• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Le Mans Daytona is the one I’d love to own from 2023. Other than that, nothing new struck me as needing to buy.

IMG_0181.jpeg

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reflected the other day as one of the guys at dinner was excited about his new Calatrava. Unkempt beard+streetwear tech investment gym bro, as far from the ad copy as you can get. Classic gold Calatrava, the size and shape of a coin (was it the 6119? I don't think so, looked too small for 39mm, but it could have been, he is quite a large guy). Has the Patek market changed? Are the former customers of the Nautilus heading towards the rest of the portfolio? Will we see the same with Rolex shifting from SS models to things like the 1908? If this wasn't a one-off, I'm excited about the likely evolution from the main brands :D

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest interesting piece for me this year was the Tag glassbox for sure.

Seiko Prospex GMT was also a nice release this year that I got one.

I’m all tapped out this year so maybe 2024 will be a better one!

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
I liked it (1986 is more than yesteryear). There's a place for this kind of stuff, and having visual/artistic complexity as well as technical is more interesting there than "stuff everything into a large box" which wins prizes:

View attachment 2083731

(and let's not look at the side view)

This, on the other hand, will not destroy your cuff, whilst immediately drawing some respect for what has been achieved from the sheer physics of it:

3d249d670a8169c0274cfc298e6d27c1_large.jpg

Nov-Wrist-Watch-FEATURED.jpg
I consider the Ra automatic tourbillon from AP to be the most significant watch of the last 100 years, without trying it changed EVERYTHING in the watch world.

Full disclosure; the Ra and I have history - I have spent several days with the guy who built them, working on his biography and I have been trying to buy a white metal one for over a decade.

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
I feel like Seiko should be doing this kind of thing instead of slapping increasingly involved dials on movements that used to power Seiko 5s with a veneer of Japanese heritage fantasy barely concealing the thirst for international mid-market revenue.
I get the same feeling when a press release about a new dial inspired by some facet of Japanese regional nature drops into my inbox as I did when Hublot announced ambassadors and limited edition models with a similar frequency.

I don’t know what bores me more, another beach/sunset/waves/leaves inspired dial on the same Grand Seiko or a limited edition Hublot inspired by the youngest blind skateboard champion of Uraguay.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure; the Ra and I have history - I have spent several days with the guy who built them, working on his biography and I have been trying to buy a white metal one for over a decade.
Offer to sign a copy of his biography in exchange for the watch.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the same feeling when a press release about a new dial inspired by some facet of Japanese regional nature drops into my inbox as I did when Hublot announced ambassadors and limited edition models with a similar frequency.

I don’t know what bores me more, another beach/sunset/waves/leaves inspired dial on the same Grand Seiko or a limited edition Hublot inspired by the youngest blind skateboard champion of Uraguay.
Next new GS dial will be inspired by the pristine gl0ryh0le in their HQ bathrooms.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reflected the other day as one of the guys at dinner was excited about his new Calatrava. Unkempt beard+streetwear tech investment gym bro, as far from the ad copy as you can get. Classic gold Calatrava, the size and shape of a coin (was it the 6119? I don't think so, looked too small for 39mm, but it could have been, he is quite a large guy). Has the Patek market changed? Are the former customers of the Nautilus heading towards the rest of the portfolio? Will we see the same with Rolex shifting from SS models to things like the 1908? If this wasn't a one-off, I'm excited about the likely evolution from the main brands :D
But perhaps it’s more depressing. Why are they heading to the rest of the portfolio? For example, maybe beardy tech bros are just satisfying their appetite for owning the brand (however they can manage), rather than shifting their aesthetics (ss sports -> elegant dress). Maybe I’m wrong.

In any case, I’m not looking forward to seeing some little tech brat wearing a bespoke cowboy shirt, trainers and a tank normale.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't care what others do in other "segments of the market". Happy for them if they find joy in "brand ambassadors" and 50mm x 20mm skeletonized diamond incrusted roulette wheels (AND I like what MB&F does, genuinely, qua modern art). I just wish there was still some kind of offering for those of us who like the playing with physics part.

There's many ways to destroy long term value in favour of the short. Borrow a lot, sell off assets and book some of it as profits, offshore/outsource most of your value proposition, fire expensive and hard to replace talent. But I think one of the most egregious is the destruction of long term brand momentum to surf a temporary hype. In banking you had Royal Bank of Scotland who were late to the MBS game and picked up the worst products, just in time for 2008. A short walk away, there's a cafe that still has QR codes on their door so you can pay in Bitcoin or Ethereum (of course they now refuse such payment methods, but it was all the rage in 2021). And for a watch company, it is the brand ambassador, the colorful dial, the addition of pointless complications in a thoughtless manner, whilst making cases bigger and fatter.

Look at something like this: https://seagull1963.com/product/swan-neck-regulator-seagull-1963-40mm-white-black-panda-sapphire/

400 euros and you get a chronograph movement, admittedly undecorated and pretty rough, but working and with 2 years warranty, in a classic panda dial configuration. 38mm x 13mm. For $9k you can get a Grand Seiko SBGC249 in 45.3mm × 15.8mm. Less wearable, blingier, possibly less reliable, but you get to look at polished parts. Or do you? Cos zaratsu finishing is no longer the default for GS, not since the international market expansion. But there is nothing in the market with the proportions of the AP 5548 or its Royal Oak descendants like the titanium RO PC from Feb 2023. I'd argue there's little inspiration or skill left in producing the GS chronos - but plenty of marketing budget for Monochrome, SJX, Hodinkee and their ilk.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider the Ra automatic tourbillon from AP to be the most significant watch of the last 100 years, without trying it changed EVERYTHING in the watch world.

More significant than the Oyster Perpetual case?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhargav1505