• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I think there may be some confusion there between the chiseled tip of the toe box on the U, and the shape of the welt around the toe. The U last is quite angular and sharp around the toe, the K even more so - very Italian. But as this was described as "more of an English" shape, I'm imagining it less angular and smoother over the toe box, while with the "squarenes" coming from the shape of the welt/sole - like the English lasts mentioned above. Anyway, it's a little ambigious so far, so either way I'm fascinated to see.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, best thing to do is just wait it out one more month. I am guessing speculation will lead us nowhere.

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I really wish Vass would add a comparison shot of their lasts on the website already. It's 2014 for Pete's (or László's) sake. Not that I'll ever fall in love with pointy or square toes but this shot would help all long-distance orders greatly.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Surely "New Peter's sake", or even "Pete 3's sake" by now? Whatever that is...

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

agedashidofu

Reaction score

Lol that's a bummer especially if they are looking to improve on the U.. I only have one U and love it. I think if any of my ongoing mto was on U I would probably give Cootie the red light..

Edit- 10 pairs on U?!?!

It's the best fitting last for my feet. Have it in various shells, museum, various adelaides, etc.

However, now that I've thought about it again, the v gap on the lacing is already perfect for me as I have a high instep. Pretty sure the S last won't fit me if they're going to lower the instep.

Nevertheless - still looking forward to seeing it in a month's time!

dlind

Reaction score
Hm a lower instep would certainly be interesting!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Same here. Given that K, F and U all have similarly high insteps, it makes sense for Vass to offer something sleek for those with lower insteps. It's not for me, but a good move for Vass customers, I expect. PS - I haven't counted up my Vass U last pairs but it must be around a half dozen, and pretty much all shortwings as well. Yikes.

Last edited:

agedashidofu

Reaction score
Same here. Given that K, F and U all have similarly high insteps, it makes sense for Vass to offer something sleek for those with lower insteps. It's not for me, but a good move for Vass customers, I expect.

PS - I haven't counted up my Vass U last pairs but it must be around a half dozen, and pretty much all shortwings as well. Yikes.

I have a similar disease. I love adelaides and while I keep telling myself that I have enough of them, I keep ordering adelaides (v cap, wingtip, or normal cap toe) - though in different make ups and colors. Except for 1 boot and 1 austerity brogue, the other 8 are all adelaides...

Not that I mind...really like every one of them... :))

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U-last austerity brogues in navy calf just arrived:

orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads