• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the price of less than 400Eur (YES less than 400Eur!!!) you are receiving (eventually) 100% hand-welted shoes on the lasts designed by Roberto Ugolini (F and U).
So when you think of it ; Vass has no competitors in Europe or N. Am. regardless of how bad their CS is.
Back to the actual shoes.
A few things I have noticed about modern Vass shoes. Mind you this has been going on for quite some time. First, I have noticed around 7-8 years ago Vass heels and welts grew and became too large for my taste (new apprentices were making those? I don't know).
Now few posts earlier one gent complained about gapping problem and I have noticed something is not right with the heel of his shoe (too tall and short).
Look at the comparison shots of U last shoes. One shoe is from 12 years ago and one I received this week. Notice anything strange about the heels?
View attachment 1403536
View attachment 1403534

Is there some leather substitute stuck in the heal stack of the left shoe?

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
It does look like it, but on closer inspection it is stacked 3 layers of material covered by black paint. Underside of the heel is not painted and shows the layers.

Vince131

Reaction score
For the price of less than 400Eur (YES less than 400Eur!!!) you are receiving (eventually) 100% hand-welted shoes on the lasts designed by Roberto Ugolini (F and U). Lasted trees included.....:bounce2:
So when you think of it ; Vass has no competitors in Europe or N. Am. regardless of how bad their CS is. :bigstar:
A few things I have noticed about modern Vass shoes. Mind you this has been going on for quite some time. First, I have noticed around 7-8 years ago Vass heels and welts grew and became too large for my taste (new apprentices were making those? I don't know).
Now few posts earlier one gent complained about gapping problem and I have noticed something is not right different with the heel of his shoe (too tall and short).
Look at the comparison shots of U last shoes. One shoe is from 12 years ago and one I received this week. Notice anything strange about the heels?
View attachment 1403536
View attachment 1403534
OK heels are different. But when you walk, do you feel any difference ?
The old one is the left shoe ?

sforum1

Reaction score
For the price of less than 400Eur (YES less than 400Eur!!!) you are receiving (eventually) 100% hand-welted shoes on the lasts designed by Roberto Ugolini (F and U). Lasted trees included.....:bounce2:
So when you think of it ; Vass has no competitors in Europe or N. Am. regardless of how bad their CS is. :bigstar:
Now few posts earlier one gent complained about gapping problem and I have noticed something is not right different with the heel of his shoe (too tall and short).
View attachment 1403536
View attachment 1403534
who's Roberto Ugolini? He's the one that invented shoes?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the difference explained because one shoe has a single sole and the other one has a double sole tapered to single?

E. coli

Reaction score
I think you are overreacting (sort of like in South Park "Amazon Fulfillment Center" episode. Watch it , it will give you a perspective.

I suppose you are correct and in your previous posts you did inform me of what to expect and it played out exactly how you stated. Chalk it up to me being a newbie to Vass, it appears you are a fan of the brand and have grown accustomed to or tolerated the experience in waiting for what I hope is indeed a helluva shoe for the $. Thanks for your insight and experience with the Vass brand.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I found out that VASS is cutting uppers 1cm lower around the arch (5cm at the lowest point). It is true for U & F last. The shoes look more modern and sleek, but it might affect your out of the box fit and comfort. My older Vass all fit very well out of the box. These new shoes need a break in of a few hours, they are rather tight and painful out of the box.
Got myself another pair today. My pain tolerance when it comes to shoes is high....

sinequanon

Reaction score
I found out that VASS is cutting uppers 1cm lower around the arch (5cm at the lowest point). It is true for U & F last. The shoes look more modern and sleek, but it might affect your out of the box fit and comfort. My older Vass all fit very well out of the box. These new shoes need a break in of a few hours, they are rather tight and painful out of the box.
Got myself another pair today. My pain tolerance when it comes to shoes is high....
A few hours is not bad. I am still breaking in mine after 4 full days of wearing

Vince131

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my Vass shoes yesterday : 2 pairs
- 1 London 5-eyelet * U in size 41,5 Color & Leather: gold museum
- 1 Alt English * F in size 41,5 Color & Leather: brown museum calf
First time I am getting shoes from that brand.
Globally speaking, I am happy with my new shoes. Fitting is good even if I am wondering size 41 should have been better for me. I like feeling tight in my shoes.
Vass is not doing half size of shoe trees. So I asked shoe trees in size 42. I think it was a good decision because shoe tree in size 42 is just half compresed in my 41,5 shoe size. Shoe tree in size 41 should have been definitely too small.

The only bad point is the leather quality of the shoe Alt English * F : I can see veins on the leather :eek:
See images below.
I don't know if it's a big quality issue or if it's "normal" (and bad luck for me).
People here who have a lot of Vass shoes, what you think ? Should I complain and send back shoes ?
Please advice :rolleyes:

Vass_1.PNG
Vass_2.PNG

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my Vass shoes yesterday : 2 pairs
- 1 London 5-eyelet * U in size 41,5 Color & Leather: gold museum
- 1 Alt English * F in size 41,5 Color & Leather: brown museum calf
First time I am getting shoes from that brand.
Globally speaking, I am happy with my new shoes. Fitting is good even if I am wondering size 41 should have been better for me. I like feeling tight in my shoes.
Vass is not doing half size of shoe trees. So I asked shoe trees in size 42. I think it was a good decision because shoe tree in size 42 is just half compresed in my 41,5 shoe size. Shoe tree in size 41 should have been definitely too small.

The only bad point is the leather quality of the shoe Alt English * F : I can see veins on the leather :eek:
See images below.
I don't know if it's a big quality issue or if it's "normal" (and bad luck for me).
People here who have a lot of Vass shoes, what you think ? Should I complain and send back shoes ?
Please advice :rolleyes:

View attachment 1404917 View attachment 1404918
Congrats on your first pairs of Vass. International returns are a bit of a pain to me, so personally I wouldn't return them. If those veins were on the vamp of the shoe, I would be more upset, but they're at the quarters on the side, it's much more acceptable. At the end of the day, just be honest with yourself. If you are going to be bothered by the veins and think about them every time you wear the shoes, you should email Vass.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I think at any high end shoe maker these would be considered seconds. If it bothers you send them back, but make sure you can get an exchange. If they are out of stock you are out of luck.
If you don't care that much and plan to wear them then you can always console yourself with a thought that the price we have paid for these 350-370 is actually prices for seconds. :rolleyes:

Vince131

Reaction score
Congrats on your first pairs of Vass. International returns are a bit of a pain to me, so personally I wouldn't return them. If those veins were on the vamp of the shoe, I would be more upset, but they're at the quarters on the side, it's much more acceptable. At the end of the day, just be honest with yourself. If you are going to be bothered by the veins and think about them every time you wear the shoes, you should email Vass.
Thank you WhyUEarly for your point of view. Do you know if it's a commun issue with Vass shoes or it's very uncommun and I was just unlucky ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads