• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I got some new Vass today. They're really nice. Here are some photos.

I like these both a lot and the photo of the u-cap keeps my interest in this style high. One thing that I note looking at these two photos is that the wing of the cap extends farther back on the Budapester than on the u-cap and it (therefore?) runs more in line with the curve of the quarter. Not being critical, just interesting to note this when seeing them side-by-side. In fact looking at various photos of Vass Budapesters, it seems as if how far back the wing extends and how it matches the curve of the quarter varies. Any thoughts from the gentlemen here?

Which shoe do you think has a better look in F-Last

River II

Austerity

Late in responding to this, but I personally prefer the Austerity.

archangle13

Reaction score
Is saphir cream or renovateur better at keeping boxcalf pliable and prevent cracking? Is it true that coloured cream prevents calf from 'ageing beautifully'?

Because so far, I've yet to see anything close to a nice patina on any vass calf here.

MRMan

Reaction score
First Vass - Kept it simple on the first go around.

London model stitched uppers, F-last, 6125 dark cognac, double tapered to single sole:

Date order placed: March 4th
Date received in Canada: March 26th.

Fantastic service from Vass start to finish. Even happier with the shoe fit/construction and love the 6125 dark cognac in the flesh.

archangle13

Reaction score

First Vass - Kept it simple on the first go around. London model stitched uppers, F-last, 6125 dark cognac, double tapered to single sole:
Date order placed: March 4th Date received in Canada: March 26th. Fantastic service from Vass start to finish. Even happier with the shoe fit/construction and love the 6125 dark cognac in the flesh.
Refined simplicity. What polish will you use for dark cognac? The actual shoes look a lot darker or duller than the pictures suggest, don't they?

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Refined simplicity. What polish will you use for dark cognac?

The actual shoes look a lot darker or duller than the pictures suggest, don't they?

They are brand spanking new - the leather already rich and deep in colour.
It doesn't wear and start to fade easily like leather from other high end makers
Just keep it simple and use cream to moisturise and keep soft.

Last edited:

archangle13

Reaction score
They are brand spanking new - the leather already rich and deep in colour.
It doesn't wear and start to fade easily like leather from other high end makers
Just keep it simple and use cream to moisturise and keep soft.

My brand new dark cognac shoes that arrived 2 days from you (same batch I guess), looks somewhat dull and muddy. And I'm asking what colour of polish you intend to use.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
My brand new dark cognac shoes that arrived 2 days from you (same batch I guess), looks somewhat dull and muddy. And I'm asking what colour of polish you intend to use.

Post the pictures here for us to review - mine was the Antique Cognac I received. Def not the same batch, these were probably made about 4/6 months ago. They came via a proxy at the time.

claes500

Reaction score

First Vass - Kept it simple on the first go around. London model stitched uppers, F-last, 6125 dark cognac, double tapered to single sole:
Date order placed: March 4th Date received in Canada: March 26th. Fantastic service from Vass start to finish. Even happier with the shoe fit/construction and love the 6125 dark cognac in the flesh.
Really nice! I love them!

MRMan

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen! Certainly not as exotic and eye catching as many other fabulous pairs I've seen here, but I need more simplicity in my shoes at the moment.

Refined simplicity. What polish will you use for dark cognac?

The actual shoes look a lot darker or duller than the pictures suggest, don't they?

Archangle13, I did not alter the photos at all and all were shot with plenty of indirect sunlight. They may be a a touch darker in real life, but no duller I would say. Re: the polish, I am also not sure what works well for dark cognac. I was just planning on using some renovateur for the first bit to see how it goes. If the colour fades or some scuffs develop, I'll have to reconsider. I don't want a high shine on these. Not sure if you have access to a store that sells Saphir products, but they offer a colour chart with a cut-out to make colour matching easy. I don't have one, but will order one next time I restock.

archangle13

Reaction score
Post the pictures here for us to review - mine was the Antique Cognac I received. Def not the same batch, these were probably made about 4/6 months ago. They came via a proxy at the time.

The first picture is closer to what I see in person. Looks like pretty 'muddy'. My family's first impression was "oh dark brown shoes".

I wonder if this is the 6125 cognac that everyone is familiar with? Or is there a variation between batches?

I'm considering Saphir's bordo or mahogany to give the shoes a more reddish tint.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice MR, most shoes I receive from Vass, except italian polished, looks a little dull, I always polish them first thing and look great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads