• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Unbranded Brand Jeans

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
You running around shirtless? How often is your coin pocket exposed? The patch-over-yoke looks about nine million times worse than a selvedge coin pocket that is only shown in the rare time that my top is pulled out of the way.

Or maybe the shirt is tucked in? Beside what kind of idiotic logic is this - the top of the coin pocket is on about the same line as the bottom of the leather patch on most jeans.

I'm does with this thread. I spent 15 minutes thinking about these jeans, and that's 15 too many.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
The talk "wack as ****" at hypebeast, but they do have a point. I really hope dry denim doesn't become some hipster thing now.
It has been for ages. Don't you live in LA?
Originally Posted by slide13
Ummm...are people really that concerned about the patch going over that seam? If so....there are a lot of jeans out there that have that going on.
True, but my point was this:
Originally Posted by mlyngard
I think they meant the poorness of the application of the patch, how it's thin and stretches over the waistband seam.
That patch looks like a piece of nylon than it does leather.
Originally Posted by mlyngard
But don't we when we buy APC, or more especially, KMW, Samurai or (name another Japanese brand)?? That's a pretty common markup in the garment industry, isn't it?
You mean retail markup isn't 2.2-2.4??? MIND BLOWN. No, I meant that knowing how UO operates, especially in-house brands, they could be selling these jeans for $40 RETAIL but thrown in the selvage buzzword and they suddenly have to be priced comparatively to Gap, Good Society, etc.
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Well look at the yoke itself, it's a straight line. All other examples you posted have a proper carrier that angles up. Now look at the UO jeans, nearly straight across. That means that the patch is massively oversized in order to go across it. While the brands you chose tend to use large patches, they look nowhere near as big as the UO patches (although this could just be due to the fucked up proportions, it'll still look weird)
I could be wrong but this was the impression I got, too. Something just looks off.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It has been for ages. Don't you live in LA?

True, but my point was this:
That patch looks like a piece of nylon than it does leather.

You mean retail markup isn't 2.2-2.4??? MIND BLOWN.

No, I meant that knowing how UO operates, especially in-house brands, they could be selling these jeans for $40 RETAIL but thrown in the selvage buzzword and they suddenly have to be priced comparatively to Gap, Good Society, etc.

I could be wrong but this was the impression I got, too. Something just looks off.

Hardly see anyone with raw denim, but I guess that is because I live in pasadena. I'm not hip enough for the west side.

About the patch, it looks jsut as bad as the levi's "leather-like" patch. I'd much prefer naked and famous slab of butta patches.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Or maybe the shirt is tucked in? Beside what kind of idiotic logic is this - the top of the coin pocket is on about the same line as the bottom of the leather patch on most jeans. I'm does with this thread. I spent 15 minutes thinking about these jeans, and that's 15 too many.
Ew, tucking into jeans looks far worse than an exposed selvedge line on the coin pocket imo
lol8[1].gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
these are just this years model crappy selvage jean from UO. like the ones from last year that a lot of folks bought [myself most notably] which lost rivets on the first wear and fit like **** and had insane QC issues. the name of the brand is escaping me. I thought they were rad, but i'd be hessitant giving Uo 80 dollars for a pair of anything.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just checked out a bunch of yokes and I know what the problem is. All of the higher end japanes/repro brands (brands that pay alot of attention to cut) have more angular yokes where the loops are sewn onto the yoke seam. My crates and my KMWs do not have this. I think this definitely determines how the seat fits.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Hardly see anyone with raw denim, but I guess that is because I live in pasadena. I'm not hip enough for the west side.
Pas is hardly a hipster scene, though. Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, and further west to places like Abbot Kinney are all overrun by raw.

Even in Old Town I've seen kids in Nudie, APC, FH, etc.

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
these are just this years model crappy selvage jean from UO. like the ones from last year that a lot of folks bought [myself most notably] which lost rivets on the first wear and fit like **** and had insane QC issues. the name of the brand is escaping me. I thought they were rad, but i'd be hessitant giving Uo 80 dollars for a pair of anything.

Academi

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pas is hardly a hipster scene, though. Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, and further west to places like Abbot Kinney are all overrun by raw.

I've seen APC but not flat head.
Gotta pay more attention and look at more guys butts i guess.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raw is overrunning everything. I live in SGV and I see raw washes on every kid- all the mall brands carry some form of slim/skinny raw jawn (of questionably quality) now. Not to mention an Ashin influx over here= lots of hypebeast/sneakerhead culture, and we all know that now equals APC, Flathead, Imperial denim everything.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Raw is overrunning everything. I live in SGV and I see raw washes on every kid- all the mall brands carry some form of slim/skinny raw jawn (of questionably quality) now. Not to mention an Ashin influx over here= lots of hypebeast/sneakerhead culture, and we all know that now equals APC, Flathead, Imperial denim everything.
Get Smart frequents Old Town more than I do and he's told me about seeing some stealthbeasts from time to time. Don't know about SGV, though. The kids I see when I'm around there are dressed like... kids.
Originally Posted by robbie
akademi were last years Uo mediocre offering of 80 dollar-ish denim.
And we come full circle to my point about making regrettable purchases by trying to match what's on paper to the price instead of looking at the bigger picture. I wore those Akademis twice. Total ******* garbage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads