• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sm31

Reaction score

My P3s Alt Wiens are generally more comfortable than the P2 Budapester-- the ball of the foot seems to have a bit more space to settle in, and while the toe is not as wide as on the 3636, it does offer a bit more wiggle room than the P2. There seems to be more room in the heel, although it's calf as opposed to the shell P2, which may take more time to break in.

So the toe on the P3 is both a bit wider than the P2, and also rounder?

Vass describes the P2 as an asymmetric last. Does the P3 share that shape?

How's the instep?

And if you get a chance, comparison pic(s)?

Swede66

Reaction score

My first Vass delivered. OE with quarter brogue, single sole, mid brown suede, F-last.

Sligthly disappointed regarding finnishing and the sole lack a bit of refinement (seen from the side that is), a bit of a 'clumsy' look especially thick under the mid foot.

Also run on the large side (size 42), laces meet fully even with an extra insole. Afraid that this will be a problem when the shoes are worn in a bit. Not decided if I should have them exchanged for a smaller size. Don't feel like waiting another 5-6 weeks...on the other hand, I expect to wear them several years, and too large a shoe is no good.

On the positives it has a solid, well made feel to it, and a rich and velvety suede.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I appreciate that the endless sizing questions are a bit of a pain, but I have a different request:

Would someone with a collection of different lasts in the same size, be good enough to post a row of shoes side by side with the soles up? I find it gives me a better idea of the geometry of the last itself than a top-down view, especially as I have bendy feet - I like to see how the angle of the heel relates to the forefoot.

I'm about a 43.5, but as long as they're the same size as each other I'm sure it would be very useful. Would one of you high rollers who has Vass-age on several different lasts, be kind enough to oblige? Show me your soles....

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look georgous, a shame you are not satisfied with them.

What UK size do you wear in other shoes?
Do you mind to share pictures of the imperfection on the sole?
Which lacking refinement are we talking about?

In you place I'd return them, especially because of the fit issue.
Worth nothing to have a quality made shoe if it does not fit your feet.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So the toe on the P3 is both a bit wider than the P2, and also rounder?

Vass describes the P2 as an asymmetric last. Does the P3 share that shape?

How's the instep?

And if you get a chance, comparison pic(s)?
I don't quite understand the asymmetric thing, so I'll punt on that. There was a website referenced a few pages back that has photos comparing P3 with other lasts.

The instep gives roughly what the 3636 would-- i.e., more than most.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I appreciate that the endless sizing questions are a bit of a pain, but I have a different request:

Would someone with a collection of different lasts in the same size, be good enough to post a row of shoes side by side with the soles up?  I find it gives me a better idea of the geometry of the last itself than a top-down view, especially as I have bendy feet - I like to see how the angle of the heel relates to the forefoot.

I'm about a 43.5, but as long as they're the same size as each other I'm sure it would be very useful.  Would one of you high rollers who has Vass-age on several different lasts, be kind enough to oblige?  Show me your soles....

U,F,P2. Same size

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fiddler

Reaction score
These are super sweet...and 42 is my size...first thought when I read you're not happy with them was to offer to buy them off you....but I have a similar pair in EG mink suede. FWIW I have a pair of Bottega suede oxfords that are size 42 and also a tad big for me. But they are so beautiful that I wear them a little loose. No problem. I just lace them as tioght as possible.
Say hi to my first.

Nice.

Last edited:

Fiddler

Reaction score
Thank you, I agree, now that we're at it, here is the same shoe in bordeaux, my most (and almost only) complemented shoes ever, almost every single time I wear them.

Love the leather and shoe...is that a double sole?

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the leather and shoe...is that a double sole?

I ordered a double sole but Vass made a mistake and sent a double tapering to single, and I love it the way it is and would not exchange it for a double sole now :),

Maybe they said "Mr. Vass don't like a double sole here, he could do it but he don't like" lol

thank you!

Swede66

Reaction score

They look georgous, a shame you are not satisfied with them.

What UK size do you wear in other shoes?
Do you mind to share pictures of the imperfection on the sole?
Which lacking refinement are we talking about?

In you place I'd return them, especially because of the fit issue.
Worth nothing to have a quality made shoe if it does not fit your feet.

I wear 8 in C&J 337, AS 109, AS 99 and in Carmina Rain. 7.5 in AS 87.

Finnishing "issues" is sole edge color on the suede here and there, as when buying Meermin at Classic level.
With regards to sole it is not about imperfections/errors, it is just that the way it is done it looks thicker/bulkier mid foot than under the front part. Heel (height) and sole is lacking a bit of refinement for a dress shoe but would be quite okay on a double soled country longwing IMO.
Only a matter of taste.

Swede66

Reaction score

These are super sweet...and 42 is my size...first thought when I read you're not happy with them was to offer to buy them off you....but I have a similar pair in EG mink suede. FWIW I have  a pair of Bottega suede oxfords that are size 42 and also a tad big for me. But they are so beautiful that I wear them a little loose. No problem. I just lace them as tioght as possible.

Nice.

It's not that I am all disatisfied, I guess I only had a bit too high expectations. There is a touch of 'clumsiness' to them that I did not expect.
Other than that, I also like the way they look, and the suede is great.

With regards to lacing tight; the "V" is all closed even with an extra insole. Can't have them tighter if I wanted to. I can wear them now, but are afraid that it'll be too loose after a while.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear 8 in C&J 337, AS 109, AS 99 and in Carmina Rain. 7.5 in AS 87.

Finnishing "issues" is sole edge color on the suede here and there, as when buying Meermin at Classic level.
With regards to sole it is not about imperfections/errors, it is just that the way it is done it looks thicker/bulkier mid foot than under the front part. Heel (height) and sole is lacking a bit of refinement for a dress shoe but would be quite okay on a double soled country longwing IMO.
Only a matter of taste.

Swede, you don't have to excuse your opinion.
SF creates a lot of hype for several items and makers and it definitely influences ones expectations.
If you don't like the sole design, that's your personal impression and is perfectly fine.
Also, I understand that if you pay ~500€ for a pair of shoes made on a RTW last, you should be very much satisfied with the outcome.
Sole edge color on the uppers is not a sign of low construction quality, but it is a flaw in aestehtics, which definitely plays a big role in a 500€ shoe.

Have you had a look at this chart?
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuhgröße#Erwachsenengr.C3.B6.C3.9Fen
I just rechecked with AFPoS and it reassured me of what I was expecting.
AS 109 and 99 look like narrower lasts than 87.
From the lasts you provided information of, I would guess you are a true UK7.5 in length and only need to go up to 8 in case of narrower lasts because the shoes would otherwise not fit your feet.
You should definitely not wear a pair of shoes that does not fit right out of the box.
It has nothing to do with style, but the health of your feet.
Will you give Vass another chance with half a size down even if you might not like the sole design?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj_fl