• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price for RTW calf shoes has remained €450. For MTO €550. For cordovan shoes the price is now €650 for RTW, don't know for MTO. For a MTO cordovan boot I should also check the exact price.

The price of a pair of cordovan shoes depends mostly on the number of Cordovan leather pieces. Sometimes they have to use 3 or 4 pieces of Horween Cordovan for just one pair of shoes (of course this would be for boots or high boots).

I have the new price list in my mails, will try to upload it somewhere.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much a pair of chukkas in shell cordovan cost? Rezso quoted me 950 euros. That seems a little high, though. Perhaps he was referencing something else.

That is quite over the top. I reckon for 100 or so euro more you could have the St Crispin Chukka (altho in calf).

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is quite over the top. I reckon for 100 or so euro more you could have the St Crispin Chukka (altho in calf).

There is a pair of St. Crispin's ankle boots at a local store (Leatherfoot) that I am in love with. Retail price is CDN$1,800, or Euro 1362 at today's exchange rate. That makes for a difference of Euro 410, or about 43% more than the Vass. And of course, the Vass in calf would be significantly less.

No idea what St. Crispin's boots in cordovan would run, but in any apples-to-apples comparison, the price difference between Vass and St. C is subtsantial. Vass pricing is very far from over the top, in my estimation.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
There is a pair of St. Crispin's ankle boots at a local store (Leatherfoot) that I am in love with. Retail price is CDN$1,800, or Euro 1362 at today's exchange rate. That makes for a difference of Euro 410, or about 43% more than the Vass. And of course, the Vass in calf would be significantly less.

No idea what St. Crispin's boots in cordovan would run, but in any apples-to-apples comparison, the price difference between Vass and St. C is subtsantial. Vass pricing is very far from over the top, in my estimation.
I guess Fiddler was expecting the Cordovan boots to be around the sub - €800 given the prices of Vass calf boots....

If SC calf boots are selling around €1200 - won't be surprised their Cordovan can easily fetch €1450 +

It's still a 45% discount to Vass....can something email Phillip Carr to confirm...

Fiddler

Reaction score
I received a quote from MTO Paris for a pair of SC calf chukkas for Euro 1,130 incl of shipping. That's not too far off from the E970 for Vass shell....although of course calf and shell are not normally comparable.

But I fel this is offset by the amazing SC build and construction.

I suspect the price RogerP mentions has received some substantial mark-up, which every retailer is justified in doing.

Last edited:

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received a quote from MTO Paris for a pair of SC calf chukkas for Euro 1,130 incl of shipping. That's not too far off from the E970 for Vass shell....although of course calf and shell are not normally comparable.

But I fel this is offset by the amazing SC build and construction.

I suspect the price RogerP mentions has received some substantial mark-up, which every retailer is justified in doing.

Could you please elaborate on this. I have several Vass but no SC so curious.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I doubt it - Leatherfoot's pricing on Carmina and G&G is similar to, or better than that of other established online retailers of those brands. What's more, when I met Mr. Philip Car of St. Crispin's in person at Leatherfoot's trunk show, the prices he was quoting for special orders was entirely in line with the store pricing. CDN/US$1600 seems pretty standard pricing for calfskin St.C shoes - and these were boots. If you have an online source where they are selling for significantly less, please do share.

My source is here:

http://www.leatherfoot.com/shop/shoes/saint-crispins

St. C shoes are indeed fantastic - but I maintain that there is a significant disparity in pricing in any apples-to-apples comparison with Vass.

Last edited:

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the new price list open in front of me, Horween shell shoes are €650 exl. shoe trees, and for the Horween boots or high boots it says *special pricing*.

I was in the store in March and Rezso explained to me that the price depends only on the number of cordovan pieces they need to use. He showed me a piece of cordova, which is surprisingly small, and I understood that for some high boots the number of cordovan pieces can be 3 to 4. He also told me that Horween had raised their prices.

I'm still trying to find a way to upload the PDF file, maybe it will be best to just take a screenshot and post it here :)

Last edited:

alloy13

Reaction score
I have the new price list open in front of me, Horween shell shoes are €650 exl. shoe trees, and for the Horween boots or high boots it says *special pricing*.

I was in the store in March and Rezso explained to me that the price depends only on the number of cordovan pieces they need to use. He showed me a piece of cordova, which is surprisingly small, and I understood that for some high boots the number of cordovan pieces can be 3 to 4. He also told me that Horween had raised their prices.

I'm still trying to find a way to upload the PDF file, maybe it will be best to just take a screenshot and post it here
smile.gif

Please do. Cheers!
nod[1].gif

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a standard insert attachment for the forum on the post.

In regards to how cordovan is priced, I actually went through trying to buy some to play around with a year or so ago. The hides are graded on usable area, larger pieces are considerably more expensive. When you factor in boots generally need large single pieces for the shaft, you can see where the cost comes from.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks my man. I'd be very interested to see the pricing on shell shoes by St. Crispin's for comparison. I'd be surprised indeed if it were very much less than double the Vass price.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I doubt it - Leatherfoot's pricing on Carmina and G&G is similar to, or better than that of other established online retailers of those brands. What's more, when I met Mr. Philip Car of St. Crispin's in person at Leatherfoot's trunk show, the prices he was quoting for special orders was entirely in line with the store pricing. CDN/US$1600 seems pretty standard pricing for calfskin St.C shoes - and these were boots. If you have an online source where they are selling for significantly less, please do share.

My source is here:

http://www.leatherfoot.com/shop/shoes/saint-crispins

St. C shoes are indeed fantastic - but I maintain that there is a significant disparity in pricing in any apples-to-apples comparison with Vass.

See here:

http://madetoorderparis.com/eng/new-arrivals/saint-crispins/

You will see that the SC calf prices start from EUR995 (non EU) and that is not too far from the price on those Vass shell chukkas. As I said I have been quoted 1130EUR for the SC chukkas with shipping, which is lower than the EUR1362 you mentioned.

So I really wanted shell chukkas, I would rather pay a 100-150 eur extra for SC quality in calf.

Much as I like Vass shoes, SCs are better built at least to my eyes and touch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads