• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of putting in an order for a pair of F last double monks in antic cognac scotchgrain with a double leather sole. I want a shoe that's a bit more country than what I have.
I would like to see those double leather soles pics if you finally decide to go for.
Recently had occasion to try on, and handle, an oxford on the P2.

Two Observations:
(1) for me personally, the P2 is much better suited for casual styles, and
(2) too much space in the toe box (vertically) and too wide at the ball.

Moral of the story: the P2 is not for me.

I agree. I just wanted to test something heavier/different than the F last in an oxford. I will see if I regreat??.

Talking about sizing I wear 42.5-43 EU (27,7 cm and normal width D-E), depending on makers and lasts. 9 in Carmina Rain, Oscar and Simpson (best fit), 9E in C&J 337, 358 and 348 ( little roomie and large all!!), 9D in JM W Demi Chase (good fit), 8D in JM W 180 (best fit), 9F in Churchs (allright fit).

I sent Mr. Rezso the measurement of one of my feet (should sent both) and he suggested me to go for 42.5 EU. I was doubting ( not wanted short shoes!!) so I suggested him to send me the 3 pieces shoe trees in the 43 EU, an idea that came out to me from Monsieur Louis XIV in this thread (thanks). Rezso answered me that I was correct; 42,5 EU fit for P2 and 3636 lasts with a 43 EU 3 pieces shoe tree!!. Might I regret in this chapter too??, jajajajaja.

It seems its clear that on line shoe shopping is very tricky, so is to go to a prestigious shoe shop with sellers without any knowledge about fitting (or their brand). Me no trust them anymore...after 45 years of wearing good shoes and spending crazy money (little budget), what most account to me now about shoes is dammed FITTING!!

I will post pics and comments of my bets at arrival and in the meantime I cross fingers!!!.

jssdc

Reaction score
yeah i know this to be the case with american based addresses. not sure about europe however.

I'm in the Middle East not Europe (so in "EMEA") and I was able to place a direct order as a new buyer a couple of weeks ago.

FWIW Americans can just set up a courier address somewhere outside of the US and have the shoes shipped there. Starts to cut into the cost advantage over just going through a US retailer, but it's not impossible.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zapasman, if Carmina Simpson is your best fit, I would seriously reconsder your choice of P2 if you can. Simpson is Carmina's narrowest-fitting last. P2 is a very generous fitting last. I have wide-ish feet and a tall-ish instep. I can't wear Simpson at all without sizing up to the point that the shoe is too long. With P2 in a shoe, I would have to size down by a half. I very much suspect that the sleeker F last will be a better fit for you. But if you are determined to try out P2, then I defintiely agree with Rezso that sizing down by half from 43 to 42.5 would be the way to go.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks RogerP for your assitance,

I think it´s a bit late and I want to go for the P2 Oxfords. I might had to ask for advise in SF before but not wanted to bother with this important but recurring issue. I will see how is the fit in P2 and 3636. F last for 2015!

Then, do you think I should order the 3 pieces tree shoe in the same size 42.5 EU for both lasts or just for P2??.Rezso answer to my proposal of 0.5 bigger shoe trees for both last was... "Yes, it will be better to use a half size bigger shoe tree to the shoe. The 42 is loose in size 42. So size 43 is better!". To be frank, I did not understand the sentence, but he is got my foot mesurement drawing so....( jajajaja).

Here I am still on time for rectification.

I appreciate your advise once again.

Gracias.

Nullson

Reaction score
I'm in the Middle East not Europe (so in "EMEA") and I was able to place a direct order as a new buyer a couple of weeks ago.

FWIW Americans can just set up a courier address somewhere outside of the US and have the shoes shipped there. Starts to cut into the cost advantage over just going through a US retailer, but it's not impossible.
I find it ridiculous that people in the US must jump through the hoops just to get a fair price. Maybe a forum member should start a group buy.

jssdc

Reaction score
Hmm, never thought about that before...thanks for the tip.

Yeah they're not very common practice in the US because they're usually not necessary. Over here there is for all intents and purposes no post office so pretty much everything goes through courier.

jssdc

Reaction score
I find it ridiculous that people in the US must jump through the hoops just to get a fair price. Maybe a forum member should start a group buy.

A little ways back in this thread there was a discussion on this topic. Basically, Vass attempted (unsuccessfully) to gain a foothold in the US market and had to pull back. Without knowing the business specifics I imagine the few US retailers who began stocking Vass again required exclusivity in order to protect their price points which in turn cover their risks in stocking a brand that's pretty much unrecognized outside of this Forum.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A little ways back in this thread there was a discussion on this topic. Basically, Vass attempted (unsuccessfully) to gain a foothold in the US market and had to pull back.  Without knowing the business specifics I imagine the few US retailers who began stocking Vass again required exclusivity in order to protect their price points which in turn cover their risks in stocking a brand that's pretty much unrecognized outside of this Forum.

Do you have a post number? How did they try to expand?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads