• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry S

Reaction score
View attachment 2086439

I just bought an RMFB nylon down vest in Japan from their store and had to size up by two. Works well over the Drake's liner jacket.

I got to meet the designer and talk to him. He said that Michael Hill was there a few weeks ago to discuss FW24.
View attachment 2086441

All Drake's (except shoes) on the left. All RMFB on the right. That's the designer.
Can I get an ID on the shoes?

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone handle both Drake's and Kaptain Sunshine traveller coats? I am wondering which one is heavier or thicker.

admp86

Reaction score
Hi Folks, new season polo coat:

I like:
1. The colour
2. Fit across the body
3. Wearing it open
4. Ulster collar

I'm on the fence about:
1. Lack of a half belt
2. Fit on the shoulders
3. Material crumples easily (arms/bottom of jacket)
4. The price

Anyone own this one or the previous version and their experience of it?
For £1600, there's more negatives than I'd like, but I can't tell if I've just built up in my head how much I was going to like this coat and actually its a great purchase...

Attachments

• 20231209_114759.jpg
    20231209_114759.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 20231209_114731.jpg
    20231209_114731.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 259

henrip

Reaction score
I must admit that I can not get that coat with that pattern out of my head. I am afraid you sent me on a hunting mission and now I hope one day 1 will pop up somewhere. Is it from fall 2021?
Fall 2021, i’d believe so yes. It’s a gorgeous coat certainly ☺️

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Fall 2021, i’d believe so yes. It’s a gorgeous coat certainly ☺️
This season’s houndstooth is really nice as well, imho. Almost sold out I see.

slows2k

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to try the green 38 with a quilted coat and thick turtleneck underneath. I was pleasantly surprised at how it fit - the cuff ends pretty much at the same point as the 36, the collar has more character when popped, and the added length adds to the sweeping feel of the coat.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about how it drapes on my shoulders or the sleeve line - the extra fabric of the 38 bunches up whereas the 36 presents a cleaner line. It's also a much heftier jacket compared to the 36 -- at some points I felt like I was wearing a cape. None of these are deal breakers, but they do give me food for thought.

Surprisingly, both the 36 and 38 fit over my extra layers without too much difference. The 36 was comfy, the 38 extra comfy. So it really comes down to certain details - cleaner lines vs more billowiness, the comfort of extra space vs the security of a solid fit. Decisions, decisions.

Here are some pics! I wasn't wearing the quilted coat in these pics because it was too damn hot. Also I don't think they quite do the coat justice but what can you do.

View attachment 2086597 View attachment 2086599 View attachment 2086611

This is perfect and it looks amazing. It absolutely does not look too big. Nailed the fit!

justinpledger

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to try the green 38 with a quilted coat and thick turtleneck underneath. I was pleasantly surprised at how it fit - the cuff ends pretty much at the same point as the 36, the collar has more character when popped, and the added length adds to the sweeping feel of the coat.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about how it drapes on my shoulders or the sleeve line - the extra fabric of the 38 bunches up whereas the 36 presents a cleaner line. It's also a much heftier jacket compared to the 36 -- at some points I felt like I was wearing a cape. None of these are deal breakers, but they do give me food for thought.

Surprisingly, both the 36 and 38 fit over my extra layers without too much difference. The 36 was comfy, the 38 extra comfy. So it really comes down to certain details - cleaner lines vs more billowiness, the comfort of extra space vs the security of a solid fit. Decisions, decisions.

Here are some pics! I wasn't wearing the quilted coat in these pics because it was too damn hot. Also I don't think they quite do the coat justice but what can you do.

View attachment 2086597 View attachment 2086599 View attachment 2086611
I think, as others have said, that this looks awesome!

justinpledger

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the replies about the Rocky Mountain featherbed jackets and vests - you guys are brilliant! I really appreciate it. I'm going to have a look tomorrow in Savile Row. Although the price does seem absurd.

I'm also eyeing up the shearling versions in brick or navy that are available direct! They're much, much cheaper too.

Mood Indigo

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the replies about the Rocky Mountain featherbed jackets and vests - you guys are brilliant! I really appreciate it. I'm going to have a look tomorrow in Savile Row. Although the price does seem absurd.

I am interested in your feedback and your photos if you can.

ponderosa

Reaction score
Did anyone handle both Drake's and Kaptain Sunshine traveller coats? I am wondering which one is heavier or thicker.
I have both. The Kaptain Sunshine is thicker and much more dense with its melton wool - the coat I grab when it gets truly cold or windy. It feels impervious to the elements, even though it's only partially and lightly lined, and has a great A-line silhouette as well - but also more structure and (soft) stiffness. The collar is excellent and stands perfectly. It's just a really beautiful coat that works with the rest of what I wear (DrakesDad adjacent Ivy) and feels great to wear. That said, I love the reverse box pleat on the Drake's coat from midback, and how it is cut and sewn instead of pressed (see Chrysalis and the Drake's bals of years ago).

There have been a few Drake's bals that are more dense - particularly the PoW from last year selling through this season. The green Donegal twill was created by the same weaver on the Isle of Bute who made the PoW, and in photos seems to drape with a sense of more heft to the fabric. I think the others (solids, herringbones, etc) lend themselves better to layered fits in winter as per lookbooks, and perhaps more temperate winter climates. It's been awhile since I read anything about stated fabric weight, but my Drake's bal is about on par with a Harris Tweed Chrysalis Kensington from a couple seasons back, absolutely more loosely woven than the 760g PWVC/PS herringbone, and the most dense and warm is the KS. I have...too many coats.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both. The Kaptain Sunshine is thicker and much more dense with its melton wool - the coat I grab when it gets truly cold or windy. It feels impervious to the elements, even though it's only partially and lightly lined, and has a great A-line silhouette as well - but also more structure and (soft) stiffness. The collar is excellent and stands perfectly. It's just a really beautiful coat that works with the rest of what I wear (DrakesDad adjacent Ivy) and feels great to wear. That said, I love the reverse box pleat on the Drake's coat from midback, and how it is cut and sewn instead of pressed (see Chrysalis and the Drake's bals of years ago).

There have been a few Drake's bals that are more dense - particularly the PoW from last year selling through this season. The green Donegal twill was created by the same weaver on the Isle of Bute who made the PoW, and in photos seems to drape with a sense of more heft to the fabric. I think the others (solids, herringbones, etc) lend themselves better to layered fits in winter as per lookbooks, and perhaps more temperate winter climates. It's been awhile since I read anything about stated fabric weight, but my Drake's bal is about on par with a Harris Tweed Chrysalis Kensington from a couple seasons back, absolutely more loosely woven than the 760g PWVC/PS herringbone, and the most dense and warm is the KS. I have...too many coats.
Man thank you so much for this detailed description. From what you said I think Kaptain Sunshine is exactly what I am looking for. But Drake's have a few pattern options that also speak to me. So I will probably have both in some time. Can you please comment how did you size on both or in comparison one to another?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quickbooksdesktop