• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinpledger

Reaction score
Whoever nabs or nabbed one of these this at this price has gotten an absolute bargain! I so wish that they had a M or a L!

Retri

Reaction score
OrSlow is the best RTW denim for tailoring by far. The back/front rise are massive and they're about the only company that makes high-waisted, high-quality washed selvedge denim that don't look messy (1 wash and 2 yrs wash particularly). RRL and Studio D'artisan are hideous in comparison.

Got 3 pairs a couple of years back and they're still going strong despite having used them almost on daily basis.

nachobarro

Reaction score
OrSlow is the best RTW denim for tailoring by far. The back/front rise are massive and they're about the only company that makes high-waisted, high-quality washed selvedge denim that don't look messy (1 wash and 2 yrs wash particularly). RRL and Studio D'artisan are hideous in comparison.

Got 3 pairs a couple of years back and they're still going strong despite having used them almost on daily basis.
Too bad that they don’t offer various inseam lengths because I need 29-30” inseam length and I don’t want to hem already pre-faded jeans.

Retri

Reaction score
Too bad that they don’t offer various inseam lengths because I need 29-30” inseam length and I don’t want to hem already pre-faded jeans.

all my denim jeans are hemmed. Any competent tailor can keep the original hem. Nobody would be able to tell the difference.

Also, they drape just fine.

nachobarro

Reaction score
all my denim jeans are hemmed. Any competent tailor can keep the original hem and they drape just fine. Nobody would be able to tell the difference.
Keeping the original hem adds extra weight and bulk in the hem making the jeans drape worse and they look funny if you cuff them.

I would really love to see the work of your tailor, maybe I just need to find a new one :)

Retri

Reaction score
Keeping the original hem adds extra weight and bulk in the hem making the jeans drape worse and they look funny if you cuff them.

Is this draping in the room with us right now?

Jokes aside, I beg to differ or perhaps italian tailors are just that much better. Also, I fail to see how a tiny amount of extra weight would affect fabrics as stiff and heavy as most raw and barely washed selvedge denim. Had this been high-twist fresco wool, you'd have had a point.

By all means, keep your denim un-hemmed if that works for you, I kinda need my clothes to fit, denim or otherwise.

Last edited:

henrip

Reaction score

Jokes aside, I beg to differ or perhaps italian tailors are just that much better. Also, I fail to see how a tiny amount of extra weight would affect fabrics as stiff and heavy as most raw and barely washed selvedge denim. Had this been high-twist fresco wool, you'd have had a point.

By all means, keep your denim un-hemmed if that works for you, I kinda need my clothes to fit, denim or otherwise.
Pics would be nice. I’ve never seen that kind of hemming done nice 🤔

nachobarro

Reaction score
It was a genuine question, I would really like to see that hemmed pair.

Btw, any place to get a full Mk. I games suit in navy/olive cotton/heavy twill/herringbone size 38 blazer, size 34 trousers?

ikoiko

Reaction score

Ok, but he’s mentioning pre-distressed denim.

I have wondered how the shorter men in staff look books have perfect inseam lengths on pairs of bleached denim and I suspect it’s due to keeping the original hem intact.

I’ve bought secondhand denim with this process having been done, though have never had it done myself, and can confirm that the hem is slightly stiffer, but I like the reinforcement. And it’s completely unnoticeable. Kind of unbelievable, really. Actually, I’m wearing them right now. They’re a pair of Warehouse 1001XX for Armoury, 12.5oz. I’ll include pictures. I’m not sure how this process would affect a heavier .oz denim cut like Drake’s.

IMG_6538.jpeg IMG_6539.jpeg

Last edited:

ikoiko

Reaction score
It was a genuine question, I would really like to see that hemmed pair.

Btw, any place to get a full Mk. I games suit in navy/olive cotton/heavy twill/herringbone size 38 blazer, size 34 trousers?
Going to piggyback on this request! Navy herringbone games trousers in 34 seem to be obsolete… if anyone has a lead please DM!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I had purchased the Crosby Chukkas in Khaki Green, and two hours later the price dropped -45 €...

But then I held out for the Games Corduroy trousers in Brown to add to my Blazer and they dissappeared in my size (36) before any price drop happened, so you just never know.

But I acutally like that about the Archive Sale. The only time in my life when I ever gamble... oh, the thrill! :)

You should email them and ask for a price match. I did that with a sport coat from an archive sale a couple years ago. They said at the time that if the price changes with 48 hours of your purchase they’ll match the lower price.

nachobarro

Reaction score
I really like Drake’s Bucle Wool fleeces but I’m kind of disappointed that I’m starting to notice some pilling already after maybe 10-15 wears?

It’s inevitable with wool, but I hoped they will last a bit more before pilling.

Still one of my favourite pieces though!

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

turned_up

Reaction score
For piling I have recently discovered this device:

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/GC026_00/fabric-shaver

Maybe a bit riskier to use on a fleece but it has worked really well for me on wool coats/sweaters and works better than a manual brush.

On another note, it seems that their new tailored jackets have wider lapels and it seems to me also a marginally lower buttoning point?

https://www.drakes.com/collections/...b-check-tweed-blazer-1?variant=45687372611797

vs

https://www.drakes.com/products/brown-green-and-blue-houndstooth-check-tweed-blazer

Yako

Reaction score
I’m interested in the Hancock Chelsea boot and August derby, both of which are included in this sale in nearly a full size run.

Now, I have the Crosby and Clifford boots, and take a 10.5UK in each. However, the Hancock and Chelsea are made in UK rather than Italy and may fit differently.

Trying to suss out whether I’d still be a 10.5 in either. Does have any experience wearing both the Clifford/Crosby and the Hancock/August, and could comment on the comparison between the two? Thank you.
I’m interested in the Hancock Chelsea boot and August derby, both of which are included in this sale in nearly a full size run.

Now, I have the Crosby and Clifford boots, and take a 10.5UK in each. However, the Hancock and Chelsea are made in UK rather than Italy and may fit differently.

Trying to suss out whether I’d still be a 10.5 in either. Does have any experience wearing both the Clifford/Crosby and the Hancock/August, and could comment on the comparison between the two? Thank you.
I contacted Drakes about sizing for the Hancock Chelsea boot. I wear 7.5UK they told me to go down a half size 7.0uk. On Drakes website they recommend going true to size.https://us.drakes.com/blogs/news/best-foot-forward-a-guide-to-drakes-footwear
I'm not sure if I should go down a half size or stay true to size.

Ortip

Reaction score
I contacted Drakes about sizing for the Hancock Chelsea boot. I wear 7.5UK they told me to go down a half size 7.0uk. On Drakes website they recommend going true to size.https://us.drakes.com/blogs/news/best-foot-forward-a-guide-to-drakes-footwear
I'm not sure if I should go down a half size or stay true to size.
No returns on this sale - I wouldn't buy anything, especially footwear, if you aren't dialed in on size.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy