• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

Lucy J

Reaction score
Rain was only forecast for tonight but has set in with a vengeance in London already, and I'm up here without an umbrella...
1f622.png
1f622.png
. So I've treated myself, as a New Year present, to a whangee handle gents Fox walking umbrella from a shop just across the road from where my last meeting was, and I'm now in a cab en route to drinks with another client knowing that I and my black Burberry trench and black fur felt fedora are going to be safely sheltered from the rain even if the downpour continues
1f4a6.png
1f4a6.png
2602.png
1f485.png
1f444.png
1f462.png
1f378.png

Lucy J

Reaction score
Just home now in Brighton and delighted I have my new whangee Fox. I know some might find a (reasonably) pretty blonde in a soaked trench coat and fedora attractive, but I'm glad that wasn't me tonoght, and the fox did its job brilliantly against the downpour on my walk home from the station....
2614.png
1f485.png
1f444.png
1f618.png

Lucy J

Reaction score
Wet wet wet in London today and no underground running. I'm so pleased I wore my long black boots, purple waterproof Mac, and took my black and purple Brigg golfer. No real wind to trouble the brolly but the rain was relentless from about 11.30 and now I'm on the train back to Brightom with wet boots and a soaked umbrella but the rest of me isn't too bad!!!

Lucy J

Reaction score
Lovely day today for my walk to work in Brighton but back up to London tomorrow and the forecast is heavy rain or snow and gale or severe gale force winds. Careful planning for my outfit will be required. Maybe my Moncler hooded black parka and my strong James Smith 10-rib umbrella??

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always lovely to read your reports. Would be a great addition to add a periodic photo of the umbrella battling the elements!

Lucy J

Reaction score

Always lovely to read your reports. Would be a great addition to add a periodic photo of the umbrella battling the elements! 

Rescheduled my meeting for tomorrow. Not going to London now as the forecast for late afternoon and evening is heavy driving snow and 50-60 mph winds, so I will be in the office in Brighton and at some stage battling my way home, probably in my hooded Moncler, long boots, and my "Stormproof" Cyclone golf umbrella which is a fairly recent purchase and hasn't really been tested yet, but it's meant to hold up in 70mph winds. Whether I can keep hold of it in those conditions is of course another question........

Lucy J

Reaction score

Rescheduled my meeting for tomorrow. Not going to London now as the forecast for late afternoon and evening is heavy driving snow and 50-60 mph winds, so I will be in the office in Brighton and at some stage battling my way home, probably in my hooded Moncler, long boots, and my "Stormproof" Cyclone golf umbrella which is a fairly recent purchase and hasn't really been tested yet, but it's meant to hold up in 70mph winds. Whether I can keep hold of it in those conditions is of course another question........

Just seen updated forecast for tomorrow - several hours of winter storm/blizzard conditions with torrential rain turning to driving snow and 60mph winds.... Will even a vented storm-proof golf umbrella survive that??? I may have to see if there is a spare golf umbrella in the office to avoid having to risk my new Fulton cyclone umbrella......
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
2614.png

Lucy J

Reaction score
First rough weather for a while yesterday. Was walking home from doing some shopping when a squally hailstorm blasted through. Only lasted 10 minutes or so but was very heavy with large pools of water by the time it stopped. Probably only 20-30mph wind but I was forced to hold my James Smith umbrella horizontally like a shield. Not really umbrella-threatening conditions but the brolly was taking a real pounding from the battering hail and I only had one hand to keep it under control because of my shopping...

Forecast is for more rain and wind later this week perhaps with severe gales so there may be more challenging conditions to come...

Lucy J

Reaction score

Just seen updated forecast for tomorrow - several hours of winter storm/blizzard conditions with torrential rain turning to driving snow and 60mph winds.... Will even a vented storm-proof golf umbrella survive that??? I may have to see if there is a spare golf umbrella in the office to avoid having to risk my new Fulton cyclone umbrella......
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
2614.png

Just realised I didn't follow this up... Fulton cyclone umbrella survived the wild blizzard despite blowing inside out when I was nearly home so had to close it for the last couple of minutes of my walk home from the office. Thought it was going to blow out a number of times as the wind gusts of 50mph+ caught it but it only failed once so I gave up on it then to avoid risk of damage....

Lucy J

Reaction score
Looks as though we are in a run of wet and increasingly windy days... Just off to the office in black Burberry trench, red boots and red fedora, and carrying my 10-rib James Smith brolly. By tomorrow or Friday I may be struggling even to hold one of my Brigg golfers
1f4a8.png
1f4a8.png
1f4a6.png
1f4a6.png
2602.png

Lucy J

Reaction score
Have to go along the seafront to an 11am meeting at one of the hotels. Pouring and the wind also getting up. Waterproof purple raincoat and black and purple Brigg golfer will be essential. 30-40 mph so it shouldn't damage the Brigg but I will need to keep a tight grip. Might be a different story tomorrow when the worst of the storm is due with wind gusts to 70mph or more..... Tomorrow may need to be a day when I wear my waterproof cape as umbrella use may be impossible....!

Lucy J

Reaction score
Brigg golfer just about held up yesterday in 40+ mph gusts. Just about to put it to the test again on very squally walk home from the office. Going to leave my black fedora at the office as I can picture it being blown off in this wind and rain..... Even windier forecast later - may get a taxi rather than walk to friends house for dinner......

Lucy J

Reaction score
Squally showers blowing through now on increasing winds. Hope my Maglia can withstand this when I walk home in an hour or so, but I may close it if it feels that the wind is getting too rough, and hang on tight to my fedora.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads