• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trg12

Reaction score
How breatheable are Drake's suede jackets?

Maybe this is a question about suede jackets in general and Drake's in particular. I'm currently travelling in Italy and thinking it would make a great travel jacket for this transitional weather. But I tend to run hot, specially when walking, so I always favor breathable, more open weave cloths to keep me from getting sweaty, even when layering in fall and winter (knits, wool jackets, etc).

I've never had a suede jacket so IDK how it wears. Thoughts?
I only have their unlined overshirt (the one in the current lookbook). It’s not a warm weather (or warmer transitional weather) piece for me. The suede is comparatively heavy and rubs off its reddish color when it gets wet in the arm pits. Also it has a comparatively ‘wet’ feel on the inside (particularly when compared to the Valstar unlined suedes which have a very “dry” feeling — and are much thinner too).

I started wearing it the last weeks in Northern European transitional weather fwiw

letsgofire

Reaction score
I only have their unlined overshirt (the one in the current lookbook). It’s not a warm weather (or warmer transitional weather) piece for me. The suede is comparatively heavy and rubs off its reddish color when it gets wet in the arm pits. Also it has a comparatively ‘wet’ feel on the inside (particularly when compared to the Valstar unlined suedes which have a very “dry” feeling — and are much thinner too).

I started wearing it the last weeks in Northern European transitional weather fwiw

I have the suede chore coat and have worn it as a travel jacket. I think is a good choice for weather in the 50F to 65F range. You can probably go beyond that range with additional layering or wearing it open.

The material feels comparatively heavy, as said above. This is a feature not a drawback.

Aside from not wearing it during rainy weather, I think it’s a great choice.

Others have said to spray weather proofing on the inside of the suede chore coats to stop the color transfer. I have done this and that method worked well.

htinlinn

Reaction score
Has anyone tried on the raglan Mac coat? Wondering about its practicability with the wool lining and if it's abrasive against woolen sports coats or knitwear and causes unnecessary pilling. Never mind that it is reversible.

https://us.drakes.com/products/beige-reversible-harris-tweed-cotton-raglan-mac
I tried it on the other way with just a t-shirt on. It feels pretty scratchy as you could expect from having Harris Tweed as the inside lining of a coat. I would expect probable pilling with knitwear.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I tried it on the other way with just a t-shirt on. It feels pretty scratchy as you could expect from having Harris Tweed as the inside lining of a coat. I would expect probable pilling with knitwear.
Hmm I’ve worn it with just a t-shirt and have not had the feeling myself. YMMV I guess. I agree with the rest of the comments, heavy not not overboard and somewhat “wet” feeling. I have not tired it under knitwear but might just to see if it really pills

CaptainApathy

Reaction score
The Cotton Quarter Zip Sweatshirt - TTS? I'm a 42 so should I get a large? I am always skeptical of Drakes measurement charts
I'm normally a 40/M and the medium was tight on me, no way I could layer anything other than a t-shirt under it. Even before trying it was advised to go with a large, but unfortunately Canal St. was out of stock in the color I wanted.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm normally a 40/M and the medium was tight on me, no way I could layer anything other than a t-shirt under it. Even before trying it was advised to go with a large, but unfortunately Canal St. was out of stock in the color I wanted.

I’m a size 42 and went with XL. Never tried the L but I prefer my sweaters to be a little on the looser side..
Thanks. I typically wear a 42 but I'm an L in most brands, so I wasn't sure. Maybe a 42 is equivalent to XL in Drakes sizing

The B.

Reaction score
What kind of shoes (loafers, chukkas, etc.) do you guys wear in the winter?
I’m thinking about something non suede, that we can wear in a rainy day, with a games suit or trousers and/or jeans.

Last edited:

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of shoes (loafers, chukkas, etc.) do you guys wear in the winter?
I’m thinking about something non suede, that we can wear in a rainy day, with a games suit or trousers and/or jeans.
i obsessed over this for a while.

Alden Indys in cordovan and commando sole. Works in rain or snow. Never have to worry about cordovan plus water or snow, and easy enough to clean off salt (easier than suede). The high top is high enough to keep out the weather unlike loafers or chukkas. Commando is better sole than Dainite or leather for bad weather. And the Indys in cordovan are just classy enough to wear with the kind of stuff you're describing.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy-Bold