• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hentaisan

Reaction score
are the bordeaux and oxblood (in shell cordovan) similar in color? which one is closer to color 8?

Last edited:

agedashidofu

Reaction score
are the bordeaux and oxblood (in shell cordovan) similar in color? which one is closer to color 8?

They're both one and the same (essentially color 8.) It's just that Horween's color 8 sometimes come out quite dark (like oxblood) and sometimes come out quite lighter purplish (bordeaux.) Horween's shell colors really vary depending on the batches. I've owned 3 color 8 and they all don't look the same (they were acquired years apart from each other.) If you look at a few pages back where I've posted the pictures of my shoes - they're the darker version of color 8 - closer to oxblood / eggplant color. I recall a few years back they were more purplish than eggplant / oxblood in color.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In calf, there is Bordeaux and oxblood. In shell, there is bordeaux. That last color is basically the #8, although not quite as dark or massively polished as Alden does it. It's between the two calf colors, but a bit closer to the bordeaux.

My guess is that if you knew how to do it and wanted to, you could polish it to be more like the Alden oxblood/eggplant/dark purple color.

Last edited:

hentaisan

Reaction score
They're both one and the same (essentially color 8.) It's just that Horween's color 8 sometimes come out quite dark (like oxblood) and sometimes come out quite lighter purplish (bordeaux.) Horween's shell colors really vary depending on the batches. I've owned 3 color 8 and they all don't look the same (they were acquired years apart from each other.) If you look at a few pages back where I've posted the pictures of my shoes - they're the darker version of color 8 - closer to oxblood / eggplant color. I recall a few years back they were more purplish than eggplant / oxblood in color.

oh ok...and are their brown/cognac shells the same as well? what about saddle shell? I ask because on their color chart they have only black/cognac/burgundy on their color chart but I've seen much more than that

Last edited:

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Me (all regular widths)
Carmina, Rain & Forest: UK7,5
Carmina, Simpson: UK8
C&J, 348, 337 & 341: UK7,5
G&G, GG06, TG73 & MH71: UK8
Vass, U & F: EU41,5

Based on this your size should be EU40. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advise. Would that be also eu40 if goes k last?

Last edited:

agedashidofu

Reaction score
oh ok...and are their brown/cognac shells the same as well? what about saddle shell? I ask because on their color chart they have only black/cognac/burgundy on their color chart but I've seen much more than that

Basically the below are Horween's colors for shell:

1. Color #8 - sometimes called Bordeaux (if comes out lighter purplish) or oxblood (if comes out dark purple.)
2. Cigar - Really dark brown
3. Cognac - Brown (darker shade but lighter than cigar.)
4. Saddle - light brown / tan (if you're lucky sometimes they come out orange-ish.)
5. Brandy - very similar to Saddle (couldn't really tell much difference between the 2) Carmina used to source brandy but decided to go with saddle since they're so similar.

6. Whiskey - very light brown / natural (if you're lucky sometimes they come out yellow-ish.)
7. Navy - Dark Blue
8. Green
9. Ruby / Red (it's not lipstick red, but rather darker shade of red)
10. Ravello - My favorite - Red brown (very very rare.)
11. Dark Cherry - difficult to describe, but color is between ruby and color 8 (bordeaux)

Confused? Me too - Horween's color is just so inconsistent. So much so that GG actually hates them - since the color never match to their specs.

agedashidofu

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. Would that be also eu40 if goes k last?

I think the general consensus here is that you would wear the same size between U & K Last (though K is more constricting in the toe box.) I recently took a risk myself trying the K-last in the same size. Luckily it worked out fine. If you read 5 - 6 pages back we discussed the U vs. K shape / sizing. K is a tad roomier in the instep, but more constricting in the toe box

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think there's also 'natural' shell, which is lighter again than whiskey/saddle/etc.

I've found the main differences between the different hues of each colour of shell are the undertones:

Of dark brown shell, congac is a simple brown, whereas cigar has olive undertones. Similar differences exist between saddle and whiskey. There are also just general colour variations between batches.

If you want a particular colour, ask Rezso to match the shell to it. I asked for a dark burgundy when I ordered and received that.

leicadokyu

Reaction score

Sounds like you would be a 43.5 in u last for vass. Sizing up half is not a bad idea if your foot is a little wider than usual.

Forgive me but i think i had measured my foot wrong so i re-measured it. Does this look like it'll fit in EU 43, U Last now? Thanks!

Instep: 7 9/32 inches - 18.5cm
Waist: 6 11/16 inches - 17cm
Ball: 6 inches - 15.23cm
Length: 11 inches / 27.94cm

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oxblood u-cap from NMWA:

agedashidofu

Reaction score

Latest acquisition, a pair of Old English II in plum museum calf, F-last, single Dainite sole. Lovely shoes! The leather is a bit less mottled than my pair made with Ilcea leather, as been discussed before, more towards what Lobb calls misty calf. For those who like more mottled finish, it's good news that Vass will buy from Ilcea from end of May again. The waist work with the rubber sole is really nice, they've trimmed it off to the sides a bit to create a small bevelling and a bit like a HAF-sole look. What surprised me though is that the hold heel is in rubber, the heel base as well. Never seen that before, a bit of a shame that you can't polish up a shine on that part, but we'll see how it will function. Enough babling, here's some pics: [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
-
Very nice!!! Would you know if this is Haas or Bonaudo museum calf?

hentaisan

Reaction score
Me (all regular widths)
Carmina, Rain & Forest: UK7,5
Carmina, Simpson: UK8
C&J, 348, 337 & 341: UK7,5
G&G, GG06, TG73 & MH71: UK8
Vass, U & F: EU41,5
I think I should be the same size as you based on Simpson and Rain sizing.

Did you find there being a difference between U and F lasts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads