• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MRMan

Reaction score
Thank you Louis XIV and rikod. I really like the F last and thinks it works well for any derby I've seen. I also love the Dover, and want to pick up a pair as well.

Very nice archangle13! Please re-post photos after a good polish.

Can you take a birdseye view of the shoes?

Here you are:

MRMan

Reaction score
hey folks, is there a place to see Vass boot options other than googling, vass website and this thread?

Here is a link to a pdf that is marginally better than the website. You can mix/match and just about do whatever from what I've seen.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Thank you Louis XIV and rikod. I really like the F last and thinks it works well for any derby I've seen. I also love the Dover, and want to pick up a pair as well.

Very nice archangle13! Please re-post photos after a good polish.

Here you are:

F####ing F-ccentric...I am gonna take the plunge and order an F last.

Good job.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How's vass compare to GG Deco? Can't be close right based on price point

GG Deco has finer polish and special leather colour, that's it really. Doubt the GG are better made than Vass.

MRMan

Reaction score
As a follow-up from a few weeks ago, some of us North Americans were discussing costs of ordering direct from Vass, specifically using CurrencyFair. My very limited experience:

Shoes: 420 EUR, Trees: 30 EUR, Metal toe taps: 20 EUR, Shipping: 35 EUR
Total: 505 EUR
Minus VAT reduction: 410 EUR (woo-hoo!)

Cost to buy 410 Euro for wire transfer at my bank: 558 CAD
Cost to buy 410 Euro from CurrencyFair (same day): 544 CAD (near interbank rate)

Wire transfer Canadian bank to CurrencyFair: 25 CAD (stupid, but I could find no other way), no receiving fees
Wire transfer, CurrencyFair to Vass: 3 Euro (~4 CAD)
Receiving fees at Vass bank: Not sure, I sent what was asked (410 EUR) and there was no complaint.
Duties, sales tax, FedEx brokerage: 44 CAD

Total: $617 CAD - fantastic bargain IMHO

I saved a few bucks on the exchange with CurrencyFair versus direct transfer from my bank, but probably not worth the hassle of setting up a CurrencyFair account (although it is easy) unless you plan on making many purchases. CurrencyFair to Vass transfer required about 2 clicks of a mouse though.

When you figure there may be some variability in duties/brokerage, sizing issues, and the risk that Vass will send you something other than what you wanted, I think proxies provide a valuable service for a reasonable cost. Now that I'm comfortable with sizing though I will likely continue to order direct.

sdolina

Reaction score

Going to order the same shoes but due to high instep will go MTM route. Thank for the hint rikod!
I a meanwhile got this info about the Vass' suede (from the first hands), maybe you concider it helpfull:

We are using two types of suede. The first is a high quality full grain calf skin that has been finished for use with the flesh side out in brown, light brown, blue and burgundy.
The second is a good quality but not the same tannery. It is not as commercial as the others are using but not the French quality. These are: black, grey and green colors.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Brown shell by Vass just maaayyyy be my favorite color of theirs.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So... I have something coming from Vass.... it weighs 3.3 pounds, but I don't know what it is... any ideas? :D
If it doesn't have anchovies and extra cheese on it, I'd return it.

tcideneb

Reaction score
Hi, which Vass model would be the closet to JL city II shoes? Does anyone have pics of the Vass equivalent ( if there is one ) in museum brown equivalent? Thanks

Concub1ne

Reaction score
We are using two types of suede. The first is a high quality full grain calf skin that has been finished for use with the flesh side out in brown, light brown, blue and burgundy.
The second is a good quality but not the same tannery. It is not as commercial as the others are using but not the French quality. These are: black, grey and green colors.
Good to know. I've been thinking about getting some kind of burgundy or bordeaux shoes from vass, but this reminds me that I am missing the besung blue suede shoes as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads