)?
at Cartier: $60+?

And full service (I would never go to anyone other than Cartier in that case), is like what? And when you say when quartz "needs" to be serviced do you really mean movement is bad and needs to be replaced? Otherwise I would have thought quartze servicing should still be cheaper (like guestimate in my head is <1k for mechanical watch, <$500 for quartz)

p.s. I'm no where near servicing my JLC, so no idea what cost would really be servicing my...

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Cartier's UK site -

Complete Service from 340 GBP
Battery Service from 41 GBP

Quartz watches need to be serviced like mechanical watches, albeit with less frequency. Dust and dirt can get into the movements and electrical components can fail. Most of the high-end quartz watches use Piguet movements, for which aftermarket parts are only available through AD's.

Servicing isn't THAT expensive.... here's the price list from a UK independent watchmaker:

http://watchguy.co.uk/price-list/

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
I have cchen on ignore so if you're question has already been answered by him, then great.

Overall it depends whether you believe in "full-service" every "X" year by a reputable dealer (if official channels = higher price), or whether you only go if something is not working properly.

I believe in having regular service intervals ONLY if you have a trust worthy local watchmaker that charge "reasonable" quotes. I do not believe in paying official "Cartier" prices having a "full-service" every X year.

I have a trusted watchmaker that chaged me around $50 for giving my Omega a full-check-up and hence noticed if something was wrong; and in this case it was a battery change that was required - it was done and the watch worked smoothly afterwards. If e.g. lubricant was required then he would have done that.

I think a trusted local watchmaker is just as good as the official and if the place is decent you will not get completely overcharged - it really depends on preference as some like to pay Cartier "complete-service" prices for the peace of mind.

Just like any other place i have been too the final quote will depend on the amount of work required and neccessary materials to fix it. If you know right away that the problem with the watch is the battery and you just ask for a battery change then the price will be lower.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I can stop being lazy, form US website..
Complete Service From $385 USD
Battery Service From $46 USD

sounds ok to me, though can someone tell me how often quartz really needs "complete" service. I don't care for the service every X year thing, but I do want to know when it is reasonable to do complete service (excluding the simple water tightness/battery change/if I want case polished thing). 10yr for quartz?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards the racing bracelet. I think the end links are better integrated than the 1125.

Definitely share some pictures when you put it on. If I'm going to get a speedy it will definitely be FOIS at certain point, though I hope they officially release a bracelet at certain point, then I'll do the usual "buy bracelet, swap to leather strap myself" business later...

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone go to the Wind Up watch fair at Chelsea Market?

Yeah I walked down earlier.. had a good chat to the stowa guys and the monta team but nothing earth shattering. The independent watch winders (can’t remember maker) looked kinda cool for a decent price but not worth traveling for. I was there for Very Fresh Noodles more than the watches

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads