• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you know how well they age if you only have them for a short time?

And regarding creases, it might or might not be a fit "problem" as all RTW shoes will have fit problems one way or the other. And sometimes even bespoke shoes will have fit problems...

Short time = 6 months for me. I know theres a lot of folks who have owned shell for longer than I have. From the 3 pairs I do own and purchased relatively close together I do like the way they have developed. I am not saying I am an expert by any means

Cal135

Reaction score

Its hard to say but to me it looks like the fit of those doesnt seem to work for you. I mean I only have a few pairs of cordovan but my creasing is not as bad as yours are. I think my cordovans have aged wonderfully and its been a short time since I have had them and I love them.

In reality the creasing is not as bad as seen on the picture, but much worse than creasing on any of my calf shoes. These shoes are about five years old, and in terms of patina and general aging, cordovan is miles behind of good calf.

In general there appear to be a small size difference between calf and cordovan, and also between different models (especially true between open and closed lacing). All my U-lasted shoes are in size 41, and if I would be ordering another pair in cordovan I would go for 0.5 smaller. Also 360-Goyser stiching adds a little bit on the size, regardless of the leather.

Swede66

Reaction score

Yes, P2 has a low instep. So I was wandering whether F last would be fine. Are there any picture of Old English in F last in suede? Thanks.

Yet another "user perspective" picture of the suede OE F last.

andreasky

Reaction score

Yet another "user perspective" picture of the suede OE F last.

I like oxford in suede a lot. I can see some fading on the suede colour (close to the stitching on the toe tip) where there are the creases of the suede. Can you hide the fading with a brush?

Swede66

Reaction score

I like oxford in suede a lot. I can see some fading on the suede colour (close to the stitching on the toe tip) where there are the creases of the suede. Can you hide the fading with a brush?

Sure, even with the finger. It isn't color fading, it's the direction of the nap that changes (if that is understandable :)) where it creases.

tcideneb

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise the difference between the F and R last? What I am interested in knowing is, is the R more sleeker / narrower than the F? They both look the same in the catalogue.

Also same question as above between the Budapest last and 3636 last.

Thank you

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, can anyone advise the difference between the F and R last? What I am interested in knowing is, is the R more sleeker / narrower than the F? They both look the same in the catalogue.

Thank you

F is sleeker and more elegant than R, the latter is more traditional brittish styled.

The Budapester last is the original austro hungarian styled last, very round and with extremely high toe box. 3636 is a bit more sleek and with a lower toe box.

You can find more info here: http://shoegazingpunktse.blogspot.se/2012/10/kopguide-vass-shoes.html
Use the translation tool for preferred language.

Last edited:

alloy13

Reaction score

Thank you

F is a very sharp round-toe. Sharp in its shape from the vamp to the toe box, and round in the shape of the toe tip.

R looks like the AE #5 last from pictures. But I only have experience with the F last, will never get the R last. So there's the bias.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I tried double to single sole. I imagine single sole is softer.
Do you wear them in rainy days? How does the leather sole perform?

Tapered sole is actaully reasonably flexible as well, it only takes one wear to get the shoe start up.
JR sole is the only RTW that I feel proper tough for heavy rain. A lovely sole.

Swede66

Reaction score

Thanks. I tried double to single sole. I imagine single sole is softer.
Do you wear them in rainy days? How does the leather sole perform?

Have so far only been out in an unexpected light shower, but I have other suede shoes that I've used plenty in rain. In my oppinion, suede handles rain better than calf does. The shoes are fairly new, but so far the sole appears to be very durable.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown cordovan, U-last. I have 15 pairs of shoes/boots made by Vass. Three pairs in cordovan. I would recommend calf or grain instead of cordovan.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads