• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback and appreciate it.
Does the Narrow fitting E width also reduces volume in toe area for F last. I only have U last shoe/boots but instep is not very ideal and for me sizing down half size or taking E width on U last could also cause toe area to be narrow.
Not sure if Vass can or offer a MTM fitting through email and that would be something I would be really interested in.
I have not noticed an issue with a reduction in toe volume. There are 5 widths at Vass: D, very narrow, E, slightly narrow, F standard, G slightly wide, and H, very wide. The slightly narrow and slightly wide are not dramatically different from the standard width, and in particular, the E width accomodates people with relatively normal width feet who have flat or low insteps.

As to your other question, Vass can do basically whatever you ask them to do, within reason. However, understand that there is both a slight language barrier and the challenge of describing the change you want in a way that encompasses the technical needs for the change. In my opinion, if you are not a stock size and want any changes at all, it is well worth the additional expense of going through a vendor rather than trying to order from Vass directly.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have not noticed an issue with a reduction in toe volume. There are 5 widths at Vass: D, very narrow, E, slightly narrow, F standard, G slightly wide, and H, very wide. The slightly narrow and slightly wide are not dramatically different from the standard width, and in particular, the E width accomodates people with relatively normal width feet who have flat or low insteps. 

As to your other question, Vass can do basically whatever you ask them to do, within reason. However, understand that there is both a slight language barrier and the challenge of describing the change you want in a way that encompasses the technical needs for the change. In my opinion, if you are not a stock size and want any changes at all, it is well worth the additional expense of going through a vendor rather than trying to order from Vass directly. 

Thanks for clarifying and that's great to know that E fitting is good for slightly wide feet with low instep. I will email Mr. Kuti to see what options are available in that direction.

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Went to see Mr. Kuti today, tried some shoes on F and U last in sizes 43 and 43,5 to find out what I should go with. Decided I liked the rounder toe of the F-last better.
I'm normally a 43, the F-last in 43 was a bit tight in the whatchamacallit part, where my metatarsophalangeal joints sit. Toe box? Anyway, a 43,5 was comfortable except for some heel slippage, so Mr. Kuti recommended to go with a modification of the last, 43 length and 43,5 width, which I guess would be the G width you're talking about?

So I ended up ordering a pair of balmoral boots on the F-last with said modification. Black calf cap toe, no punching, straight balmoral line, grey suede shaft with metal eyelets.No pull loop or speed hooks. Single Dainite soles seeing as I live on the west coast of Norway.

There was no markup from RTW to MTO, price was 174.000 forints including shoe-trees (9000 forints), which today is ~$610/€575. He deducted 15% VAT on the spot, so I paid 147.900 forints, $517/€490. Was told they'd be ready by mid April.I'll pick them up when I'm back in Budapest at the end of May, avoiding the Norwegian 25% VAT plus customs fees.
At three times the price of the dress shoes I already own, I'm hoping they'll be worth it.

Oh, he offered to have the cap glossed on delivery, to which I said yes. Should I backtrack on that and rather do it myself after a few wears?
No language barrier with Mr. Kuti by the way.

Last edited:

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice pool table.
lol8[1].gif

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice report @AdductorMagnus :fonz: From the pictures I've seen it looks like Vass knows what they're doing with shoe shines, so that last part is up to you.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for your kind advice. How does one go about doing so?

I had sort of assumed you had done this yourself, as I have never seen burnishing quite that dark from Vass directly. Now it's not horrible by any stretch and if you like the high contrast look then don't give it a second thought. But if you want to tone it down a bit just try some leather cleaner - small, gradual, repeated application - to dial back the darkness. Or else just slightly darken the rest of the shoe. That's what I did on a pair of St. C. chukkas that came with a bit more high-contrast burnishing than I envisioned and also in a slightly lighter shade than I had expected. Seeing your pair reminded me of them.

New:

orig.jpg

And then darkened a shade:

orig.jpg

Last edited:

berto

Reaction score

New arrival today: Vass Blue Bal Boots courtesy of @jokb

These are made on the K last in a wide fitting. Haf sole with Topy and metal toe taps. What isn't navy grain is navy museum.

I was a little leary of the K last in a bal boot and hedged my bet by going up in width. It seems to have been the right call. Fot through the forefoot is good and through the toe box just that little bit more forgiving. The heel is maybe a touch wider than I need it to be, but this is of less concern in a tall boot than in a shoe.

Overall I am tickeld pink... um... blue!

Here are the boots as they came from Vass:

orig.jpg

Then after a proper shine by Jok:

orig.jpg
orig.jpg

In the direct sunlight:

orig.jpg
My Dark Brown VASS Highlander Boots
5ef1acb0745f4dd650e04dfa552ea76e.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another year, another Vass: something I've named A Suitable Hungarian City Shoe in honour of uncle Will from ASW and the city that is home to the miracle makers of Vass.

Plain balmoral oxfords from black calfskin and light grey suede in F-last, Dainite-soles, natural welt and white welt stitching.

I need a new camera.

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com02.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com03.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com04.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com05.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com06.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com07.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com08.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com09.jpg

Made_to_order_balmoral_oxfords_by_László_Vass_at_Keikari_dot_com10.jpg

ecwy

Reaction score
Byron boots via Jeeves. The English Grain is pretty nice

Mine has been tweaked to be a plain toe with 360 goyser welt on the P2 last.

Quality control on this pair is good as far as I can tell. Only issue spotted so far is a slightly unbalanced sole (or maybe heel?) on the left boot so it doesn't seem to sit totally flat. Should even out with some wear.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold museum monk chukkas. F last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads