• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I could help! I saw the rugby shirts some time back and liked them, then, I recently read the description and saw that they were made in Portland, OR. I knew that could only be Columbiaknit, so I looked, and found the exact models for sale on their site.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say - if that is, indeed, the same shirt (i.e., not woven from a different quality cotton?), that is an unconscionable markup.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm glad I could help! I saw the rugby shirts some time back and liked them, then, I recently read the description and saw that they were made in Portland, OR. I knew that could only be Columbiaknit, so I looked, and found the exact models for sale on their site.

Also, the product code on the Drake's website has the initials 'CK'.

GheeButtersnaps

Reaction score
Mark Cho is a SF member. Maybe he will make an appearance on this thread to explain how the items may be different or otherwise explain the value you are getting by paying the higher price for the Drake’s branded products.

I agree- I respect and admire a lot of Mark Cho's projects (The Armoury, Drop 93, Drakes, etc.), but I feel like a lot of the items sold in his stores have high mark-ups.

It seems like Mark and his team heavily collaborate with their makers to come up with unique offerings. For example, I think a number of styles and cuts for the Armoury from makers like Ring Jacket and Rota are exclusive.

However, when the Rota models are priced ~50% higher at the Armoury versus NMWA (495 v. 350), I'm confused. Then again, I'm not very knowledgable in this field as far as pricing items and the monetary value of collaboration and design goes, so I could easily be off-base. Plus, if people are purchasing these items at retail, then clearly it's working.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$445?

On Drakes UK site they're £215 vs the £109 that END charges. It's an obscene mark-up but $445 is £350 - Crockett and Jones money.

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 7.28.11 PM.png

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I was a little thrown by the gpb to usd conversion.

The external difference as far as I can tell is the heel stitching and the lack of that extra piece of leather on the heel of the Drake's version. It probably make it slightly better for using with trousers and sport coat, but whatever, its still very casual. And I asked Huckberry more about the stone color. He said it was more grayish than brownish. Maybe someone who orders that can confirm (compare the Huckberry pic to the End pic). So probably the Drake's colors are a little different. None of that is convincing me to buy the Drake's version though, especially for $445 usd.

edit: I got the stone color here: https://us.stuartslondon.com/astorflex-m319

Seems cheaper than End, free fedex to US. Color seemed to actually be brown as opposed to the gray color. We shall see.

There are also Clark's Made-In-Italy version: https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Desert-Boot/p/26131791

Same heel as the Drakes version, but with the light sole that is sure to show all kinds of dirt. Here is a recent article discussing the quality of the materials of the Clark's Made-In-Italy version: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/is-it-worth-it-clarks-boots/

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree- I respect and admire a lot of Mark Cho's projects (The Armoury, Drop 93, Drakes, etc.), but I feel like a lot of the items sold in his stores have high mark-ups.

It seems like Mark and his team heavily collaborate with their makers to come up with unique offerings. For example, I think a number of styles and cuts for the Armoury from makers like Ring Jacket and Rota are exclusive.

However, when the Rota models are priced ~50% higher at the Armoury versus NMWA (495 v. 350), I'm confused. Then again, I'm not very knowledgable in this field as far as pricing items and the monetary value of collaboration and design goes, so I could easily be off-base. Plus, if people are purchasing these items at retail, then clearly it's working.
I think it's worth remembering that anyone coming on this forum is already showing a much above average interest in the product. Most people want the curation done by a professional and the mark-ups are a means of charging for it (since "style assistants" have a bad rep). If you are in the envious position that everything in your store is in good taste, or however you want to word it, you can rack up prices quite some way. A lot of people will pay not to spend the time thinking about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads