• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice! They look comfy.
Thanks. Looking forward to wearing them. The shortwing model really looks stunning on the F last. So much so, I'm considering another pair but as a derby in dark brown museum calf.

RahnDail

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm in the market for some brown cap toe oxfords, and I was drawn to the Vass museum series of shoes. My goal for right now is to nail down a three-pair collection for a weekly rotation. So far I've acquired a pair of Carlos Santos 9899 shoes in black, and I've yet to do much research into a burgundy/oxblood pair yet. (Side note: anyone know if plum museum is coming back? The other reddish colors from Vass seem much too dark for me, but the plum is 👌).

I'm eyeing the Vass Alt English I or II in walnut museum or gold museum. Curious anyone's thoughts on how they compare in person? Generally I wear lighter navy, dark grey (not quite charcoal) or dark green suits, so I'd like a brown pair that would match these colors well. I'm leaning towards the walnut, particularly since a lot of pictures here make me think the gold is almost too reddish and would make oxblood somewhat redundant. Also, given my color suiting of choice I'm not sure if the gold would pair well with those. But I could be convinced otherwise! Pics appreciated.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm in the market for some brown cap toe oxfords, and I was drawn to the Vass museum series of shoes. My goal for right now is to nail down a three-pair collection for a weekly rotation. So far I've acquired a pair of Carlos Santos 9899 shoes in black, and I've yet to do much research into a burgundy/oxblood pair yet. (Side note: anyone know if plum museum is coming back? The other reddish colors from Vass seem much too dark for me, but the plum is 👌).

I'm eyeing the Vass Alt English I or II in walnut museum or gold museum. Curious anyone's thoughts on how they compare in person? Generally I wear lighter navy, dark grey (not quite charcoal) or dark green suits, so I'd like a brown pair that would match these colors well. I'm leaning towards the walnut, particularly since a lot of pictures here make me think the gold is almost too reddish and would make oxblood somewhat redundant. Also, given my color suiting of choice I'm not sure if the gold would pair well with those. But I could be convinced otherwise! Pics appreciated.
Bordeaux is deep red. The red really pops under light.

Oxblood is basically very dark brown with red undertones. Think... oxblood. Imo by far the most versatile shoe colour there is. It's never redundant. It's a substitute for both brown and black. Unless under light, it looks black. The deep reddish brown comes out only under direct light.

Walnut museum is a mid brown colour. I'd say best paired with bright and mid grey. Preferably for SS season.

Dark brown museum is a dark brown mottled colour. Works on any occasion except when you're expected to wear black. Works with brighter and darker colours. More versatile than walnut, but again, may not be as optimal as walnut depending on usage. The contrast with brighter colours may be to stark.

Dark brown (not museum) is basically the same as the museum calf but flatter. No mottling.

Gold museum is a beautiful deep orange colour with brown undertones. Like a fire. It's flamboyant. See pics below.
IMG_20210901_162320.jpg
IMG_20210901_081021_edit_420994770514403.jpg
IMG_20210901_142058_edit_426322874643798.jpg

RahnDail

Reaction score
Bordeaux is deep red. The red really pops under light.

Oxblood is basically very dark brown with red undertones. Think... oxblood. Imo by far the most versatile shoe colour there is. It's never redundant. It's a substitute for both brown and black. Unless under light, it looks black. The deep reddish brown comes out only under direct light.

Walnut museum is a mid brown colour. I'd say best paired with bright and mid grey. Preferably for SS season.

Dark brown museum is a dark brown mottled colour. Works on any occasion except when you're expected to wear black. Works with brighter and darker colours. More versatile than walnut, but again, may not be as optimal as walnut depending on usage. The contrast with brighter colours may be to stark.

Dark brown (not museum) is basically the same as the museum calf but flatter. No mottling.

Gold museum is a beautiful deep orange colour with brown undertones. Like a fire. It's flamboyant. See pics below.
View attachment 1815734 View attachment 1815735 View attachment 1815736
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm thinking bordeaux (if I decide to go with a two-piece Alt English combo) would be best to cover that base; I'm certainly more inclined to stick to a "redder" burgundy/oxblood shoe. Pic attached is their plum museum which definitely appears to be the reddest of the bunch, but perhaps a bit too situational. Do you happen to own any oxblood or bordeaux Vass shoes and have pics?

As for the brown: as much as I find the gold museum stunning in isolation, I admit that the color might be a bit too hard to pair with dark grey or dark green, which I wear pretty frequently. I feel like walnut or dark brown museum might fit the bill a little better, but I wish I had more reference shots to be able to compare.

All that said, damn, those gold museums look great with that blue suit. The tie pairing with those shoes deserves a round of applause. Maybe I'll wing it and grab a gold museum as well for funsies lol...

Attachments

• vass16_c603b461-f4f2-4576-9bea-c44c7a383a01.jpg
    vass16_c603b461-f4f2-4576-9bea-c44c7a383a01.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 74

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. They're really stunning, but not your everyday shoes.

Bordeaux comes in different shades. There are bright and dark shades of bordeaux. Flat and museum. Some are plain red and others more burgundy like.

Here's bordeaux museum worn with a navy flannel chalkstripe suit.
IMG_20220411_140438_edit_1088516161198487.jpg

From right to left:
Black, bordeaux museum, oxblood, gold museum, dark brown museum, walnut museum.
IMG_20220725_200619.jpg
IMG_20220725_200622.jpg
IMG_20220725_200625.jpg
IMG_20220725_200631.jpg
IMG_20220725_200636.jpg

RahnDail

Reaction score

Bordeaux comes in different shades. There are bright and dark shades of bordeaux. Flat and museum. Some are plain red and others more burgundy like.

View attachment 1815762

From right to left:
View attachment 1815763 View attachment 1815764 View attachment 1815765 View attachment 1815766 View attachment 1815767
These are great references, very much appreciated. Funnily enough, even though I came here to figure out my brown shoe, of them all I'm most drawn to the museum bordeaux. Walnut museum second though. :)

In terms of ordering to a different shade (since I think I'd like a slightly lighter/redder shade of the bordeaux than yours), should I just reach out to their sales department for some samples, or can I specify that when ordering?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are great references, very much appreciated. Funnily enough, even though I came here to figure out my brown shoe, of them all I'm most drawn to the museum bordeaux. Walnut museum second though. :)

In terms of ordering to a different shade (since I think I'd like a slightly lighter/redder shade of the bordeaux than yours), should I just reach out to their sales department for some samples, or can I specify that when ordering?
Safest would be to ask for comparison pics of all their bordeaux shades before placing your order. Good luck! :)

phsiao08

Reaction score
Hi all - Question - what are the folrum's opinions on metal toe taps / half rubber sole? Worth the +60 EUR inclusion?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all - Question - what are the folrum's opinions on metal toe taps / half rubber sole? Worth the +60 EUR inclusion?

I think metal toe taps are a choice depending on your gait and walking pattern. Getting them automatically is probably silly.
Basically take a look at a pair of leather soled shoes that you have worn for a while and analyze the wear pattern? If it is wearing out significantly faster in the front/toe, then taps can be beneficial.

Not everyone wears out in the front. When I looked at some of my older shoes, I noticed that my toe was wearing out much faster, and therefore I now put taps on.

So - can be good. But don't spend the $ if you don't need to.

phsiao08

Reaction score

View attachment 1815762

From right to left:
View attachment 1815763 View attachment 1815764 View attachment 1815765 View attachment 1815766 View attachment 1815767
Awesome collection! I'm about to pull the trigger but would you recommend bordeaux or oxblood?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome collection! I'm about to pull the trigger but would you recommend bordeaux or oxblood?
Definitely oxblood. I'm actually selling my bordeaux. But it boils down to preference and context.

My decision is based on what I'm comfortable wearing, how it pairs with the rest of my wardrobe and versatility.

Basically, if you're comfortable with wearing more daring colours, bordeaux is fine. For me, one pair (gold museum) is enough. And I feel that gold museum is more different from regular offers than bordeaux that I want to keep it instead of the latter.

Secondly, put it in context. What does your wardrobe look like and what pairs well with it? For me, my SS tailored wardrobe consists of 95 % suits (formal and casual) which pairs better with my other formal shoes (black and mid brown) and loafers. My FW tailored wardrobe is 50/50 suits and SCs/odd trousers. My bordeaux shoes are cap toe oxfords, so very formal. With suits, I just prefer more understated shoes than the bordeaux, although it does look great with suits as well. For SCs, I prefer other more casual shoes like derbies.

Last, how large is your shoe rotation? Mine is large. I don't really need the versatility, but I appreciate it. Plus, I love the oxblood. It has the advantages of brown and burgundy. And it's so dark that in darker settings it almost looks black. So it goes with basically everything.

"Objectively" speaking, oxblood pairs better with more. But always assess in context and how well something pairs with your style and wardrobe.

phsiao08

Reaction score
Definitely oxblood. I'm actually selling my bordeaux. But it boils down to preference and context.

My decision is based on what I'm comfortable wearing, how it pairs with the rest of my wardrobe and versatility.

Basically, if you're comfortable with wearing more daring colours, bordeaux is fine. For me, one pair (gold museum) is enough. And I feel that gold museum is more different from regular offers than bordeaux that I want to keep it instead of the latter.

Secondly, put it in context. What does your wardrobe look like and what pairs well with it? For me, my SS tailored wardrobe consists of 95 % suits (formal and casual) which pairs better with my other formal shoes (black and mid brown) and loafers. My FW tailored wardrobe is 50/50 suits and SCs/odd trousers. My bordeaux shoes are cap toe oxfords, so very formal. With suits, I just prefer more understated shoes than the bordeaux, although it does look great with suits as well. For SCs, I prefer other more casual shoes like derbies.

Last, how large is your shoe rotation? Mine is large. I don't really need the versatility, but I appreciate it. Plus, I love the oxblood. It has the advantages of brown and burgundy. And it's so dark that in darker settings it almost looks black. So it goes with basically everything.

"Objectively" speaking, oxblood pairs better with more. But always assess in context and how well something pairs with your style and wardrobe.

That's the answer I was looking for . Big thanks!

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the New Peter and P2 lasts different names for same thing? Or are these two different lasts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads