• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

derv

Reaction score
And the Uniqlo U email announcement just hit my inbox while I was talking about lambswool.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tried an MA-1 (navy) from the U line here in Toronto since they had it about a week ago when the store opened. The fit is almost like the Alpha Industries one, so pretty classic. Shiny thick nylon and lined so mid-weight. Definitely traditional fit so slightly cropped and big arms and body. The regular line MA-1 has the added pocket, is a thinner material, and more like a slim modern fit with MA-1 styling (but not fit). Also, the regular MA-1 is about $50-60 and the U line one is about $90-100.

I'm fairly petite and don't go in for the fashion look so I'm going with the regular MA-1 not the U line version.

Last edited:

cloud5

Reaction score
The wool pleated trousers felt pretty solid. It feels like a thick cotton chino to me. It's suitable for a California winter, but not anything colder than that.

ASpec818

Reaction score
Is it me or everything on the U line more relaxed than slim fitted? The pants, shirts and jackets look slightly oversized. I guess that's the trend for the new season

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered one of the grey oxfords. I need more miscellaneous office wear.
As a Lemaire fanboy I still find it hard to buy this stuff, I don't know how you do it @gettoasty and @malcb33

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I think of it as Uniqlo inspired by Lemaire, so I use it as beater wear.

Comparing it to real Lemaire is only going to leave you disappointed everytime. It's 1/8 of the price for a reason, so the build quality and materials are never going to be remotely close. It is a great way to gain more appreciation for mainline Lemaire and grow the brand, fans and stockists.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. And we had this conversation before (looks like you don't need a proxy any more though
1f44d.png
) but I bought sweaters and elasticated pants before and I was still left feeling like "why didn't I just spend more for the real thing?".
I suppose I understand the appeal and all, it just seems counterintuitive to me. Like the cream rib knit lambswool uniqlo U looks nice, but I own 3 of the mainline yak wool rib knits so there's no way I could wear it without comparing it and feeling underwhelmed.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm only in for the pants and jeans.

Inexpensive forward facing pleated pants are hard to come back.

I;ve done my share of buying in bulk during the last couple of Uniqlo x Lemaire drops. Never again. Returning a huge box full of 20+ items at the store was shameful.

Last edited:

EdwardB

Reaction score
Picked up the shirt jacket in olive, pretty impressed for the price. Good fall beater outerwear reminiscent of something like Aspesi or Isaora.

To those in NYC: 34th St had almost everything at around 12:30PM.

Last edited:

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally agreed. If you've handled or own mainline pieces before, the difference is very obvious.

I think a lot of people treat it as Lemaire on sale which is not even close to what the purpose of this collaboration.

Unfortunately I'm still close to 2k Miles away from the store and they aren't doing online sales in Canada until sometime in the new year.

Last edited:

JilSlander

Reaction score
Checked out a few pieces today:

- Bomber jacket fits snug. The fabric is thick and the lining is warm. The fit is definitely Alpha Industries-esque: short and wide. I sized up to Medium and it fits much more comfortably (with room for layering). As expected, the hand pockets sit higher.
- Sweaters are itchy/scratchy. Nice fit though.
- The burgundy hoodie sold out immediately. Luckily snagged a Large as the cotton is thick and fit is snug.
- Short/long sleeve tees also sold out quickly. No surprise as the colors are great and fit is not snug. Copped black and green.
- The chinos felt pretty good too.
- Passed on the other outerwear. They were just okay overall.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads